Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master Thread American Express Aeroplan cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Master Thread American Express Aeroplan cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2023, 2:24 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by mrclutch31
I currently have TD Aeroplan VIP and am thinking of adding Aeroplan Reserve Business mainly to get 2x Annual Companion Passes per year.
I signed up for the TD card in September and received most of the sign-up bonus last month. Would it be too soon to apply for another premium Aeroplan CC?
I'm worried because of the ongoing crackdown on churners by Aeroplan.
I'm hearing that it should be okay since one is personal and one is business, but I'd love to know actual data points from folks who have signed up for both cards recently...
Thanks.
I received Amex in April and TD in October. No issue with multiple cards. TD is just a pain with respect to credit limits but that was addressed with a rather lengthy branch visit. You should be fine. I continue to use both actively.
You will appreciate Amex posting SQM boosts shortly after the transaction threshold is reached, and not waiting for a statement date. It's also got a better earn rate on AC flights and i've made my fee back in valet discounts and parking rebates.
PM me if you want additional info or a referral.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 3:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
Originally Posted by Stranger
Any recent experience with Amex Reserve insurance?

I filed a claim for rental car damage early October. Sent the required docs by e-mail. Seems to have dropped into a black hole. Sent a second e-mail inquiring, no response.

It appears they may have changed the insurer, now a subsidiary of Intact. I read somewhere about up to 45 days to process claims, and no answer to e-mail seems to have occurred. Past experience was that processing was very quick, so seems to have changed for the worse?

Any recent experience?
I submitted a claim in August for a car rental from YEG to YYC after delayed AC flight from YYZ caused us to miss our connection in YEG (to avoid having to overnite
in YEG after previously having the infamous flt #153 cancelled the day before).
The claim was showing as in process for 2 months. I emailed. No response. I finally called. Agent said everything was good and payment coming soon.
I waited a week. Called again. Better agent said she would escalate it. Next day I get an email asking for original AC itinerary. I sent it (for the 2nd time).

I received an email 2 days later saying claim approved. Cheque in mail 2 days after that. All told it took 3 months from date of sending claim.

I would call & rattle their cage.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=muskoka;35745164]

Thanks.

Sounds like things have gone downhill there too...
Old Nov 15, 2023, 10:38 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I had great recent experience--immediate response and payment to car rental agency for damage in August, filed as soon as I received paperwork from agency and paid within 2 weeks of filing.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm assuming no one's received the 15k SQM from the promo yet?

I'm a little surprised how quickly the eUps were deposited. You'd think eUps and SQM are equally easy to award.
I hit the threshold on my September 6 statement date. 10 weeks puts me at Nov 15. I have nothing as of yet. No eups or SQM.
The Ivory Actuary likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC SE, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by antistan
I hit the threshold on my September 6 statement date. 10 weeks puts me at Nov 15. I have nothing as of yet. No eups or SQM.
That does not sound good. I already had this card but I alerted a friend to the promo, he signed up, and he hit the spending threshold around October 20th, just before his first statement posted. He got the 15k SQM within a week or two.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by antistan
In an almost identical boat - as is Mrs Actuary. Getting a little annoyed/anxious about it.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by The Ivory Actuary
In an almost identical boat - as is Mrs Actuary. Getting a little annoyed/anxious about it.
Anxious is the word for me. Who do we call? I tried Amex and they said there was no promo for that so try Aeroplan. But not sure who to call.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 8:16 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium / Amex Aeroplan Reserve / Aeroplan 50k
I think I remember reading that there is a date deadline to get the Aeroplan Reserve card in order to roll over e-upgrades.. I hastily cancelled my primary card, and use only my supplementary card of my wife's account...(not realizing that the roll over is only for primary) I'll get my own card back if it's not too late.... Anyone know?

Thanks,

RvR
Old Nov 20, 2023, 8:48 am

Programs: AC SE100K, ALL Diamond, WestJet Gold
Question about the Amex Aeroplan Reserve and the Amex Platinum card.

1) For lounge access, do I simply need to be a card holder (with a boarding pass), or must the ticket be bought with my card?

2) I just got the Aeroplan Reserve pretty much to be able to roll over my unused eUps and the welcome bonus, but I don't know that my business travel will ever get back to levels that will even get me close to SE anymore so I'm wondering if the Platinum Card might not be a better option?

3)And for the Aeroplan Reserve, once I lose my status, can I access all MLL, or is it only domestic and transborder?
Old Nov 20, 2023, 9:01 am

Programs: SE, 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by YULRvR
I think I remember reading that there is a date deadline to get the Aeroplan Reserve card in order to roll over e-upgrades.. I hastily cancelled my primary card, and use only my supplementary card of my wife's account...(not realizing that the roll over is only for primary) I'll get my own card back if it's not too late.... Anyone know?

Thanks,

RvR
it’s in the standard blurb on the page:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...es.html#/home:
Old Nov 20, 2023, 10:01 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium / Amex Aeroplan Reserve / Aeroplan 50k
Thank you! I was looking on the Amex site.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by YULRvR

Thanks,

RvR
While its dependent on your individual situation, I recently applied (for similar reasons) and was approved on-line in a minute or so. Within an hour I received an e mail from Aeroplan stating that my account had been linked to the new card! Given all of AC's other IT challenges this was very hard to believe.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Hoogaar
Question about the Amex Aeroplan Reserve and the Amex Platinum card.

1) For lounge access, do I simply need to be a card holder (with a boarding pass), or must the ticket be bought with my card?

2) I just got the Aeroplan Reserve pretty much to be able to roll over my unused eUps and the welcome bonus, but I don't know that my business travel will ever get back to levels that will even get me close to SE anymore so I'm wondering if the Platinum Card might not be a better option?

3)And for the Aeroplan Reserve, once I lose my status, can I access all MLL, or is it only domestic and transborder?
1) Cardholder and account linked. There is not a requirement to purchase the ticket with the card.
3) All MLL in Can/US. (e.g. no access in Europe). Card does come with Priority Pass enrolment, which may result in a fee per visit.
2) You will have to compare the two and assess your anticipated travel. If you will have enough travel to maintain 50K, then you still have lounge access and other *G access. If not totally invested in Aeroplan, then Platinum will accumulate MR points, redeemable via AMEX and/or transferable to many programs (including Aeroplan).
Old Nov 20, 2023, 10:56 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
I have two AMEX 1,000 SQM thresholds from the beginning of November that did not post. One from later in November did post. Historically, I've seen the status boost bonus post within 2-3 days so this is an exception.

Does anyone have any experience chasing down missing SQM from AMEX?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.