Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2020, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by sram
What would happen if I used my 4 x $500 COVID credits plus my $1000 ecoupon (that expires in July ) and booked a could of latitude fares in May and they were either cancelled by AC or I cancelled them?
Ask them to give you a gift card instead?
Old Mar 30, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Ask them to give you a gift card instead?
Everything communicated to me by AC suggests they will not offer gift cards in leu of a credit. If they combined my refunds into a single gift card I can use, I'd be fine with that.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 3:23 pm

I don't know if I'd want a GC from AC. Preferred option would be cash but my 2nd choice would be allow to rebook same O/D without additional fare collection. All my bookings were made by credit card where I have various insurances when I travel - if I get a GC and use that to rebook I'd lose all the CC insurances as now GC would be the form of payment.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 3:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Changing an Aeroplan booking in the time of coronavirus

I'm wondering if anyone has any data points about changing an Aeroplan booking at this time?

Here's my situation:
I booked a mini-RTW in July last year (just before AC devalued the program by removing the two stopovers). My first flight is T-2 weeks but I obviously will not be flying at this time.
I have two options:
1. Cancel (for a full refund of points and fees). This is the easiest option, but will mean that I won't be able to fly the itinerary I planned (ever) because of AC's changes to Aeroplan.
2. Change my bookings.

For #2 , my understanding is that so long as you're making a change, you can keep the two-stopover itinerary.

The question I have is.. how long out (to fly) would I have to make such a change?

My understanding is.. under normal rules, all flights must be completed within 1 year of the ticketing date (ie. July 31). BUT, AC is also offering changes out until end of December (unless they've changed that since). I'm not sure if this would override the first rule?

Any thoughts? I'd hate to spend the time trying to do this for it all to be for naught, but at the same time.. I would really like to keep my two-stopover mini-RTW if at all possible.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 4:15 pm

FWIW, Aeroplan is now allowing free cancellations of any award flights until April 30, extended from the previous March 31.

https://www.aeroplan.com/covid-19.do#/
Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by YEG USER
I don't know if I'd want a GC from AC. Preferred option would be cash but my 2nd choice would be allow to rebook same O/D without additional fare collection. All my bookings were made by credit card where I have various insurances when I travel - if I get a GC and use that to rebook I'd lose all the CC insurances as now GC would be the form of payment.
are you assuming your cc insurance will cover you for a trip rebooked using an airline travel voucher?

Last edited by hoipolloi; Mar 30, 2020 at 7:54 pm
Old Mar 30, 2020, 8:36 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Originally Posted by Backward
New topic here:

In May, I plan to fly from YYZ-SIN (via TPE) on a reward ticket.

If Taiwan renews its no foreigners and no transit policy (in effect now till 7 Apr), is either BR or Aeroplan obliged to rebook me to get to SIN at no charge?

If anyone has experienced something similar to this, please let me know. Thanks.
AP has been useless at helping me with my cancelled flight. It was basically find a new flight with AP availability and we will rebook you on that flight, but the made sure to tell me that I will need to pay the difference in taxes. Otherwise we can cancel the ticket for a full refund. Looked over a 6 month period and I can’t find any availability. They refuse to force AC to open up seats, so I doubt AP will be willing to open up seats on another airline that doesn’t own them.

Please let us know if you have any better luck.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 8:56 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by TheImp
My understanding is.. under normal rules, all flights must be completed within 1 year of the ticketing date (ie. July 31).
First flight must start within 1 year of ticket issue. You then have up to 1 year from the first flight to complete travel.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
are you assuming your cc insurance will cover you for a trip rebooked using an airline travel voucher?
My understanding is that all that’s happening is that they’re giving credits for the value of your fare, and waiving change fees. That’s no different than how they handle voluntary changes currently (except for the fee waiver). The credit is also valid for a longer duration.

IIRC in the past, when I’ve had booking reference ABCDEF, and I’ve had to cancel, when I went to rebook I’d have a new flight with the same ABCDEF reference (original ticketing date, etc. would also be maintained). From what I can tell, the reason AC isn’t combining tickets into a travel bank is because the system isn’t set up to operate that way. If I rebook my current flight in 18 months, and have the same booking reference, and the receipts showing original booking and possible fare difference charged to the card, I don’t see any reason why CC insurance wouldn’t apply for things like baggage delay, etc.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 12:44 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Originally Posted by Backward
New topic here:

In May, I plan to fly from YYZ-SIN (via TPE) on a reward ticket.

If Taiwan renews its no foreigners and no transit policy (in effect now till 7 Apr), is either BR or Aeroplan obliged to rebook me to get to SIN at no charge?

If anyone has experienced something similar to this, please let me know. Thanks.
​​​​​​Plan to fly? You don't sound like you've booked already? Unless you have super elite or wherever to jump the hold queue or be prepared to be on hold hours to reach aeroplan (I've experienced sometimes it wasn't even possible in Feb, the automated voice says to call back later), don't bother booking awards with Aeroplan.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 7:21 am

$300 cancellation fee

We were booked to fly YYZ to VIE return on AC April 25th which was cancelled by AC. I went in today to check and I can either get a partial refund on my credit card for what we paid less a $300 "cancellation fee" or take a "credit" for the full balance good for 24 months from date of cancellation. I'm tempted to take the partial refund despite the $300 fee since I have no idea when the travel advisory will be lifted or price and availability of flights within 24 months,

Has anyone had success getting AC to eat the $300 or claim on credit card insurance. It doesn't feel right that I should be paying a cancellation fee of $300 since AC cancelled the flight .... or take a chance that this will all be sorted in less than 24 months and normal travel resuming.

Any thoughts, suggestions much appreciated,
Old Mar 31, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
I understand there is no common law right to invoke force majeure in such things a insurance and contracts. But am I the only one around here felling like the next shoe to drop is credit card insurance coverage?

Last edited by sram; Mar 31, 2020 at 11:29 am
Old Mar 31, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by Sailor-man
Has anyone had success getting AC to eat the $300 or claim on credit card insurance. It doesn't feel right that I should be paying a cancellation fee of $300 since AC cancelled the flight .... or take a chance that this will all be sorted in less than 24 months and normal travel resuming.
Filed a claim online last week on AMEX and still no case number. i.e. no one looked at it yet.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by beep88
Filed a claim online last week on AMEX and still no case number. i.e. no one looked at it yet.
That cant be right. I filed with AMEX on Friday, and credit was issued on Saturday pending resolution with a case number assigned.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by beep88
I filed a few claims with RSA through AMEX Platinum over the last couple of weeks. Apart from an auto acknowledgement at the time of submission no case number and cannot see online at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.