Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Is a three month ticket refund window standard with Air Canada?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Is a three month ticket refund window standard with Air Canada?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2020, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Adam1222
I respectfully disagree that there is anything "easy", as I am in this situation and have been waiting since April. Since the original charge was more than a year ago, I cannot do a credit card charge back
Well no, once you are at the mercy of this joke of an airline, and chargeback is not an option - I agree, its not easy.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 4:30 pm

Well, I received an email on August 12 that they have processed a refund for one of my ticket cancellations on May 4, so only 100 days to "process" a refund. I put process in quotes because I haven't actually received the refund on my card and the email says that it could take two months for the refund to show up in my account. It is not clear why a process that takes my business 48-72 hours to complete takes Air Canada between 102 and 160 days to complete. Even if I have to send a refund back through an OTA, it doesn't take more than 3 weeks.
Not to mention, there is still no sign of a refund for the other 5 tickets that I cancelled the same day.

Last edited by farnorthtrader; Aug 14, 2020 at 5:02 pm
Old Aug 14, 2020, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I received an email today from "Refund Services" indicating my refund of taxes and fees had been processed. I had canceled the flight with Aeroplan on April 7, but Aeroplan realized they didn't properly request a refund from Air Canada until May 6. (Still not posted on my Amex though.) So, 100 days for me. Remarkable. I've had cancellations with AA, UA, DL, IB, and Jet2....none took anywhere close to this long.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I received an email today from "Refund Services" indicating my refund of taxes and fees had been processed. I had canceled the flight with Aeroplan on April 7, but Aeroplan realized they didn't properly request a refund from Air Canada until May 6. (Still not posted on my Amex though.) So, 100 days for me. Remarkable. I've had cancellations with AA, UA, DL, IB, and Jet2....none took anywhere close to this long.
Good to have datapoints in this thread. Gives me hope that my 28/05 Aeroplan refund request will be processed in 3 weeks

And yes, this is ridiculous.
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Well, I received an email on August 12 that they have processed a refund for one of my ticket cancellations on May 4, so only 100 days to "process" a refund. I put process in quotes because I haven't actually received the refund on my card and the email says that it could take two months for the refund to show up in my account. It is not clear why a process that takes my business 48-72 hours to complete takes Air Canada between 102 and 160 days to complete. Even if I have to send a refund back through an OTA, it doesn't take more than 3 weeks.
Not to mention, there is still no sign of a refund for the other 5 tickets that I cancelled the same day.
Luckily once the email comes from Refund Services, I've gotten the money back within 5 days - I'd be surprised if its not there Monday - but you never know with this garbage airline.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 2:53 pm

My refund request from May 15 was finally processed today by Air Canada. It only took them 108 days.
rankourabu likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 5:04 pm

Could they actually be slowing down? Do they just check their bank account each morning and process refunds until they run out of money?
Old Sep 8, 2020, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I booked a flight in May from YYZ to GRU. Today AC advised me by email that the flight is now cancelled. Can I get a refund or should I initiate a chargeback?
Old Sep 9, 2020, 5:39 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I booked a flight in May from YYZ to GRU. Today AC advised me by email that the flight is now cancelled. Can I get a refund or should I initiate a chargeback?
You should always contact the merchant first before initiating a charge back.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You should always contact the merchant first before initiating a charge back.

Of course that would be my first step as well. The reason why I posted the question was to determine if AC has had a change of heart lately with regards to refunds when they cancel flights. My London flights for May were cancelled and I was not given the refund option except a voucher. I did not pursue chargeback as it was only $350 per ticket(o/w)
Old Sep 9, 2020, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Of course that would be my first step as well. The reason why I posted the question was to determine if AC has had a change of heart lately with regards to refunds when they cancel flights. My London flights for May were cancelled and I was not given the refund option except a voucher. I did not pursue chargeback as it was only $350 per ticket(o/w)
The only language these thieves understand is a chargeback.
After the denial, file immediately - hope you are not past the 90/120 day deadline depending on the card
Old Sep 9, 2020, 1:23 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
For the record. Requested a refund on August 30 and had credit on Amex card by end of week. Seems refunds are back to normal now (at least for refundable tickets). It took Swiss from February until late July to get 2 tickets refunded - that were also refundable.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
AC refundable tickets have always been quick unless something specific about the ticket causes issues. I've refunded dozens of tickets in the last 6 months, and never had to wait more than a week.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
For the record. Requested a refund on August 30 and had credit on Amex card by end of week. Seems refunds are back to normal now (at least for refundable tickets). It took Swiss from February until late July to get 2 tickets refunded - that were also refundable.
It's the manual refunds that are taking 4+ months that had more than one transaction or a reissue

My Swiss ticket took less than 2 weeks to refund.

Automatic AC and automatic Aeroplan refunds have been fast.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
The only language these thieves understand is a chargeback.
After the denial, file immediately - hope you are not past the 90/120 day deadline depending on the card
We booked the cheapest AC ticket to GRU as the fares are high and the ticket is non refundable. The credit card is RBC Avion.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by hitek0007
My refund request from May 15 was finally processed today by Air Canada. It only took them 108 days.
Refund still hasn't posted to my credit card. How long has it taken for refunds to actually show up?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.