Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada experiencing nationwide network outage 12Mar18

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada experiencing nationwide network outage 12Mar18

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
[QUOTE=24left;29515630][QUOTE=trek604;29515569]Love the 4 Star Airline boarding passes

Jealous. I want one of those.
Off topic but many years ago I use to fly PemAir regularly in the 90s. In YYZ after Canadian was taken over and moved out of Terminal 3, American handled PemAir at YYZ. Check in involved going to the American ticket counter, the agent ripped a blank American boarding pass from the printer, crossed out American and hand wrote the PemAir details. The days of hand written boarding passes.

At least they did not have to do the little stickers with seat numbers.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
delete

Last edited by MasterGeek; Mar 19, 2018 at 2:26 pm Reason: outdated
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
First world problems.

If you expect 100% guaranteed uptime 24x7 in everything you do, then pay a premium price. Oh wait, that just doesn't happen.

Every major airline has had an outage at some point. Sucks for people to be impacted... but guess what? Everyone's in the same boat.

Leave yourself some time margin for error --- or cry when something goes wrong.

IT issues, IROPS, weather, something else, doesn't matter. Crap can happen anytime.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Altitude SE100k AC*MM
YUL lounge out of chairs!!!

On ac783 going to LAX. Delayed 2 hours and the lounge is a zoo!! Standing room only and you need to line up to pee.
AC should consider some kind of compensation for this..
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by boxterturbo
On ac783 going to LAX. Delayed 2 hours and the lounge is a zoo!! Standing room only and you need to line up to pee.
Sounds like a typical Monday morning at the YUL TB MLL
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jazzsax
First world problems.

If you expect 100% guaranteed uptime 24x7 in everything you do, then pay a premium price. Oh wait, that just doesn't happen.

Every major airline has had an outage at some point. Sucks for people to be impacted... but guess what? Everyone's in the same boat.

Leave yourself some time margin for error --- or cry when something goes wrong.

IT issues, IROPS, weather, something else, doesn't matter. Crap can happen anytime.
I think you miss the point here. Second major meltdown for AC in so many months The real question is not so much how it affect travellers (or only indirectly), but the actual cost to AC. Which is likely more than the extro cost to get "100% guaranteed uptime." (Of course never 100%, but 99.999 instead 0f 99.99.)

Especially if you factor in the impact of all the unhappy customers of course. But likely even before that.

I suspect what's really at play here is a combination of wishful thinking during the decision process, saving peanuts because as we all know, accidents only happen to others, not to me, Plus, no one ever got fired if farmimg out to IBM...

Banks have a fairly reliable system. And crap can happen, especially if you save peanuts at the wrong place, but no, it does not happen to every airline. Only those who don't pay IT the attention that it's worth.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Stranger
I think you miss the point here. Second major meltdown for AC in so many months The real question is not so much how it affect travellers (or only indirectly), but the actual cost to AC. Which is likely more than the extro cost to get "100% guaranteed uptime." (Of course never 100%, but 99.999 instead 0f 99.99.)

Especially if you factor in the impact of all the unhappy customers of course. But likely even before that.

I suspect what's really at play here is a combination of wishful thinking during the decision process, saving peanuts because as we all know, accidents only happen to others, not to me, Plus, no one ever got fired if farmimg out to IBM...

Banks have a fairly reliable system. And crap can happen, especially if you save peanuts at the wrong place, but no, it does not happen to every airline. Only those who don't pay IT the attention that it's worth.
Not certain about airlines but most business have an IT spend of around 2-4% of operating. Basically overall IT costs are marginal to most organisations. Impact can be insane (this case is a good example). So under these conditions what do many IT managers do, they focus on saving money instead of up-time, reliability etc. Would love to know what happened in this case.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Lets not forget this delay too .. Air Canada kept customers updated on Twitter throughout the outage. The airline first confirmed it was experiencing an interruption at our customer Contact Centres and aircanada.com, in a tweet around 12 p.m. ET.

And yet, it was on FT 30 mins earlier. Maybe their Twitter intern was in lunch when their entire IT system collapsed.

Saying this has happened to other airlines isnt acceptable in my opinion. Should AC follow other airlines in dragging people off planes?

This is now what we should expect from the top 4* NA airline (or whatever it is). Just my take of course.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
Not certain about airlines but most business have an IT spend of around 2-4% of operating. Basically overall IT costs are marginal to most organisations. Impact can be insane (this case is a good example). So under these conditions what do many IT managers do, they focus on saving money instead of up-time, reliability etc. Would love to know what happened in this case.
In my experience it is because functional managers refer to IT as a cost center so it's the first to receive cuts and less than adequate funding.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Fiordland
i am going to hazard a guess that there was a data centre outage. Probably unplanned power loss or interruption. It is tough to come up with other scenarios that take all apps offline. As appeared to be the case. Of course if there truly is just one app on which all others depend then I could easily be wrong. And they should definitely have a look at their availability plan in that case.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jc94
Lets not forget this delay too .. Air Canada kept customers updated on Twitter throughout the outage. The airline first confirmed it was experiencing an interruption at our customer Contact Centres and aircanada.com, in a tweet around 12 p.m. ET.
Just having call centers and aircanada.com off air would have been relatively minor. Actually happens regularly. Does not stand in the way of airplanes leaving on time (OK, OK...)

Key issue here is that the meltdown affected operations. Which is comparatively much more serious. Cascading delays, cancellations, missed connections on a global scale worldwide.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: AC 35k
I work for a SaaS company and I can tell you if this happened to us like it did to AC, the CIO would have a lot of explaining to do and if it weren't a good one heads would roll. This was not a minor outage. There is no excuse for this kind of catastrophic failure in a company this size.
jc94 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by rotatev2
In my experience it is because functional managers refer to IT as a cost center so it's the first to receive cuts and less than adequate funding.
IT IS a cost center. Its one you ignore at your peril in this day and age.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
I work for a SaaS company and I can tell you if this happened to us like it did to AC, the CIO would have a lot of explaining to do and if it weren't a good one heads would roll. This was not a minor outage. There is no excuse for this kind of catastrophic failure in a company this size.
Google, Amazon, and SalesForce have all had similar outages in the last 2 or 3 years. You arent wrong but it isnt like it never happens.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar

Google, Amazon, and SalesForce have all had similar outages in the last 2 or 3 years. You arent wrong but it isnt like it never happens.
How did these companies react to the issue and deal with the fallout? And no Im not being sarcastic I really dont know. But I suspect, better than AC.

ACs issues is often not that stuff happens, its their reaction when things do that irritates me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.