Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Is a three month ticket refund window standard with Air Canada?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Is a three month ticket refund window standard with Air Canada?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2020, 6:58 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
I miss my Baseball...I really do......so bored

Cancelled three AP tickets including one for my son, including going to Spring Training! Points and funds into my account within two days 100%
Cancelled Hilton pre-paid non-refundbale reservation. Funds into my account within one day 100%
Cancelled VIA Rail advanced ticket (Jays game last long weekend) funds into my account within three days 100%
Cancelled six tickets via Ticketmaster BlueJays tickets - Took three weeks, but funds into my account 100%
One reservation left for CDG in June on AC, waiting for AC to cancel so I get my 100% refund EU260

The key is to not panic, be nice, be understanding and simply ask for the refund

As an essential worker in the financial industry, I see way too many people lose their sheep! You cant be losing your sheep in crises! Losing your sheep is baaaaaaaad
Old Apr 26, 2020, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For cash-paid tickets, just wait a reasonable period of time and then initiate a chargeback with your credit card issuer (bank). The easier you make the package you submit, the better,. Include your e-ticket receipt, the cancellation notice, your request for a refund and either denial or a note that you have not heard back. Be sure to keep copies or screenshots of everything (no different than any other transaction).

If your ticket included segments departing the EU, then EC 261/2004 requires a refund be initiated within 7 days. If your ticket included segments to or from the US, then US DOT rules require a refund be initiated within 7 days. Thus, a chargeback for those tickets is certainly in order on the 8th day.

No need to waste time chasing AC and spending time on the phone.
Old May 2, 2020, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was told today that "even with your status, the current refund delay is of 50 days." Status being SE.

I have a hrd time believing that it's just because the refund people are busy... They must be trying their best to keep our money as long as they reasonably can. Anyway, another three weeks, not a big deal to wait, at least I know what's going on.
Old May 2, 2020, 1:57 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Stranger
I was told today that "even with your status, the current refund delay is of 50 days." Status being SE.

I have a hrd time believing that it's just because the refund people are busy... They must be trying their best to keep our money as long as they reasonably can. Anyway, another three weeks, not a big deal to wait, at least I know what's going on.
I cancelled a ticket on February 24th. I have still not gotten my fees/taxes back.

I initiated a chargeback with my card issuer (not Amex, unfortunately) on April 19th. They haven't even processed the temporary credit to my card.

Let alone the several other amounts AC/Aeroplan owe me from tickets cancelled in late March/early April.

AC/Aeroplan are not endearing themselves to me at the moment. Neither is my credit card issuer.
Old May 2, 2020, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I refunded an Aeroplan booking on March 1. The points showed up right away, and the tax/fee refund was submitted for manually processing. I received an email on March 1 indicating this ("Air Canada: your refund request has been received")

It was processed May 1.

I'm not commenting on whether that's acceptable (or legal given the US origin), but I certainly believe any claims of "2 months".
Old May 2, 2020, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist

Yeah, I agree with this sentiment. It's been over 30 business days since I initiated my refund request. I have a hard time believing that their refunds department is *so backlogged* that it takes them over 6 weeks (and counting!) to process a refund, and really why should they give my money back? There's really nothing I can do other than chargeback on the credit card side, which I did, but that also seems similarly backlogged.
Old May 2, 2020, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Polytonic
I have a hard time believing that their refunds department is *so backlogged* that it takes them over 6 weeks (and counting!) to process a refund, and really why should they give my money back?
Why? I just posted a 2 month example.

Originally Posted by Polytonic
There's really nothing I can do other than chargeback on the credit card side, which I did, but that also seems similarly backlogged.
So you think the backlog on the CC side is fine, but not on the airline side?
Old May 3, 2020, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
So called in for cancelled Aeroplan rewards on March 28 after investigating the ticket and seeing it "open for use".
Points were back the next day, but money never was. Amazingly, it was never queued (cancelled via agent) - the agent called ticketing, and emails were miracolously sent immediately confirming the refunds.

Looks like AC is hoping you'll just forget about the refunds, because it seems like they certainly have the ability to process them by pressing one button.
Old May 3, 2020, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
it seems like they certainly have the ability to process them by pressing one button.
THat's not what the agent I talked to told me. She could not.
Old May 3, 2020, 1:10 pm

There are two different situations that I've seen:

1. Trivial refund. Ticketing can basically "press one button". However, by forcing the agent to do the refund on the phone, you're just cutting in front of the queue, and tying up the phone lines. Ticketing is processing them in order, and making them do yours just disrupts that.

2. Complicated refund. This gets sent off to the AC refund department. This is generally required when you've done numerous exchanges, especially when the ticket was booked pre-Amadeus, or there have been involuntary schedule changes with no ADCOL.
Old May 3, 2020, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
1. Trivial refund. Ticketing can basically "press one button". However, by forcing the agent to do the refund on the phone, you're just cutting in front of the queue, and tying up the phone lines. Ticketing is processing them in order, and making them do yours just disrupts that.

2. Complicated refund. This gets sent off to the AC refund department. This is generally required when you've done numerous exchanges, especially when the ticket was booked pre-Amadeus, or there have been involuntary schedule changes with no ADCOL.
1. Unless of course they never put the ticket in the queue in the first place..... Maybe you are happy to blindly believe AC is on top of things, but after a month of waiting for AC incompetence (or malice) - I m calling.

2. I waited 2.5 months for a partial refund due that had to be done manually.... Jan.5-Mar.22. And thats before virus!
Old May 3, 2020, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mine fit in the latter category. Had suffered some involuntary changes.

When I called, a month ago, the agent did not know how to handle it and had to put me on hold and ask for help.
Old May 3, 2020, 3:26 pm

Mine fit in the latter category. Had suffered some involuntary changes.

When I called, a month ago, the agent did not know how to handle it and had to put me on hold and ask for help.
If they were able to refund it while you remained on the phone, it was not complicated.
Old May 3, 2020, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If they were able to refund it while you remained on the phone, it was not complicated.
They could not. THat was a month ago and I called again recently, was told for SEs the delay is 50 days...
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 4, 2020, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kind of funny though, compensation cheques are coming relatively quick, quite a bit faster than refunds. Which for us ends up being more money...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.