Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Old Aug 11, 2020, 6:33 am

Programs: AC SE
I fly a lot of semi-expensive short haul flights, like YQB-YYZ-PHL-YYZ-YQB, which is about 1500 miles. I often pay close to $1,000 for those. Looks like I will now be earning about 6000 miles for those flights (3x multiplier if I book Flex/Comfort + 3x multiplier for my E75k status). Not sure if all those miles will be SQM or what but I'm pleased about this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 6:36 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I'm not impressed.
Rollover eUpgrades and the ability to earn AQD/AQM on purchases would be reason to switch one of my cards. Those are definitely perks.
Preo likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 6:37 am

Programs: AC SE100K
Interesting that AQS (or SQS) requirement for SE100K has gone up from 95 to 100 segments. I always thought that the number 95 represented something like ~47 weeks of round-trip flights for someone who commutes weekly between home and office with the exception of a few weeks' holiday. I wonder how many folks this change affects.

Agree that I don't see much for SE100K.
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 29, 2021 at 9:41 pm Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
Old Aug 11, 2020, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
Rollover eUpgrades and the ability to earn AQD/AQM on purchases would be reason to switch one of my cards. Those are definitely perks.
The ability to earn AQD? I don't recalled seeing that mentioned in the PR.

Award flights on AC metal able to access signature lounges at YVR and YYZ now?
meltedmarshmellow likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 22, 2021 at 4:30 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Aug 11, 2020, 6:43 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Looks like crap to me. The program will certainly be "more rewarding" for AC, but I expect most of us will be worse off by a good deal. Glad I didn't load up on points when they were selling them a few weeks ago.

P.S. Will "more rewarding" replace "enhanced" in the AC FT lexicon?

I'm not surprised on the devaluation and I was expecting it given how much Aeroplan miles AC was selling.
Are you talking about the recent mileage sales or Aimia and AC's general attempts to increase Aeroplan's business? The outcome was what you expected, but if the former, your rationale was wrong wrong. Selling a few billion miles sounds like a lot, but when there are probably close to a couple hundred billion outstanding, it's a drop in the bucket. Especially considering that AC has been issuing a lot fewer Aeroplan miles for flying this year.

Originally Posted by The YVR Guy
also, the VIP cards are METAL as confirmed by CIBC
What is it with these freaking metal cards? I hate the Amex one.

Originally Posted by airoli
At first glance:
  • AC flight earn goes to $ spent: "Beginning later in 2021, we’re introducing more intuitive earning for Air Canada flights. Instead of earning points based on the number of miles you fly, you’ll earn points based on the amount you pay for your ticket"*.

I'm pretty annoyed that they're implementing all of the negative aspects right away, but this being one of the few things that I expect to be good for me, will take months or even a year or more.

I guess this is the end of mileage runs with AC? Sounds like AC is going down the same path as UA and implementing a revenue based loyalty program.
Mileage runs for the sake of earning points (as opposed to elite status) have been dead for years.

As for revenue-based, it's not just UA; DL and AA do the same. And even airlines that have still been doing mileage by fare class have often had better alignment between spend and RDMs by having more levels to the charts.

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Agreed. Looking at it from an SE perspective, it seems like we've lost more than we've gained. But perhaps some things are still to be unveiled, including what it means that we can "often" redeem for fewer points. How many and how often is key!
They've definitely killed IKK. The 50% off voucher is nice, but with so few of them, it will be hard to get anywhere near as much value.

Originally Posted by Doors Closing
For people flying regularly it would make sense to stick to OZ for STAR status/earn, for all the rest (credit card spend mainly plus partners) it resembles a cashback credit card...
That's an overly broad statement and I don't agree. If you want things like upgrades or concierge service, OZ isn't going to do anything for you.
pilot007 and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 6:43 am
Suspended

Where do members see what the credit card spend entails with respect to AQD?
Old Aug 11, 2020, 6:47 am

Programs: AC SE
They've definitely killed IKK. The 50% off voucher is nice, but with so few of them, it will be hard to get anywhere near as much value.
I like it as a benefit, but need to know whether two people flying a round-trip would use 2 of the vouchers or 4. That makes a huge difference. Are they one-way or roundtrip?
Plumber likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Looks like crap to me. The program will certainly be "more rewarding" for AC, but I expect most of us will be worse off by a good deal. Glad I didn't load up on points when they were selling them a few weeks ago.

P.S. Will "more rewarding" replace "enhanced" in the AC FT lexicon?

[...]

As for revenue-based, it's not just UA; DL and AA do the same. And even airlines that have still been doing mileage by fare class have often had better alignment between spend and RDMs by having more levels to the charts.
I didn't buy any miles either. I wasn't hopeful Aeroplan 2.0 will be as rewarding for me as it would be for AC.

I was not trying to say that AC is unique for going with a revenue based program. I know the US carriers are as well.

Originally Posted by meltedmarshmellow
Where do members see what the credit card spend entails with respect to AQD?
I don't know what that guy is talking about. I don't see anything about CC and AQD.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 29, 2021 at 9:43 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Aug 11, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: AC, AS, BA Silver/OW Sapphire, DL, SQ/*A Silver, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Actually, the chart indicates that partner flights would have a fixed cost, while AC flights would never cost less! The new Aeroplan claim to be doing away with YQ yet seemingly AC metal rewards , not in a low-season) would cost way more than they do now on average.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 7:20 am

Programs: AP, AM
Has anyone figured out what this means for mini-RTWs with stops / layovers / etc?

I've done a couple in Y over the last few years and the 2 stops / destination / making use of <24h layovers have made for some fantastic trips.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 7:27 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by Beavertails
Has anyone figured out what this means for mini-RTWs with stops / layovers / etc?

I've done a couple in Y over the last few years and the 2 stops / destination / making use of <24h layovers have made for some fantastic trips.
Based on Lucky's post, this still seems possible.

Also, elite status qualification and benefit year is changing to align with the calendar year, starting with 2021. Any status that was extended due to Covid-19 will end by December 31, 2021.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
Based on Lucky's post, this still seems possible.

Also, elite status qualification and benefit year is changing to align with the calendar year, starting with 2021. Any status that was extended due to Covid-19 will end by December 31, 2021.
AC's program didn't aligned with the calendar year before?
Old Aug 11, 2020, 7:31 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
AC's program didn't aligned with the calendar year before?
The benefit year was March 1 to February 28/29.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: AP, AM
Reading now. Thanks. I missed this. I love this place.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 7:54 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM
Elite Status Boosts?

So in theory if you spend $500k on a Black Credit Card a year you will get all your SQM for Super Elite and you just need to buy 20k worth of tickets?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.