Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2020, 7:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Refund Questions

I had a flight booked for May 2020, it was booked in November 2019
Just got a notification that my flight booking was changed...checked my email and was offered "The full value of what you paid will become a future travel credit valid for 24 months"
Went on the site and was given the option to get a full refund, or a credit. Looked a little closer and it wasn't the full value, it excluded the seat selection fee.

Two Questions:
1. Can I actually get my money back on my credit card?
2. Shouldn't I get the cost of my advance seat selection back as well?

Ticket class = K going and S returning

Thanks
Old Mar 27, 2020, 9:16 pm

What's infuriating in this refusal to refund issue is the attitude of the airlines: they are not admitting any liability or moral or legal duty to refund.

If the airlines came clean publicly and clearly admitted that they cannot pay clients their rightful refunds because it would lead to certain collapse, even more serious national economic difficulties, and if they promised to compensate the clients when business gets better, most clients would understand and be willing to compromise.

However the airlines' attitudes and public statements is so arrogant. They treat the customers like beggars: "here's a voucher that we hope you won't be able to use or maximize, take it and bugger off or leave it and bugger off as well."

I can see why. They estimate they can get away with this behaviour. Their ultimate mission is to maximize shareholder above all else.

Last edited by hoipolloi; Mar 27, 2020 at 10:43 pm
Old Mar 27, 2020, 9:26 pm

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by OccasionallyFlying
I recently flew AC63 on March 26, after service changes were announced, in paid J class. Although, I was aware of the service changes, I was not expecting it to be this drastic.

Ground Experience:
Check in was normal, however, the check-in attendant did note that the Maple Leaf Lounge was closed. At the gate, the gate agent did make multiple announcements that there would be no hot meal service during the flight.

In-Flight Service:
At the seat, there was the standard mattress pad, a blanket and an earphone. There were no pillows, amenity kit or headphones.

The meal service began approximately 1 hour after takeoff, in which they gave a basic pre-packaged meal which consisted of a chicken salad, salmon and some bread. This meal was the same for all classes. There was no drink service.

Halfway through the flight, the cabin crew came around with a basic chicken/avocado sandwich, which is similar to what you would find in AC Bistro offerings on short domestic flights.

About 2 hours before the flight, the cabin crew came around with another meal service, this one consisting of cheese and crackers, a granola bar, fruit and yogurt. Again, no drink service.

Immediately after meal services and before landing, the cabin crew did come around to collect garbage twice, which were the only times when they did collect garbage during the entire flight. The cabin crew didn't even offer water, and you were limited to the two small J bottles next to your seat.

Although I was prepared for the drastic service changes due to COVID-19, I wish that there were a bit more to differentiate the service from Y class. For example, I wish that AC did keep the amenity kit for J class. This is not a great time to be flying AC J, or flying at all.
This looks a bit worse than my LHR-YYZ on Sunday. A very rushed service (we had only about 20 minutes before they cleared) with only one water available/ offered per passenger. And they only handed out the earbuds for the IFE.

Old Mar 27, 2020, 9:54 pm

People may have booked personal/vacation trips that are now cancelled. Imagine if they also got laid off and need cash during this difficult time but not able to a full refund. This would be a sad situation.

Some folks could have booked business travel using corporate credit cards with ticket in employee's name. With flights cancelled and AC not giving refunds and issuing credit to be used within 24 months, an employee can technically still rebook that corporate paid flight for personal use after he/she was laid off?
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mileageking
People may have booked personal/vacation trips that are now cancelled. Imagine if they also got laid off and need cash during this difficult time but not able to a full refund. This would be a sad situation.
This is my main issue. The same circumstances that make AC want to keep the money are exactly why people may really need the refunds.

Originally Posted by mileageking
Some folks could have booked business travel using corporate credit cards with ticket in employee's name. With flights cancelled and AC not giving refunds and issuing credit to be used within 24 months, an employee can technically still rebook that corporate paid flight for personal use after he/she was laid off?
I suspect there's an ethical question there. It would likely be considered a taxable benefit even if your employer was fine with it. But it's not your money. And it's not AC's money. If AC cancelled your work trip, your employer should get their money back.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 11:04 pm

Well... Here goes.. Changes again, but a keeper because #1 want to get home! #2 can't reach aeroplan to change schedule. This is a major change, on the ORD/YUL final leg of an already long route. SYD/HND/ORD/YUL
the connection time from HND ORD went from a lovely 2.5hrs to 10 hours! Also we were flying that last leg on AC, now it Will be on AA! &#1 29300;
I am aware that we're still lucky to have been switched. My major question is we need a lounge!!!
these being J award tix from aeroplan can we go into a star alliance lounge at ORD? Hoping a lounge will still be operating. Pleas help! Thank you!
data point was AC7594 now AA3011.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
This is my main issue. The same circumstances that make AC want to keep the money are exactly why people may really need the refunds.

I suspect there's an ethical question there. It would likely be considered a taxable benefit even if your employer was fine with it. But it's not your money. And it's not AC's money. If AC cancelled your work trip, your employer should get their money back.
Agree on ethics point. Not saying it's happening or will happen, however some folks could abuse the system and take advantage loop holes. Something they should consider. AC wouldn't know (or care) if employee was laid off due to COVID-19.

Fortunately I'm not in that bucket of layoffs, however some of our businesses have had serious negative financial impacts in few countries which has unfortunately resulted in some layoffs.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by voyageuse
Well... Here goes.. Changes again, but a keeper because #1 want to get home! #2 can't reach aeroplan to change schedule. This is a major change, on the ORD/YUL final leg of an already long route. SYD/HND/ORD/YUL
the connection time from HND ORD went from a lovely 2.5hrs to 10 hours! Also we were flying that last leg on AC, now it Will be on AA! &#1 29300;
I am aware that we're still lucky to have been switched. My major question is we need a lounge!!!
these being J award tix from aeroplan can we go into a star alliance lounge at ORD? Hoping a lounge will still be operating. Pleas help! Thank you!
I don't think you'll have access to AC / Star Alliance lounges in ORD since you are departing on AA (I don't believe it matters you have an AE ticket or if your HND-ORD was on *A). I suggest you try AA Admirals lounge which I believe is in T3, Concourse L and has showers
Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:00 am

Programs: AC 75k
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
What's infuriating in this refusal to refund issue is the attitude of the airlines: they are not admitting any liability or moral or legal duty to refund.

If the airlines came clean publicly and clearly admitted that they cannot pay clients their rightful refunds because it would lead to certain collapse, even more serious national economic difficulties, and if they promised to compensate the clients when business gets better, most clients would understand and be willing to compromise.

However the airlines' attitudes and public statements is so arrogant. They treat the customers like beggars: "here's a voucher that we hope you won't be able to use or maximize, take it and bugger off or leave it and bugger off as well."

I can see why. They estimate they can get away with this behaviour. Their ultimate mission is to maximize shareholder above all else.
OR even save the initial payment simply as a true AC credit that you could use for whatever travel you wanted in the next two years. Instead they play the Heads I win; Tails you lose card.
I understand realities, but in what other enterprise would we accept this? If you paid a website to purchase something, but due to Corona they can't provide it, and you were informed, "We cant supply the thing you ordered, but we will keep your money for up to 24 months and you can buy another SINGLE thing on our website with that credit. If it's more expensive, you have to pay the difference, if it's cheaper, we will keep the difference; if there is nothing that meets your needs, we will keep all of it.", would the consumer or public opinion stand for it especially if it was supposed to be a reputable company?

Full disclosure: I have no vested interest in these conditions. I have cancelled multiple "non-refundable" tickets in the past 2 1/2 weeks purely for credit. I knew the conditions attached to the bookings I made, and took the scraps offered. These "if only" conditions would not apply to me.
I don't have a problem with the Federal Government (should they choose to) protecting our national airlines, I do have a problem if they choose to use taxpayer funds to support that corporate behaviour so there should be some hard conditions. But I am equally certain there won't be.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Change date because of flight time changes - aeroplan

Is it possible to change the travel date from April 2 to March 31 with aeroplan if my initial flight was rescheduled to leave an hour early. I know that often free date changes to flights without award availability can be made if let’s say connection is too short etc and that aeroplan will actually buy a seat from partners, but what about this scenario? Reason we are hopeful is that one of us is in J for March 31 and second person whose flight time got changed is in J April 2 but would like to travel together. There is no availability on March 31 but wondering if aeroplan would do it if we called and asked?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by FlY2XS
OR even save the initial payment simply as a true AC credit that you could use for whatever travel you wanted in the next two years. Instead they play the Heads I win; Tails you lose card.
I understand realities, but in what other enterprise would we accept this? If you paid a website to purchase something, but due to Corona they can't provide it, and you were informed, "We cant supply the thing you ordered, but we will keep your money for up to 24 months and you can buy another SINGLE thing on our website with that credit. If it's more expensive, you have to pay the difference, if it's cheaper, we will keep the difference; if there is nothing that meets your needs, we will keep all of it.", would the consumer or public opinion stand for it especially if it was supposed to be a reputable company?

Full disclosure: I have no vested interest in these conditions. I have cancelled multiple "non-refundable" tickets in the past 2 1/2 weeks purely for credit. I knew the conditions attached to the bookings I made, and took the scraps offered. These "if only" conditions would not apply to me.
I don't have a problem with the Federal Government (should they choose to) protecting our national airlines, I do have a problem if they choose to use taxpayer funds to support that corporate behaviour so there should be some hard conditions. But I am equally certain there won't be.
Exactly. What I'm really angry/disappoint about the credit approach are the single usage and non-transferable parts. When I called AC about the conditions on the credit, one of the reps simply laughed about "you just lose money" if I couldn't use all of my credit in one booking. Sounds like the cancellation is purely our fault and AC doesn't want to take any responsibility whatsoever.

Also I just learned that, the credit applies to the fare and tax separately, so let's say my original booking was $500 fare plus $500 tax, which would be $1000 credit, but if the new ticket costs me $600 in fare but $300 in tax (for example when the destination is in a different country), I would still have to pay the $100 fare difference but lose the tax part.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 1:47 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *G/AC 35K *S/Marriott Bonvoy Platinum/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Amenity Kits in J & PY are on request where available due to supply chain problems. Country of production : China.
Employees have been asked to refrain from accepting kits until further notice.

1st meal is different in PY/Y (Chicken Wrap, Salad, Kit Kat Bar, Almonds)
2nd meal is identical J/PY/Y (as pictured)
Thank you for clarifying. I thought they weren't giving amenity kits due to COVID-19 hygiene issues, which really didn't make sense. I'll be sure to ask for an amenity kit on my return flight.

Originally Posted by JTXC
This looks a bit worse than my LHR-YYZ on Sunday. A very rushed service (we had only about 20 minutes before they cleared) with only one water available/ offered per passenger. And they only handed out the earbuds for the IFE.
The service on my flight was timed normally but felt a bit rushed. The cabin crew probably wanted to limit interactions with passengers. They blocked off the front section near the cockpit on my 787 and directed passengers to use the shared J/PY washroom behind the J cabin. There was a tray with water in the J/PY galley for anyone to take.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 6:45 am
Suspended

Air Canada just screwed me

I had a flight to the UK and Ireland next month which I cancelled last week with AC. I was told I would have a credit valid for the value of my ticket until Dec 2020.

I saw yesterday Air Canada had changed their policy and credits would be valid until March 2021.

I called to ask if my credit would be extended until then and I was told no. I then asked how much my credit was in their file and I was told 148$. WHAT THE HECK. The agent said my credit was only for the base fare of my ticket. I was never told this during my last call.

I asked if I could speak to a supervisor and the agent laughed and said sir this isn't Bell, you cannot talk to a supervisor on the phone. He then directed me to their website to complete a form to be sent to their customer service.

What a nightmare!
Old Mar 28, 2020, 7:10 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by mcbg1
I had a flight to the UK and Ireland next month which I cancelled last week with AC. I was told I would have a credit valid for the value of my ticket until Dec 2020.

I saw yesterday Air Canada had changed their policy and credits would be valid until March 2021.

I called to ask if my credit would be extended until then and I was told no. I then asked how much my credit was in their file and I was told 148$. WHAT THE HECK. The agent said my credit was only for the base fare of my ticket. I was never told this during my last call.

I asked if I could speak to a supervisor and the agent laughed and said sir this isn't Bell, you cannot talk to a supervisor on the phone. He then directed me to their website to complete a form to be sent to their customer service.

What a nightmare!

Relax,

These are uncertain times, policies are changing all the time, very fluid situation. I received full refunds from AP, AC, VIA , Hilton etc so you just need to speak with the right person. No one is trying to screw anyone and the sky is not falling. Most here should be professionals with some kind of leadership role, so we should be steadfast. level headed and calm. Call back or fill the online amount as for whatever you paid is what you will receive back through a credit or full refund.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:04 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by voyageuse
why not try to get a room at the Hilton for 7-8 hours?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.