Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC now ranked "one of the worst performers" for OTP

AC now ranked "one of the worst performers" for OTP

Old Sep 13, 21, 3:13 pm
  #286  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Halifax
Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Posts: 3,972
Originally Posted by Symmetre View Post
why do less than half of AC's flights arrive on time?
The simple answer is because AC doesn't care.

Or, they care about their own internal OTP concept, which might be +/- 30, as opposed to the industry standard. Possibly because they set longer MCTs than is otherwise normal; they have a schedule that allows picking up stragglers easily, and ultimately customers are not boned as often as the OTP would suggest, and they do care about the boned-factor.

I mostly don't care that a flight arrives over 15 minutes late for a connection, only in time enough to make a connection. 15 minutes is industry. Make a connection is me. I mostly don't care that a flight arrives within hours if it arrives "sometime Sunday night". So far as I care, both those scenarios are "on time".
RangerNS is offline  
Old Sep 13, 21, 3:31 pm
  #287  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE MM, IHG Diamond, National Exec Elite
Posts: 359
Not to defend AC, but is part of it that they set up poor expectations? Looking at YYZ-ORD, both AC and UA use a 175 on the route. AC consistently publishes it s a 50 minute flight while UA publishes 57 to 60 minutes.
SearsTower is offline  
Old Sep 13, 21, 3:39 pm
  #288  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Toronto, ON
Programs: AC 75K
Posts: 6,090
I'd be curious if their Cargo ops are included in those stats and if there is a OTP difference between PAX and Cargo.
ChrisA330 is offline  
Old Sep 13, 21, 4:15 pm
  #289  
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE MM, DL PM, WS Silver, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium, Hilton/Radisson Gold, Accor Silver
Posts: 15,115
Originally Posted by Symmetre View Post
I mean no disrespect to anyone here, but considerations like delays in the customs hall, or the comparable OTP of flights that one had no intention of taking anyway because they leave at 6:00 am on a Sunday morning, really are peripheral to the primary discussion here, which is - why do less than half of AC's flights arrive on time?
Why is that the primary discussion? The answer to why AC's OTP is so bad is obvious - as you've pointed out, AC controls its own schedule, so AC either is bad at setting the schedule or doesn't care about its OTP (at least as it's commonly measured in the industry). When you get right down to it, weather, YYZ runway construction, whatever, those things are all known in advance. AC chooses not to factor them in to their schedule in the same way other airlines do.

So the OTP sucks, we all agree about that. The question @RangerNS raised was about what you do with that information and how it factors in to your trip planning process.

there have been speculations about how they calculate block times [...] none of it really explains why The Gosh Darn Bestest Airline In The Whole Wide World According to Skytrax can't meet a schedule of its own manufacture
How can you say block times don't explain why AC doesn't meet the schedule? Block times are the schedule. If AC consistently sets block times too short, it is guaranteed to impact OTP.

Short block times are not at all an excuse for poor OTP, because AC determines the block times. But you said you want an explanation; you want to know why? That's a huge factor.

Originally Posted by SearsTower View Post
Not to defend AC, but is part of it that they set up poor expectations? Looking at YYZ-ORD, both AC and UA use a 175 on the route. AC consistently publishes it s a 50 minute flight while UA publishes 57 to 60 minutes.
Indeed. See here and here for more.
EdmFlyBoi likes this.
Adam Smith is offline  
Old Sep 16, 21, 3:17 pm
  #290  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Programs: UA Silver
Posts: 1,914
Originally Posted by RangerNS View Post
The simple answer is because AC doesn't care.

Or, they care about their own internal OTP concept, which might be +/- 30, as opposed to the industry standard. Possibly because they set longer MCTs than is otherwise normal; they have a schedule that allows picking up stragglers easily, and ultimately customers are not boned as often as the OTP would suggest, and they do care about the boned-factor.
It is impossible to believe that, if AC could operationally do away with this statistics by simply publishing arrival times that are 15mins later without any disruption to their operations, they would not seize the chance to do so. In fact the airline would be unique in purposely seeking self-inflicted reputational damage by insisting on poor OTP when such a simple solution was at hand.

Not saying they they aren’t using +/- 30 internally, just saying that if they could publish a schedule so that all flights show as on time, they would be truly stupid not to do so.
respectable_man is offline  
Old Sep 16, 21, 7:55 pm
  #291  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Halifax
Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Posts: 3,972
Originally Posted by respectable_man View Post
It is impossible to believe that, if AC could operationally do away with this statistics by simply publishing arrival times that are 15mins later without any disruption to their operations, they would not seize the chance to do so. In fact the airline would be unique in purposely seeking self-inflicted reputational damage by insisting on poor OTP when such a simple solution was at hand.

Not saying they they arent using +/- 30 internally, just saying that if they could publish a schedule so that all flights show as on time, they would be truly stupid not to do so.
Which might be strong evidence that lying about being faster is better, reputationally, than not being as fast as they say they are and missing metrics only the super geeks GAF about.
canadiancow and TechnoTourist like this.
RangerNS is offline  
Old Sep 16, 21, 10:00 pm
  #292  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, AC35k
Posts: 22,739
Originally Posted by RangerNS View Post
Which might be strong evidence that lying about being faster is better, reputationally, than not being as fast as they say they are and missing metrics only the super geeks GAF about.
Not to mention that there are people who do sort their Kayak searches by 'duration'. It may pay to be at the top of those results. If price is same on numerous daily YYZEWR for example, wouldn't some people choose the "faster" flight?
rankourabu is offline  
Old Sep 16, 21, 10:03 pm
  #293  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, UA Gold, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Silver
Posts: 41,480
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
Not to mention that there are people who do sort their Kayak searches by 'duration'. It may pay to be at the top of those results. If price is same on numerous daily YYZEWR for example, wouldn't some people choose the "faster" flight?
I can't imagine anyone would take the 55 minute flight at 1300 over the 65 minute flight at 1500 due to the duration.
canadiancow is offline  
Old Sep 16, 21, 10:15 pm
  #294  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, AC35k
Posts: 22,739
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I can't imagine anyone would take the 55 minute flight at 1300 over the 65 minute flight at 1500 due to the duration.
Do you kayak? I cant imagine taking a connecting flight for $50 less vs a nonstop either, but talk to some kayakers.
rankourabu is offline  
Old Sep 16, 21, 11:40 pm
  #295  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, UA Gold, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Silver
Posts: 41,480
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
Do you kayak? I cant imagine taking a connecting flight for $50 less vs a nonstop either, but talk to some kayakers.
$50 is very different than $0.
canadiancow is offline  
Old Sep 17, 21, 6:26 am
  #296  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Halifax
Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Posts: 3,972
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
Do you kayak? I cant imagine taking a connecting flight for $50 less vs a nonstop either, but talk to some kayakers.
+1 segment, +1 lounge access and I save $50? Downside?
RangerNS is offline  
Old Sep 17, 21, 7:36 am
  #297  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, AC35k
Posts: 22,739
Originally Posted by RangerNS View Post
+1 segment, +1 lounge access and I save $50? Downside?
51.1% chance your flight will be late, miss your connection and then spend 3 hours on the phone trying to call AC? Think like a kayaker
rankourabu is offline  
Old Sep 17, 21, 8:12 am
  #298  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Halifax
Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Posts: 3,972
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
51.1% chance your flight will be late, miss your connection and then spend 3 hours on the phone trying to call AC? Think like a kayaker
(oh, if I was smart enough to troll to this point)

I've never missed a CX on even an hour late inbound. And 50/50 there is a concierge at the gate with paperwork in hand to take care of me. AC has only failed my concept of ontime around 5%, not ~50%
RangerNS is offline  
Old Oct 11, 21, 9:37 am
  #299  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, AC35k
Posts: 22,739
Massive improvement for September.
Still worst by far in North America, but AC flyers may get a couple months in before back down below 50% in winter!

rankourabu is offline  
Old Oct 11, 21, 10:12 am
  #300  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: YVR
Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Posts: 2,795
The frustrating part of this is that the AC execs know, have known for years, and aren't doing anything about it. They just don't care.
Sopwith is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread