Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC now ranked "one of the worst performers" for OTP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC now ranked "one of the worst performers" for OTP

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Symmetre
This is a beef that I completely agree with. Why should I have to devote more hours to travel on a given day simply because AC can't get its act together? Those extra hours represent a real and legitimate cost.
If you ever truly want to drive yourself to drink and/or depression, add up all the hours of your time that AC costs you every year with late flights if you are SE.

My math over the last 2-3 years is at least 5-7 days of time (that counts the times when the last flight of the day from YUL to YYC is delayed and I have to catch one the next morning). Totally depressing.

If anybody wonders why the average FF (me) has no respect whatsoever for AC, it is in no small part because they have none for me.
Symmetre and mellon like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 28, 2020 at 6:35 pm
Old May 3, 2019, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by mellon
I wonder if its just AC incompetence, they truly have no idea how to fix the problem with all the issues AC has.

When I was chatting with an A 320 pilots he said its simple the planes are so old and poorly maintained they are always delayed, and nobody cares so the long list of deferred maintenance is just deferred again.
I don't know if "incompetence" is the correct description for holding a 787 for 2.25 hours to wait for about a dozen passengers from another delayed flight! That was the case on one of my recent Air Canada flights.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Clipper801
I don't know if "incompetence" is the correct description for holding a 787 for 2.25 hours to wait for about a dozen passengers from another delayed flight! That was the case on one of my recent Air Canada flights.
Meaning, in all likelihood that AC did the math and figured re-routing the dozen passengers (probably including hotels, taxi, food etc) would cost lots more than paying out the few voucher claims that would come through for the late arrivals and other mid-connects.

When it comes to OTP, AC does. NOT. Care. Our opinions are irrelevant to them, and the resident posters here who consistently hammer at AC for OTP go out of their way to avoid flying their aircraft anyway. ACmust make more money doing business this way. That’s the only logical answer.
ridefar and TechnoTourist like this.
Old May 4, 2019, 12:22 pm
Original Member

Which is worse: bad OTP or bad excuses for bad OTP?
Clipper801 likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Or consistently and intentionally lying about delays and ensuing departure times?
bigev007 likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by KenHamer
That is like asking which is worse, ebola or anthrax?
Symmetre likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope

Meaning, in all likelihood that AC did the math and figured re-routing the dozen passengers (probably including hotels, taxi, food etc) would cost lots more than paying out the few voucher claims that would come through for the late arrivals and other mid-connects.

When it comes to OTP, AC does. NOT. Care. Our opinions are irrelevant to them, and the resident posters here who consistently hammer at AC for OTP go out of their way to avoid flying their aircraft anyway. ACmust make more money doing business this way. That’s the only logical answer.
Some 40 other passengers missed their connection on arrival at YYZ plus another 150 or so unhappy delay passengers.
If there was another airline flying direct non-stop on that route, I would not have booked AC.
Old May 6, 2019, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Well, April stats are out.
Good news, AC is no longer worst in the world, and as weather has improved, so has AC - up to 68.88%
Bad news, still, by far, worst in North America

Old May 6, 2019, 4:08 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
BTW, the unlabeled bubble next to WS is F9.

Oddly enough, AC's OTP is a somewhat more respectable 73.48% if you include all AC flights (numbers above are mainline only).

Last edited by Bohemian1; May 6, 2019 at 4:20 pm
Old May 6, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
As mentioned OTP is not a show stopper for swaying pax from flying AC, especially not the FF who are willing to put up with many factors to keep status, me included..LOL!
Old May 6, 2019, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
BTW, the unlabeled bubble next to WS is F9.
Oddly enough, AC's OTP is a somewhat more respectable 73.48% if you include all AC flights (numbers above are mainline only).
That was also the case when AC was coming in at 47% in winter time, regionals and rouge were bringing it up to 52%

Originally Posted by james dean
As mentioned OTP is not a show stopper for swaying pax from flying AC, especially not the FF who are willing to put up with many factors to keep status, me included..LOL!
Lack of options for OPM flyers, especially domestically, has been mentioned over and over, and AC knows it, and there is zero need to improve OTP.
Old May 6, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
It would be interesting to see a proper statistical analysis, i.e. mean delay time and standard deviation so you could assess the necessary connection time to reduce the odds of a misconnect to something acceptable.

(For those unfamiliar, if you assume the delayed arrival times follow a normal distribution, the scheduled arrival time plus mean delay plus two standard deviations equates to a 97.5% probability you will arrive before that time.)
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 4:39 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Sopwith
It would be interesting to see a proper statistical analysis, i.e. mean delay time and standard deviation so you could assess the necessary connection time to reduce the odds of a misconnect to something acceptable.

(For those unfamiliar, if you assume the delayed arrival times follow a normal distribution, the scheduled arrival time plus mean delay plus two standard deviations equates to a 97.5% probability you will arrive before that time.)
For specific flights, this is one of the reasons I lean on Expert Flyer's "reliability" data. Sure, it's only for the previous two months, but this data combined with MCT data is really useful in helping me pick flights. But data that could help me with the next two months (based on historical) would be even more useful.

It's sad that I even have to do this, but it does mitigate the risk in getting where I need to go.

Last edited by Bohemian1; May 6, 2019 at 4:40 pm Reason: missing word
Old May 6, 2019, 5:16 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Sopwith

Delays cannot follow a normal distribution, as there is a lower bound. That is, a flight cannot be delayed less than 0 seconds; a flight delayed by a negative time is not a delayed flight - it arrived early. Meanwhile, there is no upper bound to how long a flight can be delayed (particularly with Air Canada.)

You are looking for something more like a Poisson distribution.
Clipper801 and mellon like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.