Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Routes do you wish AC flew?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by krayZpaving
YVR-LGA with an early afternoon departure (to balance EWR in the morning)
Unlikely to ever happen because of LGA perimeter rule that prohibits nonstop flights to points beyond 1,500 miles. JFK could be an alternative.
tcook052 and krayZpaving like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by totti
YUL/YYZ - DUS mainline service
LH operated YYZ-DUS up until ~four years ago. And I think AC operated a (direct?) YYZ-DUS flight maybe ~20 years ago?

I'm sure there'd be sufficient demand to fill a once-daily 788 (or similar) DUS-YYZ/YYC, but at the same time I doubt it would increase revenues much given that pax can choose between up to six flights a day ex-FRA (plus flights from various other European hubs).
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Unlikely to ever happen because of LGA perimeter rule that prohibits nonstop flights to points beyond 1,500 miles. JFK could be an alternative.
Sorry, I just want to make sure I understand you properly. Are you saying that no flights to or from LGA can be more than 1,500 miles?

I think I saw the slide on the A220 and it looked like YVR-LGA is being considered. Again, that would be awesome with the new LGA coming online and AirTrain connections. IMO, it'll beat JFK, but I would still take JFK over EWR.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

year-round YVR - Europe (other than LHR)
YUL/YYZ - TXL mainline service
YUL/YYZ - DUS mainline service
Doesn't AC fly YVR-LHR year round?

Obviously my understanding of this stuff isn't at the same level as you, but how come a lot of trans-atlantic flights back to North America departs so early? Using AC as an example, I think they latest departure time out of LHR is between 17:00 and 18:00? But departure time for HKG will be moved to 20:20 in the fall, which gives people more time in the city.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by lsquare
Doesn't AC fly YVR-LHR year round?
That's why the OP said "other than LHR". E.g. he wants flights that go YVR-Europe to be year-round in addition to YVR-LHR.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smiley90
That's why the OP said "other than LHR". E.g. he wants flights that go YVR-Europe to be year-round in addition to YVR-LHR.
Sorry, I missed that part about other than LHR.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
.......but how come a lot of trans-atlantic flights back to North America departs so early? Using AC as an example, I think they latest departure time out of LHR is between 17:00 and 18:00? But departure time for HKG will be moved to 20:20 in the fall, which gives people more time in the city.
You've mentioned the flights times for AC to/from HKG in another thread and how the time wasn't convenient for you.

Maybe there is a thread somewhere on the giant FT forum that might explain how airlines schedule flight times, or maybe those on this forum who work at ATC or work for the airline or work at the airport, can explain it.

I am sure it is not for the convenience of those who want more time in any city. Among the many reasons TPACs, TATLs and such are scheduled the way they are are due to connecting pax, negotiated slot times and so much more.

There is a really interesting video at Wendover called "How Airlines Decide Where to Fly".

Finally, using the example of other Asian carriers whose flights depart after 1:00 am, many people prefer those flights as they get to sleep on the flight and upon arrival in Asia, go to work.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, I missed that part about other than LHR.
No worries, it's Friday.

FWIW I completely agree, for purely selfish reasons: I mostly fly YVR-ZRH in the winter and the only non-stops are all seasonal summer-only (both Edelweiss and AC), and it pains me...

Because either I

-Fly through YYZ/YUL, risking getting snowed in
-Fly through LHR which I refuse to do because it's the worst
-Fly through LAX/SFO, which adds a ton of flight/travel time
-Fly through FRA/MUC, which is hardly ever economical

Boo.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24left
You've mentioned the flights times for AC to/from HKG in another thread and how the time wasn't convenient for you.

Maybe there is a thread somewhere on the giant FT forum that might explain how airlines schedule flight times, or maybe those on this forum who work at ATC or work for the airline or work at the airport, can explain it.

I am sure it is not for the convenience of those who want more time in any city. Among the many reasons TPACs, TATLs and such are scheduled the way they are are due to connecting pax, negotiated slot times and so much more.

There is a really interesting video at Wendover called "How Airlines Decide Where to Fly".

Finally, using the example of other Asian carriers whose flights depart after 1:00 am, many people prefer those flights as they get to sleep on the flight and upon arrival in Asia, go to work.
I'm asking these questions because obviously FT have a lot of smart people that can help me understand how this work. I'm just curious why that's the case. I get there are passengers that travel for work and leisure.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smiley90
No worries, it's Friday.

FWIW I completely agree, for purely selfish reasons: I mostly fly YVR-ZRH in the winter and the only non-stops are all seasonal summer-only (both Edelweiss and AC), and it pains me...

Because either I

-Fly through YYZ/YUL, risking getting snowed in
-Fly through LHR which I refuse to do because it's the worst
-Fly through LAX/SFO, which adds a ton of flight/travel time
-Fly through FRA/MUC, which is hardly ever economical

Boo.
Aw yes, I know what you mean. I experienced that one winter in JFK about a decade ago.

Can you please elaborate why LHR is the worse?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aw yes, I know what you mean. I experienced that one winter in JFK about a decade ago.

Can you please elaborate why LHR is the worse?
My baggage misses the connection about 1/3-1/2 of the time I connect there. I gave up on it after they lost it altogether one time. Purely my personal experience, but I try to avoid flying through it at all costs.

(I currently do the YVR-SFO/LAX-ZRH routing because while it takes longer, it has the least risk of something going wrong.)
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:06 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
I have the same 50% missing checked baggage hit rate from LHR, usually connecting from F

Going to be greedy and say I would much rather have YUL-HND
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: United (Prem Gold), KLM, AA
Desperate for AC to run YYZ-MAN in winter (or YYZ-BHX or YYZ-LPL) - amazed that the rest of England north of London with population of around 25 million (i.e. North + English Midlands) is judged to only merit a summer AC rouge service to MAN despite the many cultural connections between Toronto and the English cities in these regions. In winter I will generally prefer the connections through DUB [AC + Aer Lingus] or KEF [Iceland Air] to having to connect at or travel overland from LHR.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
YYZ-JNB (South Africa)
YYZ-CPT (South Africa)

Air Canada should also consider setting up a mini-Caribbean hub in Barbados
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by cooleddie
YYZ-JNB (South Africa)
YYZ-CPT (South Africa)
+1

I'd definitely appreciate a YYZ-JNB (or even better: YYZ-CPT) flight, but given how South Africa has been deteriorating, I'm not sure there's a strong business case for launching this ULH route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.