Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Is a three month ticket refund window standard with Air Canada?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Is a three month ticket refund window standard with Air Canada?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2020, 8:40 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Gotcha. Unfortunately, I had called Aeroplan before and they told me I had to talk to Air Canada.
I would try Aeroplan again and see what happens. As I mentioned above, I was twice told there was nothing they could do, it was in the queue, only AC could handle it, to all of a sudden being told the guy would talk to ticketing and having it done in 5 minutes.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 9:36 am

Programs: Altitude 75K, LT Marriott Platinum
Are people finding anyway of speaking with anyone? I received confirmation of my refund request on May 6, the online status check shows "Open" with a "status date" of 06/05/2020. I have tried many options on the phone menu and just get sent to the website, and the customer support email form says they wont respond to issues about ticket cancellations.
Hi Adam, I have been waiting since April 8 for a refund and I was informed recently by an AC employee on July 7 that refunds dated April 4 are now being processed. It has been absolutely frustrating the run around by AC and as someone already eluded the initial request for my refund was not queued properly, so approximately 3 weeks the request was in limbo. If I don't receive the refund by July 13, I will contact my credit card company to follow-up with AC. Good luck receiving your refund.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I would try Aeroplan again and see what happens. As I mentioned above, I was twice told there was nothing they could do, it was in the queue, only AC could handle it, to all of a sudden being told the guy would talk to ticketing and having it done in 5 minutes.
Yeah, you must have a magic touch, as I've tried Aeroplan two more times.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 7:43 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Yeah, you must have a magic touch, as I've tried Aeroplan two more times.
And you got through to a person and they refused to do anything about it?
Old Jul 11, 2020, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
And you got through to a person and they refused to do anything about it?
Correct. They said that it is within Air Canada's control. They checked the refund services website, as I had done. One said I should send Air Canada an email.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 9:41 am

Oh my god, I emailed air canada about my refund of fees and taxes that have been waiting 10 weeks now and, after waiting 12 days, got this response:
Dear Mr. (Fornorthtrader),
Thank you for contacting us about your refund request.

Respectfully, Customer Relations is unable to assist you on this matter, we invite you to contact Aeroplan directly for assistance. I have included their contact information below for your reference.

Aeroplan contact information is available at: www.aeroplan.com/helpcenter/contact-us

Please note that general information can be found at: www.aeroplan.com

Your concerns can also be addressed by the Aeroplan Customer Service Centre. Please contact them directly at:

1-800-361-5373.
We appreciate your understanding in this matter, and look forward to welcoming you on board again in the near future.
Sincerely,
Orfan Alvarez
Customer Relations

Last edited by farnorthtrader; Jul 12, 2020 at 10:05 am
Old Jul 12, 2020, 12:42 pm

When I pushed back after receiving the above email, the rep decided that since I had a refund number from AC, that maybe he could look into it. Came back shortly afterward, now claiming that they need 60 business days (12 weeks plus holidays) to process a refund, so to answer the original question, yes, it would appear that three months is the standard refund time for Air Canada. They can throw whatever promotion they want out there, I won't be booking anything with them for a very long time.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Came back shortly afterward, now claiming that they need 60 business days (12 weeks plus holidays) to process a refund, so to answer the original question, yes, it would appear that three months is the standard refund time for Air Canada.
No, it's not standard. Most bookings are cancelled easily and it only takes a couple of days. There are clearly problems in getting refunds on some bookings that require manual processing, and it's ridiculous how long it's taking them to give you your money back, but it's not standard.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 6:07 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
My wife had travel booked YYT-ABZ this month, booked via RBC Avion points. She received several emails from AC advising of change of flight times and routing - but strangely nothing on the fact that the LHR-ABZ flight was operated by an airline (FlyBe) that had ceased trading - culminating in the cancellation of her return flight. (originally booked as LHR-YYT). After several tortuous phone calls with Avion where they cited that they could cancel the flight by AC would still charge $300 cancellation, yesterday she was offered cancellation, refund of moneys, less the cancellation fee & points and that the cancellation fee would be refund in 8 weeks or so as AC had cancelled the flights. So I assume that's a similar situation to AC direct booked flights now being refunded but taking 8 weeks or so.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 2:36 pm

It's been 12 weeks and I'm still waiting for my refund. The status is still "OPEN" on the website. I emailed Air Canada and they told me refunds are taking 66 business days...
Old Aug 5, 2020, 12:34 pm

I have been waiting 17 weeks for my Refund. I called and cancelled on March 31, 2020, There were two tickets on my booking, I did receive one refund 8 weeks later, but now I have been waiting 17 weeks. When I call to speak to a Representative they say I am in the process for a manual refund. I am just wondering how much longer I will need to wait ?
Old Aug 6, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
No refund for you!

Had a ticked booked in February on AC NYC-YUL-NYC for travel in May. Flights were canceled by AC and they will only refund me the taxes/fees or give me a voucher. I don't want a voucher as I don't know if I will go to Canada before the voucher expires.

I've tried to invoke the US DOT regulation on refunds and they still refuse and "consider the matter closed" and claim they are in compliance. I'm past the chargeback window for my credit card. Any ideas/suggestions to get my $300 back from AC?
Old Aug 6, 2020, 1:19 pm

Have you tried to charge it back and the bank refused or you just haven't been able to initiate a charge back online? I was recently able to charge back an air ticket on an Ecuadorean flight, although I had to contact Chase and have them do it manually as it was no longer possible to do it online.
I have been waiting for my refund of fees and taxes from AC on an award ticket since May 4, so I may have to test this process with Chase again.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
I have been waiting for my refund of fees and taxes from AC on an award ticket since May 4, so I may have to test this process with Chase again.
If you have a refund case nummber or an email promising a refund, and it was all one transaction, these are easy chargebacks.
I didnt wait more than 3 weeks in these cases.

I have one Aeroplan ticket on 5/28 that had multiple changes, adcols, a PNR split, and two different cards charged - I am at AC's mercy with that one. I expect my refund to be processed no earlier than Novermber.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
If you have a refund case nummber or an email promising a refund, and it was all one transaction, these are easy chargebacks.
I didnt wait more than 3 weeks in these cases.
I respectfully disagree that there is anything "easy", as I am in this situation and have been waiting since April. Since the original charge was more than a year ago, I cannot do a credit card charge back

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.