Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread originally contained any and all information relating to flying with AC in the times of COVID. As travel has picked up, much of the discussion has been moved to dedicated threads to make topics easier to follow. Threads that may be of particular interest to those travelling during COVID:

Meal threads:
Schedule changes/refunds - temporary COVID-related policies:
The above threads are in the process of winding down as AC moves away from temporary COVID-related policies. Most questions on schedule changes/refunds should be directed to the thread on AC's new permanent schedule change policies

Other AC-related threads:

Pre-travel e-mails:

Information on immigration rules and procedures, and other government requirements, from the Canada forum:
Airport-related threads containing information that may be relevant to AC passengers, but that are not specific to AC (there are many others in the Canada forum; these are a few that have come up frequently):
(Other threads with immigration/government-related questions not specific to AC can be found on the Canada forum, and experiences and questions on those topics should be posted there)
Print Wikipost

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2021, 3:05 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by mimo123

This page has been updated. Looks like spirits and main dish choice coming back?
Is this an omission or do TATL flights no longer have the 2nd meal (breakfast for the red-eyes to Europe; pre-arrival snack for daytime flights to Canada)?

EDIT: The flight-specific menus seem to suggest breakfast is still served:

https://akamai-gw.dbaas.aircanada.co...40_YYZ_FRA.pdf

Originally Posted by lcohen999
for what its worth, was told Aug 3rd was the date for the return of milk/cream
Speaking of which, if AC is not providing milk / cream right now, how do they expect people to eat the breakfast "muesli with apples, raisins, coconut and pumpkin seeds"?

Last edited by capedreamer; Jul 21, 2021 at 3:12 pm
Old Jul 21, 2021, 4:19 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Speaking of which, if AC is not providing milk / cream right now, how do they expect people to eat the breakfast "muesli with apples, raisins, coconut and pumpkin seeds"?
Good point. Maybe they expect you to use the bread weapon to make a muesli sandwich.
kraftdinner_ likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Good point. Maybe they expect you to use the bread weapon to make a muesli sandwich.
Lol

In seriousness, if memory serves and if they haven't changed the menu since my last east-bound TATL in May 2021, I believe this item is actually some kind of muesli / granola bar. Still, no milk (dairy or non-dairy) for breakfast is a real frustration for me.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 5:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
- Meal options return to all Intl. routes
- no mention of amenity kits - gone?
- ANC headsets return to NA Signature Class
- “premium” PE meals are back - distinction between “all-inclusive meal tray” for PE and “meal box” for Y
Old Jul 21, 2021, 6:26 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by yyztozag
- Meal options return to all Intl. routes
- no mention of amenity kits - gone?
- ANC headsets return to NA Signature Class
- “premium” PE meals are back - distinction between “all-inclusive meal tray” for PE and “meal box” for Y
Amenity kits are mentioned for Signature Class - International.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 1:01 am

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Just playing with the app tonight and noticed international flights departing today onwards are showing the "new" menus.

J:
New multi page menu, along with route specific language.
2 choices for mains. Suggested wine pairings for mains.
Fresh fruits are back, on top of the existing cheese and dessert.
Transpacific second meal (breakfast) have 2 choices for mains.
Expanded non-alcoholic beverages.

O:
New menu, along with route specific language, and finally O is back to a different menu/meal than Y.
2 choices for mains for first meal, different mains than J.
Drink menu not showing.

Y:
Similar to past few months but now 2 choices for mains.
Everything else seems similar to previous months.

Not back to pre-covid service yet but it's some welcoming (and probably long overdue) changes.

Domestic menus are same for now.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by etkuo
Just playing with the app tonight and noticed international flights departing today onwards are showing the "new" menus.

J:
New multi page menu, along with route specific language.
2 choices for mains. Suggested wine pairings for mains.
Fresh fruits are back, on top of the existing cheese and dessert.
Transpacific second meal (breakfast) have 2 choices for mains.
Expanded non-alcoholic beverages.

O:
New menu, along with route specific language, and finally O is back to a different menu/meal than Y.
2 choices for mains for first meal, different mains than J.
Drink menu not showing.

Y:
Similar to past few months but now 2 choices for mains.
Everything else seems similar to previous months.

Not back to pre-covid service yet but it's some welcoming (and probably long overdue) changes.

Domestic menus are same for now.
The new menus now include ‘cappuccinos’ in the drinks section. Does this mean milk is back???

https://akamai-gw.dbaas.aircanada.co...10_YYZ_LIS.pdf

Btw, where in the app were you seeing the menus? I had to go to the website.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 4:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
The new menus now include ‘cappuccinos’ in the drinks section. Does this mean milk is back???

https://akamai-gw.dbaas.aircanada.co...10_YYZ_LIS.pdf

Btw, where in the app were you seeing the menus? I had to go to the website.
Flight status - type in a random flight no. (for example AC840) and it’ll show you the menus for all classes of service.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 5:43 am

Flight status - type in a random flight no. (for example AC840) and it’ll show you the menus for all classes of service.
Ah thanks! I tried the New Booking and Existing Trips tabs and didn't find it.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 5:54 am

Ah thanks! I tried the New Booking and Existing Trips tabs and didn't find it.
No problem.

Side note - I don't know what to make of the new changes. On one hand, it's a big step in the right direction. On the other, they have no excuse for not bringing back the full pre-covid service. They're catering omelettes and pancakes on domestic and TPAC flights. Why can't they do the same for TATL like they did before? I'm sure it'll all come back at some point in the future because AC is, at the end of the day, decently service-oriented. I'm just saying that, with fantastic vaccination rates and surging demand, their argument for not offering full amenities like hot towels, more meal choices, SSL access, etc for paying pax is increasingly weak.
gcashin likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 7:40 am

No problem.

Side note - I don't know what to make of the new changes. On one hand, it's a big step in the right direction. On the other, they have no excuse for not bringing back the full pre-covid service. They're catering omelettes and pancakes on domestic and TPAC flights. Why can't they do the same for TATL like they did before? I'm sure it'll all come back at some point in the future because AC is, at the end of the day, decently service-oriented. I'm just saying that, with fantastic vaccination rates and surging demand, their argument for not offering full amenities like hot towels, more meal choices, SSL access, etc for paying pax is increasingly weak.
100% agree. At this point, there is absolutely zero health or safety reason for the service reductions. Other carriers restored their full service a long time ago. At the same time, from a business perspective, I do understand AC's desire to keep costs down. I'm sure that even with the government bailout they're in a tough spot. I just wish they were more honest about the reason behind the service reductions. Instead of:

Our commitment to your health and safety, and that of our employees, is very important to us and is reflected in everything we do. In addition to a limited beverage selection, we have also temporarily reduced our meal offering and will only be featuring one option for all meals on today’s flight.
I would prefer something like:

The pandemic has had a devastating effect on our business and in these tough times, we are striving to thread the needle between restoring our usual service standards and getting away with the bare minimum to keep your business. Let's be honest, we know that if you're traveling these days, it's because you have to, and we also know you have fewer alternatives to choose from. As our competitors gradually return to the skies and deliver a more competitive product, we will have no choice but to do the same. But in the meantime, we appreciate your loyalty, even if it is being offered begrudgingly.
airoli, Vaclav, gcashin and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 8:23 am

Programs: Super Elite 100K
First I've heard of this

Originally Posted by aircrashsurvivor
Thanks yes : Thats also printed and filled out from the CDC website. Can that be shown at the gate or do I have to line up at checkin pre customs and security: I’ve checked in on line already and have a mobile BP
Flying YUL-LAS next week and this is the first I have heard of the CDC form. Is it common practice to print it at home and fill it out? Or is there a specific form provided by each airline? AC in this case, obviously.
Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2021, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by willflyforfood
Flying YUL-LAS next week and this is the first I have heard of the CDC form. Is it common practice to print it at home and fill it out? Or is there a specific form provided by each airline? AC in this case, obviously.
Thanks!
Think it's this form https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/F...-English-p.pdf but curious if readily available at the airport or if need to print beforehand. Also in practice do rapid antigen results need to be printed out? Or showing screen sufficient?
Old Jul 22, 2021, 10:36 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Restarting flying Sunday--baby steps though--all the way from Calgary to Grande Prairie (sticking within the province for July and August)
Nitehawk likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Robyyz
Think it's this form https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/F...-English-p.pdf but curious if readily available at the airport or if need to print beforehand. Also in practice do rapid antigen results need to be printed out? Or showing screen sufficient?
It's readily available at the airport. I've been given one in YYZ and YVR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.