Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nothing "super" about SE status

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2018, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Concierges serve you. They are like butlers. At hotels. That is the traditional use of the word.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concierge

Provide services, yes. Servants, no.

Calling them servants is rather inconsiderate.
Old May 19, 2018, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concierge

Provide services, yes. Servants, no.

Calling them servants is rather inconsiderate.
From your wikipedia article:
The French word concierge is likely derived from the Old French cumcerges, itself related to the Medieval Latin consergius[4] or the Latin conservus ("fellow slave").[5]

Another possibility, suggested by French authors as early as the 19th century, is that "concierge" is a contraction of comte des cierges ("count of candles"), a servant responsible for maintaining the lighting and cleanliness of medieval palaces.[6]

Is it more important to be considerate or accurate?
Old May 20, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
Originally Posted by lallied

Been SE every year since inception. After flipping from BA gold back then. Concierge has always been for me the most appreciated perk. Though not now as personalized as so many SE and so many Concierges. But the original ones are still there ��
Agree. But many of the originals have left - retired, new positions such as manning gates or out on extended sick leave. Several amazing carry overs from Canadian are no longer there
Old May 20, 2018, 7:08 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL

Been SE every year since inception. After flipping from BA gold back then. Concierge has always been for me the most appreciated perk. Though not now as personalized as so many SE and so many Concierges. But some ofthe original ones are still there ��
Seems we are on the cusp of starting a club this year (the 2018 class of 2MMers with pretty continuous SE records).

acysb87 is correct. I have been SE in every year since inception (although it was not technically continuous as I had a few month hiatus due to the SARS crisis when our project in China was temporarily shut down and it took a few months to get my SE status back). I will also be 2MM this year (in a week or so).

I too have a dilemma about whether I will keep at it or start experimenting with other airlines even more than I already am.

AC has been pretty good to me despite the incremental loss of benefits (or as AC calls them "enhancements"). I adapt and go where I think the best value is for me. Have finally got my Aeroplan balance down into the 200,000 range and hope to keep on top of that so it doesn't balloon again. Would like to know where Altitude is going as I have no plans to change my flying amount for the foreseeable future despite my "enhanced" age.
Diabeetus and longtimeflyin like this.
Old May 20, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Seems we are on the cusp of starting a club this year (the 2018 class of 2MMers with pretty continuous SE records).
Will you put a small window in the door of your clubhouse, so that the rest of us can stand outside and peer in?
Old May 20, 2018, 8:57 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
May be we will just crash yyznomad's "bomb" shelter
Old May 20, 2018, 3:55 pm

The ‘ just got- there (2mm) or nearly-there (3mm) ’ club?. As others have pointed out it’s an odd waypoint.
Old May 20, 2018, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

The ‘ just got- there (2mm) or nearly-there (3mm) ’ club?. As others have pointed out it’s an odd waypoint.

I don't think there is anything meant by saying "club" by BB... no different than in the million miler master thread where many people simply say "Welcome to the club" as a figure of speech.
All s/he meant was that roughly 20 years since the merger it's around this time that those who have been SE for a majority of those years since that time period would fall into the 2MM area of AQM.
Old May 20, 2018, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I don't think there is anything meant by saying "club" by BB... no different than in the million miler master thread where many people simply say "Welcome to the club" as a figure of speech.
All s/he meant was that roughly 20 years since the merger it's around this time that those who have been SE for a majority of those years since that time period would fall into the 2MM area of AQM.
Segments are a whole other story as are the revenue dollars that went with those (my)short haul flights. Dollars/mileage or dollars/segments are todays currency for top tier status. Segments/dollars were never carried forward.
Only the mileage
I agree with your "figure of speech" analysis. I would say a" bomb "shelter is not a club
Old May 20, 2018, 4:42 pm

Yes. And I meant it’s an odd / surreal place to be. Too committed to stay at 1mm and flip. And perhaps too far to 3mm.
Old May 20, 2018, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by acysb87
Segments are a whole other story as are the revenue dollars that went with those (my)short haul flights. Dollars/mileage or dollars/segments are todays currency for top tier status. Segments/dollars were never carried forward.
Only the mileage
I agree with your "figure of speech" analysis. I would say a" bomb "shelter is not a club
virtually all mine have been TATL.
Old May 20, 2018, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by acysb87
Only the mileage
The standard response to you from FT would be "it's your fault for living in YSB". Yep, all your faulty fault.
(sorry, I couldn't resist)

Yes. And I meant it’s an odd / surreal place to be. Too committed to stay at 1mm and flip. And perhaps too far to 3mm.

Oh right. Sorry I misunderstood. Yes, I agree as well.
Old May 20, 2018, 5:45 pm

The standard response to you from FT would be "it's your fault for living in YSB". Yep, all your faulty fault.
(sorry, I couldn't resist)

Oh right. Sorry I misunderstood. Yes, I agree as well.

I, however, have been inspired by the resident queen of KK and MRs to hang in for 3mm. @24left
Old May 20, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by YYT82

Agreed, but we all have choices. I chose to nearly eliminate my AQD.
Exactly my course of action.
Just vote with your wallet...
Old May 20, 2018, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

I, however, have been inspired by the resident queen of KK and MRs to hang in for 3mm. @24left

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.