Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC now ranked "one of the worst performers" for OTP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC now ranked "one of the worst performers" for OTP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by RangerNS
They should go the other way. Increase all flight durations by 30 minutes, and then they would go to the best OTP in the business.

But yeah, lounge-chicken is a "fun" game.
That would beat running through Pearson to make a US connection to find out your "on time" flight isn't actually boarding until God knows when
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by bigev007
That would beat running through Pearson to make a US connection to find out your "on time" flight isn't actually boarding until God knows when
Yea simply posting accurate and timely information would be useful.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Yeah, agree so much is self-inflicted.

On a recent set of 4 flights, 4/4 were at least fifteen minutes late. Reasons:

- Couldn’t get a gate on at least one end (3/4)
- Lav service only emptied one of two lav tanks. (1/4)
- One of the computers at the gate was innop, meaning boarding delays and delays helping pax with ticket issues. (2/4)
- En route winds added 30 mins (1/4)

Of those exactly one wasn’t caused by AC.

Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dordal
Yeah, agree so much is self-inflicted.

On a recent set of 4 flights, 4/4 were at least fifteen minutes late. Reasons:

- Couldn’t get a gate on at least one end (3/4)
- Lav service only emptied one of two lav tanks. (1/4)
- One of the computers at the gate was innop, meaning boarding delays and delays helping pax with ticket issues. (2/4)
- En route winds added 30 mins (1/4)

Of those exactly one wasn’t caused by AC.

To be fair, only one of those is not something I've experienced on another airline

And I'm counting the lav issue as "ground crew didn't do their job".

I don't know how a gate computer not working would be an issue. They generally have 3+ and use 1-2 for boarding on the small flights. They have and use more on the large flights. And they can very easily use any computer at any gate to deal with "ticket issues". That was one they easily could have prevented.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: AC SE
out of 26 AC flights since Jan 19 i have yet to have an one time departure. WS out of 6 flights all on time arrival and departure. Frontier out of 2 both on time. United out of 2 both on time. Lufthansa 3/4 on time and Vienna 2/3 on time.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by 5mm
I generally get pi??ed off with flight delays But one thing I like about AC is they don't cancel their flights as easy as US airlines in bad weather. It kills there OTP, but generally you get a flight. US airlines start cancelling flights days before storms, just to protect their OTP. Great for them, but bad for everyone else. I spent extra nights in Chicago/NYC this winter because of this.
? I think its better to cancel a flight in Advance rather than AC that does it at the last moment or just has endless delays. Reality even if AC did cancel more flights it would not change its pathetic in time performance much. ( it also seems from out "fact poster" Rankourabu that AC cancels more flights than the US competitors)
? does AC have less maintenance people, or are its A320 so old that they are what makes so many delays?
I always wonder how AC has become the worst on time performance?
rankourabu likes this.

Last edited by mellon; Apr 29, 2019 at 6:37 am
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:30 am

but this doesn't counter that argument as AA/UA/DL as a whole are not as exposed to weather as AC in the winter months. Unless they have identical routes/times, your post doesn't add anything to that argument supporting it or otherwise

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Yeah cool spin (and props for not simply stating old excuses), however, lets look at the actual numbers for Feb.2019 as provided by Flighstats.

AC cancelled 8.32% of their flights
AA 4.10%
UA 4.46%
DL 2.50%
WS 6.05%

Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:37 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mellon
? I think its better to cancel a flight in Advance rather than AC that does it at the last moment or just has endless delays.?
Why? AC give you the option of changing/cancelling your flight for no charge in major weather. Therefor there is no reason to cancel flights in advance. You can just change your outbound flight. Plus, the weather can/does change.

What happens if it’s your return flight? It’s a lot better for 99% of pax if AC works some magic and get a few flights moving. I had my UA flight cancelled 2 days before a storm hit Chicago this winter. It was actually not even snowing when my flight was suppose to depart. I was not happy being in Chicago for the 2 extra days. AC on the other had had delays and cancellations, but they were still getting pax out by subbing in larger aircraft.

Just look at NYC flights. During bad weather, AC reg subs in 767’s at the last min to get people home. Yes, these flights can be hours late, but guess what, you get home. US airlines just starting cancelling and it becomes your problem for a few days.
RangerNS and TechnoTourist like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by gilboman
but this doesn't counter that argument as AA/UA/DL as a whole are not as exposed to weather as AC in the winter months. Unless they have identical routes/times, your post doesn't add anything to that argument supporting it or otherwise
Oh not the weather argument again. Please - it's been disproved so many times it's not even funny. Yes, AC faces winter delays by flying out of hubs like YYZ, YUL and YYC. So does Westjet, yet their OTP is significantly better every single time - in spite of operating out of the exact same airports as AC. Why can they do it and AC can't?

DL has hubs in Minneapolis, New York, Denver and Detroit, cities that get exactly the same type of winter weather (or worse) than YYZ or YUL. AA has hubs in JFK, LGA and ORD, probably three of the worst airports in North America for consistent, year-round delays. UA has its hubs in ORD, DEN and EWR, which are also far more consistently prone to delays than YYZ or YUL.

Weather is NOT a factor.
KenHamer, rankourabu and nexusCFX like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by 5mm

Why? AC give you the option of changing/cancelling your flight for no charge in major weather. Therefor there is no reason to cancel flights in advance. You can just change your outbound flight. Plus, the weather can/does change.

What happens if it’s your return flight? It’s a lot better for 99% of pax if AC works some magic and get a few flights moving. I had my UA flight cancelled 2 days before a storm hit Chicago this winter. It was actually not even snowing when my flight was suppose to depart. I was not happy being in Chicago for the 2 extra days. AC on the other had had delays and cancellations, but they were still getting pax out by subbing in larger aircraft.

Just look at NYC flights. During bad weather, AC reg subs in 767’s at the last min to get people home. Yes, these flights can be hours late, but guess what, you get home. US airlines just starting cancelling and it becomes your problem for a few days.
Proactively cancelling flights at a hub soon to be affected by weather gives people opportunites to rebook via other hubs in advance, and/or cancel their flight since there is always a generous waiver associated with weather events. If I am going YYZ-EWR-XXX, and EWR is affected, I am happy to have the opportunity to rebook ahead of time to YYZ-ORD-XXX, instead of waiting until the snow hits. Waiting until the weather hits and getting caught with your pants down (like AC does), means more people get stuck.

Your personal experiences are irrelevant, the numbers speak for themselves. By your logic, both my AC flights were on time in 2019, therefore AC has an 100% OTP!

Originally Posted by gilboman
The weather excuse was debunked in the other thread. AA/UA/DL are exposed to worse weather than AC. Hubs at EWR, IAD, ORD, DTW, MSP, LGA, JFK all have horrible weather, and the impact of any bad weather has a far more reaching ripple effect on those carriers than a YYZ storm has on AC.

Now, the regular AC faithful have come up with "oh but others cancel way more!" - which again, numbers show otherwise. AC cancels a higher percentage of their flights, even though they operate 3x less flights than the big boys.

I am amazed that people are so keen to make more excuses for AC than AC does themselves!
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:52 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Symmetre
Oh not the weather argument again. Please - it's been disproved so many times it's not even funny. Yes, AC faces winter delays by flying out of hubs like YYZ, YUL and YYC. So does Westjet, yet their OTP is significantly better every single time - in spite of operating out of the exact same airports as AC. Why can they do it and AC can't?

DL has hubs in Minneapolis, New York, Denver and Detroit, cities that get exactly the same type of winter weather (or worse) than YYZ or YUL. AA has hubs in JFK, LGA and ORD, probably three of the worst airports in North America for consistent, year-round delays. UA has its hubs in ORD, DEN and EWR, which are also far more consistently prone to delays than YYZ or YUL.
Weather is NOT a factor.
You forgot the most important fact in your argument. Yes, US airlines have Hubs that get bad weather, but it effects a smaller percent of their fleet.
WaytoomuchEurope likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Proactively cancelling flights at a hub soon to be affected by weather gives people opportunites to rebook via other hubs in advance, and/or cancel their flight since there is always a generous waiver associated with weather events. If I am going YYZ-EWR-XXX, and EWR is affected, I am happy to have the opportunity to rebook ahead of time to YYZ-ORD-XXX, instead of waiting until the snow hits. Waiting until the weather hits and getting caught with your pants down (like AC does), means more people get stuck.
AC posts waivers in those situations, so you have the same ability to change or cancel in advance. The difference is if conditions change, AC can still get the flight out.

However, this really has nothing to do with OTP.
5mm likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Agree, totally irrelevant. The argument was, AC's OTP is bad because they dont cancel as many flights, thus are prone to more delays.

And as shown, thats utter nonsense, because they cancel a higher percentage of their flights than anyone else in North America.
mellon likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by canadiancow
AC posts waivers in those situations, so you have the same ability to change or cancel in advance. The difference is if conditions change, AC can still get the flight out.

The only slight difference is that AC's waiver doesn't allow you to book OAL, but a cancelled flight would allow you to 240 onto any other flight.

Another thing to take into consideration with regards to block times is that shortening the block can allow you to change your connections/network planning and "game" aircraft utilization into something more favourable especially if you know you can handle a tighter connection.

If I was AC and I had to choose between gaming block time for network planning/aircraft utilization vs. OTP stats, I'd likely choose the former (unless the latter costs more than the revenue gained by the former).
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
If I was AC and I had to choose between gaming block time for network planning/aircraft utilization vs. OTP stats, I'd likely choose the former (unless the latter costs more than the revenue gained by the former).
AC block times are the same as competitors, yet OTP stats are not, so what are they gaming/gaining/utilizing?

I'd love to see AC turn around times, but I m willing to bet, they would be the same if not longer than the competition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.