Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nothing "super" about SE status

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
I think this is an important point: While concierges have, at times, offered assistance proactively, it was never a consistent service with 100% infallibility since it relies on highly variable human intervention. .
In previous years, I saw proactive intervention by the concierge whether it was switching my PY Seat at the gate so I didn't have someone next to me, or calling to notify me of a delay later in the day. I have not received a call, or interaction from a concierge in over a year for any sort of proactive action.. While I don't agree with the OP that SE offers no value, that is simply not true objectively, there has been a significant devaluation of the service over the past year that is well documented in another thread.
Old May 17, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
Originally Posted by sram
In previous years, I saw proactive intervention by the concierge whether it was switching my PY Seat at the gate so I didn't have someone next to me, or calling to notify me of a delay later in the day. I have not received a call, or interaction from a concierge in over a year for any sort of proactive action.. While I don't agree with the OP that SE offers no value, that is simply not true objectively, there has been a significant devaluation of the service over the past year that is well documented in another thread.
I think VIPs still receive pro-active service but that is almost non-existant for SEs now
Old May 17, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by Wings100
I think VIPs still receive pro-active service but that is almost non-existant for SEs now
Agreed, but we all have choices. I chose to nearly eliminate my AQD.
Old May 17, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I'm not going to go into details with the preemptive/proactive/solicited/unsolicited service I've received from the concierges, but like many here who will also not post about such things (you know that I know who you are!), I can say that the concierge has come through for me at times that I most needed it. I've posted about a few situations in the past here, but I'll let people dig it out themselves.

I suspect, like all things in nature, it's a probability game. The probability of legitimately requiring Concierge service is proportional to the frequency at which the SE flies. If the SE typically flies ULH TPACs yearly and enough to hit the lower end of the AQM threshold, then their need for concierge service is most likely less. Last year was my highest AC metal volume in years... 300+ flights*. It also happened to be the year in which I experienced the most concierge interaction, most of it being preemptive. Years as SE when flying mainly TATL and TPAC (~150 flights per year), my concierge interaction/requirement was much, much less.

So to the OP, if you've been SE for a short time, or don't fly on AC metal with high frequency, I suspect your need for the concierge would be much less. Is this true?

However, if you expect the concierge to be at your beck and call, feed you grapes while fanning you with palm leaves at the a cabana, then I guess you're right in that the concierge is useless.

* Note that "300+" could mean 1,000. It just simply means "at least 300"!
lallied and DrunkCargo like this.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Wings100
Put a SE and VIP next to each other on a flight, and one will see immediately see that the SE is the "chopped liver".

Every SE needs to go through this at least once in their life. In fact, it should be a new perk offered by AC.

(yes, tongue-in-cheek, but there is some truth to it)
Stranger and ridefar like this.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Put a SE and VIP next to each other on a flight, and one will see immediately see that the SE is the "chopped liver".

Every SE needs to go through this at least once in their life. In fact, it should be a new perk offered by AC.

(yes, tongue-in-cheek, but there is some truth to it)
I think only SEs who think they're Elite have to go through this... it's a discount program.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG

... expect the concierge to be at your beck and call, feed you grapes while fanning you with palm leaves at the a cabana ...
That would be a great addition to the SSL
Old May 17, 2018, 3:57 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Also the thread title kinda brings up a peeve I have... SE may or may not be "super". But it is NOT "elite". No servant-awarded status is. It is a discount program.
You're so wrong about this. SEs are DEFINITELY elite... At spending money with AC!

I can say that the concierge has come through for me at times that I most needed it.
Well, except when they're busy helping other Super Elites...

I suspect, like all things in nature, it's a probability game. The probability of legitimately requiring Concierge service is proportional to the frequency at which the SE flies. If the SE typically flies ULH TPACs yearly and enough to hit the lower end of the AQM threshold, then their need for concierge service is most likely less. [...]

So to the OP, if you've been SE for a short time, or don't fly on AC metal with high frequency, I suspect your need for the concierge would be much less. Is this true?
Very well said.

Last year was my highest AC metal volume in years... 300+ flights*.
No one could possibly fly that much! How dare you!

Ho, if you expect the concierge to be at your beck and call, feed you grapes while fanning you with palm leaves at the a cabana, then I guess you're right in that the concierge is useless.
Very right.
jc94 likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; May 17, 2018 at 4:24 pm
Old May 17, 2018, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by sram
That would be a great addition to the SSL
I do not want to see others eating grapes from airline employees. They will need to build walls.
Old May 17, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: AC SE100K/*G, Nexus
What if they were fed sour grapes? Would you watch then?
DrunkCargo likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Avis President's Club
Disagree with the OP. When sh!t goes sideways, concierge staff is always on top of it (or at the very least incredibly responsive). Close to top of the list always (I will admit, I am SEMM so that puts me ahead of SE). The (even watered down) IKK is better than everyone else. No fuel surcharge is nice too.
DrunkCargo and Diabeetus like this.
Old May 17, 2018, 6:18 pm

However, if you expect the concierge to be at your beck and call, feed you grapes while fanning you with palm leaves at the a cabana, then I guess you're right in that the concierge is useless.
Actually, if they answer the phone, that would be nice.

But I am probably expecting too much.

IMHO, the service as it currently exists is just about next to useless.
Old May 17, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by jc94
If AC has J30, 29 rev pax, 1 eUp and one broken seat the eUp is going back to their original class regardless if they are P25 or SEMM. That is policy that is normally followed I believe. Now that’s extreme, and I doubt J30 is ever 29 rev pax so normally there would be some degree of status ensuring the MM gets their seat and any friends and family go down first..
This absolutely happens. Years ago I flew the YYZ-GVA flight with stop in YUL - 763 equipment. In YYZ, one SEMM upgraded for YYZ-GVA flight. In YUL it was determined that an additional pilot would be required for some reason, which meant that they needed 8K where I was sitting. I was in paid J, and they downgraded the SEMM who was upgraded in YYZ. The agents said he was the only upgrade.
Old May 17, 2018, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by kenlor
What if they were fed sour grapes? Would you watch then?
Well, the SSL isn't limited to Elites of any level... it's limited to J INTL and thus everyone is supposedly entitled to concierge assistance unless an agent decides to (mis?) quote Ben Smith...
Old May 17, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
Concierge service is hit and miss and is raraely proactive.

My worse experience was trip trip to Madrid three years ago through Frankfort from yyz.

was in lounge for six hours before departure, was SE and flying J. Was flying AC and connecting with Lufthansa to get to Madrid. Found out when I landed next morning that Lufthansa was on strike. Concierge in Frankfort never understand why they didn’t put me on one of many other options or give me a choice at least. Since the strike was well known in advance. Ended up getting on various connections to arrive over twelve hours late to Madrid and lost a day there.

when I asked AC how this could happen that no one in Toronto would contact an SE flying in J that there was a strike and there connection is cancelled I got a shrug.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.