Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC now ranked "one of the worst performers" for OTP

AC now ranked "one of the worst performers" for OTP

Old Jan 3, 20, 4:01 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
The piece referenced above also mentions something akin to 'peak OTP' for the industry.

I guess it's all downhill from here?
Old Jan 13, 20, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, AC35k
December is out for OAG. Air Canada had a much better December than in 2018 by over 6%! They did manage to get ranked #149/161 by OAG beating out such world-class airlines as Air India and Swoop.

Keep up the good work AC! Maybe January will be above >50% too!

Air Canada 55.9% 149

Before the regulars blame the weather - Westjet managed 76% in December.
Symmetre and secretalcoholic like this.
Old Jan 13, 20, 8:51 am

Programs: TK *G
Last month 2/3 flights I had on AC were delayed. It could be 3/3 if I didn't do stand by to the first flight of the day. Also had 6 flights on other carriers, only one was delayed due to a combination of late inbound and de-icing.
Old Jan 15, 20, 1:41 pm

Prompted by a comment about AC's stock price going up and up, I did some half-assed Internet research and come up with this:

No, there's no real causation here other than rampant cost cutting.

Sources: OAG Punctuality Reports and Google Finance. Share price quoted is at year end close.
Old Jan 15, 20, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Unbelievably mediocre performance of Canada-based airlines... 0 in the top 10, 9 in the bottom 14.
Old Jan 15, 20, 6:39 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by respectable_man View Post
unbelievably mediocre performance of canada-based airlines... 0 in the top 10, 9 in the bottom 14.
ゼロゼロゼロゼロ。
Old Jan 15, 20, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by respectable_man View Post
Unbelievably mediocre performance of Canada-based airlines... 0 in the top 10, 9 in the bottom 14.
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer View Post
ゼロゼロゼロゼロ。
What I'd begu interested in knowing is the severity of delays out of specific airports, and whether thesegu are mainline, RV, QK, etc. and what metal.
Old Jan 15, 20, 6:55 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by Bohemian1 View Post
Prompted by a comment about AC's stock price going up and up, I did some half-assed Internet research and come up with this:

No, there's no real causation here other than rampant cost cutting.

Sources: OAG Punctuality Reports and Google Finance. Share price quoted is at year end close.
I guess this explains why the people who could do something about it don't.
Symmetre likes this.
Old Jan 15, 20, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW View Post
We've beaten this to death, most recently in the thread on Calin's stock exercise, but yes, this is exactly the case.

Better OTP would start with turn times that are not impossible and staffing the gate and ground staff (and grooming, if it even happens) at higher levels so that planes could be turned more quickly. That would require buying more planes to maintain the current route network (or cutting it back) and increasing headcount - but that isn't what AC management cares about. They place the financial performance of the airline way way above operational performance, and their consistently horrible OTP is the result of their balance in priorities.

You fly AC, you live with those choices.
An AC gate agent claimed to me, while debating why she didn't want to rebook my connection, that she usually boards a 789 in "less than 20 minutes". Disregarding that she was definitely lying to avoid having to do 3 minutes of work and rebook me, has anyone ever seen an AC 789 leave the gate in <20 minutes from the start of boarding?
Old Jan 15, 20, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by eigenvector View Post
An AC gate agent claimed to me, while debating why she didn't want to rebook my connection, that she usually boards a 789 in "less than 20 minutes". Disregarding that she was definitely lying to avoid having to do 3 minutes of work and rebook me, has anyone ever seen an AC 789 leave the gate in <20 minutes from the start of boarding?
Nope. Not even out of HND, NRT, or ICN. (well, for me they were all 788s)
But you knew that already.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 20, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, AC35k
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
What I'd begu interested in knowing is the severity of delays out of specific airports, and whether thesegu are mainline, RV, QK, etc. and what metal.
RV/QK are not included in the 55.9% by OAG.
At least they werent when flightstats used to publish a chart and when AC was scoring <50% last winter.
In fact RV/QK would have brought mainline up
Old Jan 16, 20, 9:27 am

Programs: AC SE*100K
Originally Posted by eigenvector View Post
Haha. Air Canada can't even board a full E190 in 20 minutes.

They either need to improve automation or hire more staff or both before they get to the level of most major Asian carriers which can board a 777 in 20 minutes.

But as long as management doesn't care nothing will change.
Symmetre likes this.
Old Jan 16, 20, 9:36 am

The slow boarding times must be due to the weather. Colder weather, pax move slower.

They blame the weather for everything else, so why not this?
Old Jan 16, 20, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW View Post
Haha. Air Canada can't even board a full E190 in 20 minutes.

They either need to improve automation or hire more staff or both before they get to the level of most major Asian carriers which can board a 777 in 20 minutes.

But as long as management doesn't care nothing will change.
I suspect the real issue is luggage. As long as people can carry on board for free luggage that they have to pay to check in, things won't change. But presumably such a change might make most customers more angry than AC can afford...
Old Jan 17, 20, 6:33 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Another day, another delay. I think I am batting less than 20% OTP since the fall. Western Canada flights having been running late all day, assuming due to the weather. Why don't they increase the winter block times to account for the deicing line-ups in basically every city come winter. It's really tiresome.

Search this Thread