Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2020, 1:38 pm

Ok, I found the rules for the AC purchased tickets for Monday. Just to be certain I understand correctly this rule applies even if I am the one to cancel? Prior to the flight of course. This fee is total per adult, not per each segment correct?
below are the rules found on bottom of tickets.
Cancellations:Tickets are refundable against $343 fee per adult. Child/Infant discount may apply. Tickets are non-transferrable. Partially used tickets may be submitted for a refund assessment. The refund will be calculated as follows: Actual fare paid minus the value of the portion of the
journey that has been flown and minus the applicable fee. Cancellations can be made up to 45 minutes prior to departure. View Air Canada’s refund policy
Old Mar 27, 2020, 3:06 pm

Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Platinum)
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
No, they won't be refunded. The COVID-19 rules say that until March 31, you can cancel with no penalty and get a travel credit good until March 31.
First, Adam, may I think you for the many helpful posts you made made on this and related issues. Very useful.

For clarification, when you say "until March 31" are you saying that the cancellation must be done by Mar 31? The AC site seems to require that the flight booking was made before March 31, 2020, and AFAICS does not have specify a date by which the cancellation must be done. But these things have been changing so much that I may well have missed something ...

Also, do you know what happens to a 15% code used in such a to-be-cancelled booking? I would give good odds on it just going away, but one can always hope.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:15 pm
Suspended

I had a flight to the UK and Ireland next month which I cancelled last week with AC. I was told I would have a credit valid for the value of my ticket until Dec 2020.

I saw yesterday Air Canada had changed their policy and credits would be valid until March 2021.

I called to ask if my credit would be extended until then and I was told no. I then asked how much my credit was in their file and I was told 148$. WHAT THE HECK. The agent said my credit was only for the base fare of my ticket. I was never told this during my last call.

I asked if I could speak to a supervisor and the agent laughed and said sir this isn't Bell, you cannot talk to a supervisor on the phone. He then directed me to their website to complete a form to be sent to their customer service.

What a nightmare!
Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
More impacts:

SFO has no concierges. They've either been laid off or become regular agents.
Over 70% of SFO staff were laid off.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:23 pm

Programs: AC 50K, NZ Gold
Thumbs up My recent refunds with EVA and AC

I was on the cheapest J with EVA (YVR/TPE/KIX/return) departure April 14. I cancelled on March 7th, expecting $ 395 deduction. My flight is not formally cancelled until today although not showing as available for booking any more. I was surprised to see yesterday 100% refund on my Amex. I am really impressed with EVA.
Second one was more challenging. YVR/BNE/return on April 6 in AC economy (hoping for an upgrade). AC formally cancelled the flight on March 20th but refused the refund (offered rebooking or 24 months credit only). I called Visa Privilege with chargeback request. They refunded in full within 48 hours. And now I am really impressed with Visa Privilege.
Marriott cancellations smooth like a silk right on the website.
I can focus now on licking my wounds. Dealing with business emergencies will keep me grounded for many months to come. Staying 100% positive of course!
Best to EVERYBODY on the forum!
Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by mathemagic
Don't forget the interest-free part of that...
considering interest is 0.25% now from the BoC... it's negligible lol
Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by gilboman
considering interest is 0.25% now from the BoC... it's negligible lol
Even if it were lent to AC at that rate, 0.25% for one year on $1B is still $2.5M of what would have at least been someone else's $.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mathemagic
Even if it were lent to AC at that rate, 0.25% for one year on $1B is still $2.5M of what would have at least been someone else's $.
Plus, anyone would be nuts to offer them that rate...
Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
An update on our friend's April Business (lowest P,/Z nonrefundable) flight to TLV was formally cancelled today. AC issued a full refund to credit card via a quick phone call.
​​​​​​
Though without more data points it could have been due to business fare, SEMM status, or agent discretion.

​​​
Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:48 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *G/AC 35K *S/Marriott Bonvoy Platinum/Hilton Gold
Service Offerings in AC63(YVR-ICN) in J

I recently flew AC63 on March 26, after service changes were announced, in paid J class. Although, I was aware of the service changes, I was not expecting it to be this drastic.

Ground Experience:
Check in was normal, however, the check-in attendant did note that the Maple Leaf Lounge was closed. At the gate, the gate agent did make multiple announcements that there would be no hot meal service during the flight.

In-Flight Service:
At the seat, there was the standard mattress pad, a blanket and an earphone. There were no pillows, amenity kit or headphones.

The meal service began approximately 1 hour after takeoff, in which they gave a basic pre-packaged meal which consisted of a chicken salad, salmon and some bread. This meal was the same for all classes. There was no drink service.

Halfway through the flight, the cabin crew came around with a basic chicken/avocado sandwich, which is similar to what you would find in AC Bistro offerings on short domestic flights.

About 2 hours before the flight, the cabin crew came around with another meal service, this one consisting of cheese and crackers, a granola bar, fruit and yogurt. Again, no drink service.

Immediately after meal services and before landing, the cabin crew did come around to collect garbage twice, which were the only times when they did collect garbage during the entire flight. The cabin crew didn't even offer water, and you were limited to the two small J bottles next to your seat.

Although I was prepared for the drastic service changes due to COVID-19, I wish that there were a bit more to differentiate the service from Y class. For example, I wish that AC did keep the amenity kit for J class. This is not a great time to be flying AC J, or flying at all.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by expert7700
An update on our friend's April Business (lowest P,/Z nonrefundable) flight to TLV was formally cancelled today. AC issued a full refund to credit card via a quick phone call.
​​​​​​
Though without more data points it could have been due to business fare, SEMM status, or agent discretion.

​​​

OTOH I just got an itinerary change on a flight to Europe in the first half of May. One has to wonder, why do they bother at this point?
Old Mar 27, 2020, 6:22 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by Stranger
OTOH I just got an itinerary change on a flight to Europe in the first half of May. One has to wonder, why do they bother at this point?
Ha, me too... well, sort of.

Got a notification in my AC app that my reservation had changed (but not clear from the app what). Logging into AC.com, my reservation disappeared altogether. Once I searched by record locator, I can see my YOW-YYZ-MUC-AMS flight on May 2 had been cancelled.

Called AC to get rebooked to YOW-YYZ-FRA-AMS. Let's see how long this holds.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Ha, me too... well, sort of.

Got a notification in my AC app that my reservation had changed (but not clear from the app what). Logging into AC.com, my reservation disappeared altogether. Once I searched by record locator, I can see my YOW-YYZ-MUC-AMS flight on May 2 had been cancelled.

Called AC to get rebooked to YOW-YYZ-FRA-AMS. Let's see how long this holds.
While we are watching the situation, at this point our best guess is that we will want to delay or cancel that trip. I doubt that the situation in Europe will be good enough for us to go, and anyway, odds that by then these flights will all get cancelled. So no rush to get them to make changes to that booking.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 6:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Amenity Kits in J & PY are on request where available due to supply chain problems. Country of production : China.
Employees have been asked to refrain from accepting kits until further notice.

1st meal is different in PY/Y (Chicken Wrap, Salad, Kit Kat Bar, Almonds)
2nd meal is identical J/PY/Y (as pictured)
Old Mar 27, 2020, 6:39 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by Stranger
While we are watching the situation, at this point our best guess is that we will want to delay or cancel that trip. I doubt that the situation in Europe will be good enough for us to go, and anyway, odds that by then these flights will all get cancelled. So no rush to get them to make changes to that booking.
Fair enough but I actually live in Europe now and this flight has been rescheduled and rebooked multiple times (originally YOW-YYZ-AMS on Mar 22).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.