Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nothing "super" about SE status

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by YXUhomebase
Concierge service is hit and miss and is raraely proactive.

My worse experience was trip trip to Madrid three years ago through Frankfort from yyz.

was in lounge for six hours before departure, was SE and flying J. Was flying AC and connecting with Lufthansa to get to Madrid. Found out when I landed next morning that Lufthansa was on strike. Concierge in Frankfort never understand why they didn’t put me on one of many other options or give me a choice at least. Since the strike was well known in advance. Ended up getting on various connections to arrive over twelve hours late to Madrid and lost a day there.

when I asked AC how this could happen that no one in Toronto would contact an SE flying in J that there was a strike and there connection is cancelled I got a shrug.
They have concierges at FFT? Does AC even fly there?
Old May 18, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
They have concierges at FFT? Does AC even fly there?
Is that a real place? iI Kentucky?
Old May 18, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by Stranger
Is that a real place? iI Kentucky?
Yes. Frankfort KY is where the Buffalo Trace distillery can be found... the distillery that stocks United Airline's cabins... It's also the capital of KY.

Not a place Supré Élite would be useful...
Old May 18, 2018, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan75K, BASilver
Some of my original peeves stand despite all the valid arguments posed here. Yes, it may be an expectations issue. I do not agree nor I am satisfied with the response that it is just a discount program. My issue primarily is with the big difference in qualification requirements between 75K and SE. I have consciously chosen to fly AC despite the higher prices and poorer service compared to competitors to qualify and the experience since achieving the status has been a let down. If it comes down to the tax/surcharge waivers as being the practical difference between 75K and 100K, I am willing to sacrifice that for a cheaper and better airline (service wise).
Old May 18, 2018, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by smangalam
Some of my original peeves stand despite all the valid arguments posed here. Yes, it may be an expectations issue. I do not agree nor I am satisfied with the response that it is just a discount program. My issue primarily is with the big difference in qualification requirements between 75K and SE. I have consciously chosen to fly AC despite the higher prices and poorer service compared to competitors to qualify and the experience since achieving the status has been a let down. If it comes down to the tax/surcharge waivers as being the practical difference between 75K and 100K, I am willing to sacrifice that for a cheaper and better airline (service wise).
I suspect the "discount program" remarks were made tongue-in-cheek as I did not take it seriously.

Like many of the past, current, and future threads here regarding "is X level status worth it?" and "X level is not worth it!", the OPs involved make their decision on what they believe is of value to them. Approximately 99.8% of OPs don't change their minds when starting their "not worth it" thread.

So for you, if you do not find value even after we have posted our thoughts and opinions on SE, or think it's a ripoff, then hey, you know what you want/don't want, and more power to you on that.

(FWIW, I'm an AC2MM who has been SE for a total of 14 years, and I find being SE very valuable)
tcook052 and karachi like this.
Old May 18, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I have been SE since 2004. The first year I have the same questions as the OP re: value of the concierge.

Over the years, I have found out more and more areas they can help me. The actual ways they can help you - you learn by experience. Nobody can tell you in all the ways they can help you.

:Let me give you a recent example. My wife, I, and 22 daughter just before New Year went from YOW to LAS via a stopover (at family's home).
We went to Concierge to check-in.
They told me that my daughter's passport had expired- when the concierge was checking me in. All 3 of us had missed the fact that her passport had expired about 1.5 months earlier!
So what to do.

All 3 of us went to YVR.
Stayed at family home.
Concierge on Fri (of the New Year's long weekend) around 6 pm called an emergency passport phone number - got a person.
She told concierge that my daughter would be called the next day - and given information where in Greater Vancouver she could get an emergency passport.

My wife and I went through to Las Vegas on Sat. My daughter's Aeroplan ticketed flight to LAS cancelled on Sat Dec 30.

Daughter called while the 2 of us were in mid-flight. Instructions given.

She got the passport on Dec 30 later that day - in Surrey - for a hefty fee (about $450).
So she got the passport almost immediately after she showed up in the Surrey office - with completed documents, credit card, and photos (which she took soon after she received the phone call).

We then re-connected with concierge.
She re-booked the flight for the next day Dec 31 - no change fee,
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
This thread appears to be about whether or not the Concierge is worth it. I think that, like others, I didn't know the value of the Concierge for my first couple of years as a SE. In fact, I think that I didn't even know the service existed in the first year or 2. Fast forward a couple of years and I have truly had many experiences to absolutely appreciate their value.
I suppose my experience could be better than the average SE and that could be the result of a few different factors.

I do find them to be very proactive in irrops, whether weather or mechanical. I also find them to be very helpful when I forget something on a plane, or forget to bring something with me, when on the road.

The Concierge in YEG has given and continues to offer me incredible service and really don't hesitate to assist whenever they see an opportunity.

The Concierge in Vancouver have met me at my inbound and walked me to a tight connection, keeping the outbound gate on the radio, a number of times.

The Concierges in YWG go out of their way to find me and ensure all is good when I am there.

Even in YYZ I have experienced amazing service with tight and canceled connections. I was also met and given VIP treatment, to celebrate a milestone, from an amazing young lady.

Give it time. As they get to know you, the service will improve. Even today the Concierge continues to find ways to absolutely blow me away.
Old May 18, 2018, 8:48 pm

I actually have been SE longer than yyznomad! Wow! I have no regrets about this as I have found the services quite beneficial. The concierge are there when the need arises. They meet me at the gate as the need arises and gives me the alternatives. There was a time when AC wanted to discontinue the concierge services and relented after a lot of us wrote in to protest. Temper your expectations to a realistic level and you will not be disappointed.
Old May 18, 2018, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ac777
I actually have been SE longer than yyznomad! Wow! I
LOL.

I don't think that's hard to do for many here. After all, this is FT. There are always many more who have done X or Y more than someone else!
Old May 19, 2018, 4:04 am

Temper your expectations to a realistic level and you will not be disappointed.
Ok, I will temper my expectations, and hope they answer the phone just 10% of the time.
Old May 19, 2018, 8:09 am

Talking

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Ok, I will temper my expectations, and hope they answer the phone just 10% of the time.
I have never had problems contacting them. I do not have a cell phone, so I call from landlines. Maybe your number shows up when you call and then they say “oh its that In the Air Guy...he can wait!”
Old May 19, 2018, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I actually have been SE longer than yyznomad!
I suspect so did I. Around 2002?
Old May 19, 2018, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect so did I. Around 2002?
Many of us have been SE longer than the yyznomad , but the nomad will be SE3MMer much sooner than most of us.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old May 19, 2018, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by acysb87
Many of us have been SE longer than the yyznomad , but the nomad will be SE3MMer much sooner than most of us.
Quite so. I'll be happy to get to 2MM. Maybe another year or so. Not sure how much longer I'll keep going after that.
Old May 19, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Quite so. I'll be happy to get to 2MM. Maybe another year or so. Not sure how much longer I'll keep going after that.
If MM is 50k, 2MM is 75k and 3MM is SE4Life, and no one cares about 75k, why does 2MM get you hot and bothered? Bragging rights?
longtimeflyin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.