Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC now ranked "one of the worst performers" for OTP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC now ranked "one of the worst performers" for OTP

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2021, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Its not just the block times ,but the turn times... AC has unrealistic (published) expectations of how long it takes to turn a plane. Add in a few minute late arrival, a short turn time, and after the first flight or two of the day you're already way behind.

If they had more buffer, a few minutes here or there wouldn't make too much of a difference but the way they run now.... its just a snowball effect.

The few YYZ-YYC-YYZ runs I did over the summer (the 8A on a 787) , it seemed they loaded up reasonably well, then sat around for 20 minutes after... so something 'under the wings' may not be done with the necessary timing..
Old Oct 17, 2021, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by entropy
Its not just the block times ,but the turn times...
This is what I've been told as well from my source at AC. As an example, they are apparently giving themselves 30 more minutes than WS to turn a 737, and they still can't do it. Staffing shortages isn't helping at the moment.

Still, I have to agree with Adam Smith. Block times are a bit tight, but according to my source, turn times are the reason for the poor OTP.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 5:13 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone
This is what I've been told as well from my source at AC. As an example, they are apparently giving themselves 30 more minutes than WS to turn a 737, and they still can't do it. Staffing shortages isn't helping at the moment.

Still, I have to agree with Adam Smith. Block times are a bit tight, but according to my source, turn times are the reason for the poor OTP.
Did your source have a theory for the reason of the longer turn times?

As I reported here, AC702 YYZ-LGA was delayed by over an hour last Sunday, Oct 10, apparently due to straggling passengers stuck in long customs lines. Today, Oct 17, AC707 LGA-YYZ was again delayed by over an hour due to a late inbound AC702. Checking Flightaware, I now see that AC702 has been late by over an hour each of the last 3 days and hasn't pushed back within 10 minutes of the scheduled departure time of 8:30am since Oct 6. Given this is the first flight of the day for the aircraft, what's causing all these delays? If it's customs-related, why has YYZ or CBP still not adjusted to the recovery in air travel, which is after all still below pre-pandemic levels?
Old Oct 17, 2021, 5:20 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Originally Posted by capedreamer

As I reported here, AC702 YYZ-LGA was delayed by over an hour last Sunday, Oct 10, apparently due to straggling passengers stuck in long customs lines. Today, Oct 17, AC707 LGA-YYZ was again delayed by over an hour due to a late inbound AC702. Checking Flightaware, I now see that AC702 has been late by over an hour each of the last 3 days and hasn't pushed back within 10 minutes of the scheduled departure time of 8:30am since Oct 6. Given this is the first flight of the day for the aircraft, what's causing all these delays? If it's customs-related, why has YYZ or CBP still not adjusted to the recovery in air travel, which is after all still below pre-pandemic levels?
Isn't this within the airline's control? The airline chose to stay behind on a commercial basis and wait for the stragglers ignoring departure times.

I guess the $400 doesn't kick in until after a 3 hour delay.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 6:17 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium

That's why AC has increased check in deadline and MCT, but it looks like it's not working. I see that other morning TB flights are still delayed every day by 30+ minutes.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I'm told by some relatives that recently did TB... there was very thin staffing for the security pre-customs, which delayed lots of people and it caused significant delays while waiting for people to clear security.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 9:35 am

Programs: AC E75K

FWIW, I sent in a feedback note to AC and got this response:

Good Morning Mr. _______,

As you can appreciate many of these delays are uncontrollable, such as AC707 was due to long delays in US Customs checking passengers documents and then our staff have to make sure passengers at the gate also have the correct documents.

Until such time the Covid requirements are relaxed by these governments agency's, you will continue to see these delays occur I regret to say.

Sincerely,
_______
Old Oct 18, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Ok then so mystery solved. The sad OTP is entirely the governments fault. And covids. Clearly other airlines do not have to deal with either, so just like with winter weather, only AC is disadvantaged.
arf04, capedreamer and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 10:10 am

At YUL transborder yesterday, October 17, CATSA connection security was backed up (one of two lanes operating) and there was a further wait at US Customs. There was a flood of people queueing for the bank of flights leaving to the US at 13:30. Our flight to LGA was delayed 25 minutes waiting for passengers.

It's a long walk from the Dash 8 dungeon at gate 12 so the 55 minute minimum connection time from Canada to US is only achievable if everything goes according to plan.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 1:49 pm

Not hard to see why AC has trouble with OTP.
Fly an extra 100 miles in 10 minutes less time.

In all fairness, looks like YOW-YYG swapped from the usual CRJ to a DH4 and the time wasn't adjusted.
Same issue with the westbound flight.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 12:32 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by tracon
Not hard to see why AC has trouble with OTP.
Fly an extra 100 miles in 10 minutes less time.

In all fairness, looks like YOW-YYG swapped from the usual CRJ to a DH4 and the time wasn't adjusted.
Same issue with the westbound flight.
lol let’s just say that it takes some extra time to wait for de-icing at YUL comparing to YOW. Only logical reason I can think of.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 10:32 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by songsc
lol let’s just say that it takes some extra time to wait for de-icing at YUL comparing to YOW. Only logical reason I can think of.
I think you're joking, but there may be a surprising amount of truth in that statement. I had some ludicrous delays outbound from YUL in late October when winter first hit, 100% caused by the massive line at the de-icing pad. Like, push back 5 minutes early, but arrive 45 minutes late despite favourable winds, that kind of stuff.

(I don't disagree that particular block time discrepancy is likely an error, just noting the ridiculous effect YUL's de-icing seems to have on OTP)
Old Dec 18, 2021, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bottom line probably is that cat this point they don't care anymore.

I cannot remember when, since I started flying again, I had a flight that was not delayed. Mostly because of "late arrival" of the previous flight. That one figures out before they announce the deal just by looking at the previous flight. Recently at CDG, I had booked a train n hour and half past arrival. Even though I.arrived first (from our flight) at a totally empty passport control, and I walked quite fast, I barely made it to my train. (Yes, it was a changeable/refundable fare.)

More recently, coming back from AMS, about 150 minutes before scheduled departure, check in area was a huge battle zone. Moving very slowly. Mainly because most passengers had not done their homework or had a difficult time showing the three things required. Of course if you were ready, showing the stuff was quick. I commented to to the guy in charge that by the way it looked we were never going to be leaving on time. he said, trust me you'll see. Boarding indeed was completed on time. But then there was an issue with loading luggage and we ended up leaving 50 minutes late... I do believe it an airport problem, as they claimed. (Flightaware did mention airport delays.)

But the bottom line remains, it really looks like AC no longer cares...
Old Dec 18, 2021, 7:58 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger
Bottom line probably is that cat this point they don't care anymore.

I cannot remember when, since I started flying again, I had a flight that was not delayed. Mostly because of "late arrival" of the previous flight. That one figures out before they announce the deal just by looking at the previous flight. Recently at CDG, I had booked a train n hour and half past arrival. Even though I.arrived first (from our flight) at a totally empty passport control, and I walked quite fast, I barely made it to my train. (Yes, it was a changeable/refundable fare.)

More recently, coming back from AMS, about 150 minutes before scheduled departure, check in area was a huge battle zone. Moving very slowly. Mainly because most passengers had not done their homework or had a difficult time showing the three things required. Of course if you were ready, showing the stuff was quick. I commented to to the guy in charge that by the way it looked we were never going to be leaving on time. he said, trust me you'll see. Boarding indeed was completed on time. But then there was an issue with loading luggage and we ended up leaving 50 minutes late... I do believe it an airport problem, as they claimed. (Flightaware did mention airport delays.)

But the bottom line remains, it really looks like AC no longer cares...
Based on block times and the history of same, I can't recall a time that AC ever cared (at least in my last 5 years of flying).
Old Dec 18, 2021, 9:22 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I think you're joking, but there may be a surprising amount of truth in that statement. I had some ludicrous delays outbound from YUL in late October when winter first hit, 100% caused by the massive line at the de-icing pad. Like, push back 5 minutes early, but arrive 45 minutes late despite favourable winds, that kind of stuff.

(I don't disagree that particular block time discrepancy is likely an error, just noting the ridiculous effect YUL's de-icing seems to have on OTP)
I was half joking, but as I said de-icing delay was the only logical reason I could think of.

De-icing wait time is generally longer at busier airports. It’s common to wait for 30-60min for de-icing at YUL and YYZ, but very unlikely at YOW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.