What Routes do you wish AC flew?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by monkai
YYJ - SEA
Or really anywhere on AC mainline.

YYJ-YVR on AC Express as well as YYJ-YYZ/YUL on a 319/321 operated by AC Rouge is acceptable IMO, but a few more options would be nice...
monkai likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Fair enough. I'd be more than happy if I were wrong.

But IMO those are two very different routes / markets:

1) The ecoomic feasibility of a 5300-6000 miles flight is very different from an ULH flight of ~8000 miles

2) There are only a handful of flights between Asia and South Africa (and if you exclude mainland Chinese airlines, options are really rather limited), so capacity growth isn't overly surprising. Compare that to North America - South Africa which literally has many dozen routing options on more than a dozen airlines.

3) This isnt about whether there is sufficient demand (there certainly is), but whether there are sufficient pax willing to pay a premium for a non-stop flight / whether there's a business case for AC to fly to JNB/CPT non-stop vs. just feeding pax to SA via its TATL JV partners

But I'd be very happy if AC found a way to make that route work.

They can do a refuelling stop in Barbados and save money on not having to burn fuel to fly fuel
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by YVR72
I got my original wish of YVR-MEL. But, my next with would be YVR-SCL
I could see a strategically timed cross connect at GRU from YYZ & YVR with one aircraft continuing on to EZE. I know they've tinkered the possibility of EZE being served out of GRU instead of SCL. Believe CP did that at one time.
YVR72 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I'd like to see AC fly to South Africa. There's something about South Africa to me that's so interesting, going there early next year, but even just the flights are interesting. Like SAA flies a few flights from the US, UA is doing this short term CPT flight. Is there any reason AC couldn't fly YYZ-JNB? AC over the last few years have really made a push to lure US based passengers to connect in Toronto, often with ridiculous fares, why not this one? Connect in Toronto instead of London/Zurich/Paris/Doha/Dubai? All new AC routes intrigue me in at least some way or another. I'd also love to see them keep YVR-ZRH and YVR-CDG as year round flights.

Lastly, and my god, I've been pining for this one forever. PLEASEEEEE either Copa or AC, YVR-PTY come on. Pretty much anyone wanting to go to Central or South America from YVR has to go through Houston, not an issue for ME, but it is an issue for people on a variety of passports. Not only that, but I think it'd be good competition for AM who has positioned themselves nicely at YVR over the last year or two. It pushes the range listed on wikipedia pretty well, but this is exactly the kind of route I'd like to see opened up by the MAX aircrafts. Don't need another YVR-YYZ flight, I'd love to see someone fly YVR-YHZ, but it doesn't really apply to me much either. PTY is a great destination, its an even better airport to connect at requiring no tedious customs line like MEX does. I can fly 1 stop YVR-MDE currently with AM, and it's a decent enough flight/product especially because it's often cheap. But I'd much rather stick with STAR and connect in Panama.
lsquare and monkai like this.

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 17, 2019 at 8:22 am Reason: Off topic posting
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I'd like to see AC fly to South Africa. There's something about South Africa to me that's so interesting, going there early next year, but even just the flights are interesting. Like SAA flies a few flights from the US, UA is doing this short term CPT flight. Is there any reason AC couldn't fly YYZ-JNB? AC over the last few years have really made a push to lure US based passengers to connect in Toronto, often with ridiculous fares, why not this one? Connect in Toronto instead of London/Zurich/Paris/Doha/Dubai? All new AC routes intrigue me in at least some way or another.
Me too. And they can try seasonal daily or 3 times a week to start.

If fuel is a problem they can do a refuel stop over West Africa or Barbados or a new destination like port of Spain
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
YYZ-ZAG for sure. Rouge is going pretty good but product is mediocre. B789 would be ideal because of similar Y and O capacity, with the benefit of J to attract business travelers/high income earners. If the Transat acquisition happens, that’ll be 6-7 weekly AC managed flights in the summer. They could match that, hell, even reduce to 5-6 times weekly to manage capacity in the summer. In the winter they could start off with 3-4 times weekly and see how it goes.

Only question is filling J. There are a lot of well-off Croatians in YYZ though (as well as the reverse, being well-off Canadians in ZAG) who would be willing to pay low P/Z prices, and businesses to use flight passes or pay last-minute full J. Still would not be more than 75% full. Well, at least there’s more E-upgrade space 😄
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I'd echo many of the routes ex-YVR described above...but the thread specifies that we list the routes we wished AC operated
Yes, it does so a number of posts have either been edited or deleted altogether as off topic so please confine the route wishlisting to AC.

tcook052
Ac forum mod.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I'd like to see AC fly to South Africa. There's something about South Africa to me that's so interesting, going there early next year, but even just the flights are interesting. Like SAA flies a few flights from the US, UA is doing this short term CPT flight. Is there any reason AC couldn't fly YYZ-JNB? AC over the last few years have really made a push to lure US based passengers to connect in Toronto, often with ridiculous fares, why not this one? Connect in Toronto instead of London/Zurich/Paris/Doha/Dubai? All new AC routes intrigue me in at least some way or another. I'd also love to see them keep YVR-ZRH and YVR-CDG as year round flights.
The one time I flew ZRH-YVR I was the only SE on the plane. That tells me it is a very leisure oriented crowd; not likely that this will be year round any time soon. But it is a nice route to have.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:01 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
LCY to YTZ YYZ
Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by briantoronto
LCY to YTZ YYZ
A bit tight for the A223. Range is 3679, distance is 3576. Not doable.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ridefar
The one time I flew ZRH-YVR I was the only SE on the plane. That tells me it is a very leisure oriented crowd; not likely that this will be year round any time soon. But it is a nice route to have.
I’m usually 1 of 2 or 3 and it’s my favourite way home from EU, but it means a very early flight from wherever I am in EU.
monkai likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:35 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by Stranger
A bit tight for the A223. Range is 3679, distance is 3576. Not doable.
They upped it to 3855 for the 223 and 3912 for the 222, but yea. Another route relegated to YUL then

And I know this is the only reason I will never get my YYZ-RTM route
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope

I’m usually 1 of 2 or 3 and it’s my favourite way home from EU, but it means a very early flight from wherever I am in EU.
Why is this your favourite way home from the EU?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
Sorry, I just want to make sure I understand you properly. Are you saying that no flights to or from LGA can be more than 1,500 miles?

I think I saw the slide on the A220 and it looked like YVR-LGA is being considered. Again, that would be awesome with the new LGA coming online and AirTrain connections. IMO, it'll beat JFK, but I would still take JFK over EWR.
Yes, that is what I am saying! There is a rule that prohibits flights to/from LGA longer than 1500 miles. The only exceptions are flights to/from DEN and I think flights on Saturdays (not sure about this one!). In addition to this, LGA is no point of entry so They'd have to fly out of YVR with pre-clearance meaning an earlier departure than the CX evening flight.

But yes, I agree and YVR-LGA would be sweet. And I also agree that JFK would be better than EWR but with UA only operating out of EWR it is unlikely AC will opt for JFK any time soon.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
LH operated YYZ-DUS up until ~four years ago. And I think AC operated a (direct?) YYZ-DUS flight maybe ~20 years ago?

I'm sure there'd be sufficient demand to fill a once-daily 788 (or similar) DUS-YYZ/YYC, but at the same time I doubt it would increase revenues much given that pax can choose between up to six flights a day ex-FRA (plus flights from various other European hubs).
I see your point re increased revenue and agree. It would likely not generate significant revenue but it would be convenient. FRA is a decent option but it would be nice to have a bit more flexibility.

Originally Posted by lsquare
Doesn't AC fly YVR-LHR year round?
Originally Posted by Smiley90
That's why the OP said "other than LHR". E.g. he wants flights that go YVR-Europe to be year-round in addition to YVR-LHR.
Thank you, Smiley. This is exactly what I meant. It is nice to have LHR year round but I would like to see more year round European destinations. Also YVR-LHR goes down to daily 1 flight in the winter which is less than ideal.

FWIW I completely agree, for purely selfish reasons: I mostly fly YVR-ZRH in the winter and the only non-stops are all seasonal summer-only (both Edelweiss and AC), and it pains me...

Because either I

-Fly through YYZ/YUL, risking getting snowed in
-Fly through LHR which I refuse to do because it's the worst
-Fly through LAX/SFO, which adds a ton of flight/travel time
-Fly through FRA/MUC, which is hardly ever economical
I can only second that though my route is not ZRH-YVR. I am pretty flexible re departure cities and already YVR-FRA year round would be great. The LH flight is ok, but these days I prefer AC over LH.

My baggage misses the connection about 1/3-1/2 of the time I connect there. I gave up on it after they lost it altogether one time. Purely my personal experience, but I try to avoid flying through it at all costs.
(I currently do the YVR-SFO/LAX-ZRH routing because while it takes longer, it has the least risk of something going wrong.)
I fully agree re LHR baggage issues. Though I have to say I also had decent success with lost luggage connecting in YYZ and YUL on my way to Europe. The return is usually fine. Thanks to Amex I get to buy new cloth regularly though which is not too bad as long as you still eventually get your luggage.

The last 2 years I connected in YUL and YYZ in the winter and never had any significant weather related delays (I do about 1-2 rts per month). BUt maybe I was just lucky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.