Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Miles Sales - May 7-15th 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan Miles Sales - May 7-15th 2020

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2020, 8:22 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
After the same initial struggles as everyone else, I was successful in buying 250K at 115% (so a total of 537,500 miles - which, via TAH, should also include 25K MM).

That re-fills my account after my EYW miles had been almost drained.
Old May 7, 2020, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
AC owns Aeroplan, and whether the problem here was on the Aeroplan end or the points.com end, Aeroplan was the one running the promo, and if they failed to get their contractor to ensure an adequate level of service, that's on them. And Aeroplan is owned by AC.
By that logic, Aeroplan sucks because AMEX keeps erroring out when I try to transfer my MR to Aeroplan.

I don't mind blaming AC when it's actually their tech, but "buying points from points.com" is not exactly a new system set up for them.
Old May 7, 2020, 8:23 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Oh well, can't say I'm surprised.

I think they would have been better just running a lottery. Maybe AeroLotto?

But they will still call this promotion a success even if they manage to piss off a bunch of their loyal customers.
24left and Adam Smith like this.

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
Originally Posted by lemmeTAN
Despite getting the error page, I just checked my junk mail and got a receipt for 250k points at 10:02 EDT - with no bonus points indicated... and 13 minutes later, my balance updated to reflect only 250k.
Exact same thing happened to me. Got the error but transaction completed as I got an immediate notice on my CC alert.
Base miles showing in account, no bonus.
I completed my transaction very quickly and confirmation email sent at 10:03 with only the base miles.

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I am impulsive--- bought some after all.

My transaction ended up timing out and got an error page , then had to go back to the main screen.

Checked my AP account and now have a deposit of 50,000 miles plus 115% bonus.
Old May 7, 2020, 8:24 am

Classic Air Canada... can't even successfully take money from us.
Old May 7, 2020, 8:24 am

Programs: UA
I do think the issue is with Air Canada's IT though -- it seems to be erroring out when the page at aeroplan-bg-sso.points.com hosted by points.com is checking with login.aircanada.com for something (whether that's account credentials or whatever...)
Old May 7, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by DCA1983
If you get an error make sure to check your account -- i "errored out" but then got a confirmation email and the miles are in my Aeroplan account instantly. Got the 115% bonus.
Unfortunately I wasn't so lucky, just got the error and nothing else, it also specifically said my credit card hadn't been charged. Haven't been able to get in before or since.

Honestly, maybe it's just as well, I don't really NEED the miles, after cancelling an RTW I'm back to 220,000 give or take. I've got some plans in mind for 2021, but there's still a lot of uncertainty with the business, the future, flying and what you'll actually get on board etc. I was gonna buy 107,500 for $1500 cuz I absolutely know I can get more than 1.4cpm in value out of them. But already down to 90% bonus AND still can't get on the page...

It def went quickly. 10,000,000 sounded like a lot, but it's only $140,000 CAD for them. Based on the $1B loss they just posted this is a good idea, but not even a drop in the bucket.
Old May 7, 2020, 8:26 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
By that logic, Aeroplan sucks because AMEX keeps erroring out when I try to transfer my MR to Aeroplan.
No, in that case, your beef should be with Amex.

I don't mind blaming AC when it's actually their tech, but "buying points from points.com" is not exactly a new system set up for them.
It really doesn't matter where the flaw was, whether it was in the Aeroplan system, the points.com one, or the connection between the two. I'm an Aeroplan customer with no relationship with points.com. I would only be dealing with points.com to participate in an Aeroplan promo, and on a points.com microsite that's designed to look like you haven't left the Aeroplan site.

You may be correct that the technical problem was on the points.com end, but Aeroplan was the one running the promo, so it was on them to ensure that the IT would work. When I do business with a company, I don't accept failures of their contractors or sub-contractors as an excuse for poor service. If the contractor can't deliver the service, don't hire them.
Old May 7, 2020, 8:28 am

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Tit, UA Silver
Finally got it at 90%.
Old May 7, 2020, 8:28 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
In around 7:08 Pacific, after erroring the 1st 8-10 times trying to get to the screen.

Once you got in on the payment page with the bonus showing, everything went through smoothly
Locked in at 115% bonus

60K Base + 69K Bonus for 1800 CAD.

To whomever who bought miles that didn't have the Bonus showing on the screen, I would say you guys have some housekeeping to do.
Old May 7, 2020, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I'm shocked that I got 115% at 7:09a.
Wondering if they actually sold more than 10M at 115% considering all the numbers posted above... in the small FT universe.
Old May 7, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: Air Canada 35K, Hilton HHonors Diamond; Marriot Gold; Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
In around 7:08 Pacific, after erroring the 1st 8-10 times trying to get to the screen.

Once you got in on the payment page with the bonus showing, everything went through smoothly
Locked in at 115% bonus

60K Base + 69K Bonus for 1800 CAD.

To whomever who bought miles that didn't have the Bonus showing on the screen, I would say you guys have some housekeeping to do.

Whom would you seek out for Housekeeping though? Do I look to points.com? AC? Do I file a claim with Amex since I technically was not granted what I purchased? Sorry for such elementary questions ... But this is my first time doing anything of this nature..
Old May 7, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
I've now reached the payment page twice, and have had the payment fail to process twice.
Old May 7, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Couldn't get in for a while, then got in, bought at 110%...errored out "credit card not charged"

Refreshed like 100 times, never got in

Finally get back in at 90%, errored out "credit card not charged"...

Laughable

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.