Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada experiencing nationwide network outage 12Mar18

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada experiencing nationwide network outage 12Mar18

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
The mind boggles at how long this is going on for. Wasn't the last AC crash during another peak season, maybe their systems just can't handle the traffic.

This is why we need EU style rules, force the airline to fix it or pay for it. And I know all the counter arguments about prices increasing (despite the fact they're already higher) and limited population etc...
I suspect this latest bit is that kicking over to the redundant backup - if that is what they did -- was never fully tested, and so they are kicking out the bugs as they transition. Things like certificates, verification, interaction between multiple components all of which are tough to really test in a backup environment.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Infrastructure types would like you to believe that DR is a matter of storage synchronization, rebooting, and network route changes. Which might have been true of single applications running on single mini or mainframe servers. Client/server, let alone Internet style services orchestrating dozens or hundreds of things?

Ha!

Its virtually impossible without deep architectural changes and checking assumptions. One doesn't build DR on top of a data center. One builds DR deep into the bones of applications.

If you aren't up to the tasks of turning loose chaos monkey and chaos gorilla on your production servers at any time you don't have application redundancy.

Air Canada takes 4 hours to update their website.
knotseh likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by andrewBC
The likelihood of a data centre outage - in terms of power, cooling, or connectivity - is so absurdly low it doesn't register.
As it turns out about a year ago there was an outage at a data centre in Victoria that houses some of our system (not related to aviation in any way). The same data center also houses some provincial government ministry systems, federal government systems and some banking systems. BC Hydro was doing scheduled work on AC mains, the maintenance company that looks after the emergency generators left the generators in the wrong mode and they did not fire up as planned. This still happened with all the redundancy and diverse backup power systems. In a QA oriented environment people get trained to be systematic, so when you have human error it occurs systematically across all the generators.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by ridefar
And yet that was thee cause of the last 2 DL outages. And at least 1/3 if the outages I am familiar with. It is definitely not “absurdly “ low. People do dumb .... all the time. There are lots of ways to offline an entire DC.
If one of our data centers goes down, we have failover.

Originally Posted by jc94
Some companies actually employ staff to go around turning things off randomly and checking the redundancies work.

Complete loss of an entire location, should also have a redundancy. Like a secondary location. And a plan to bring the primary one up again. UPS isn’t new tech.
We turn off each data center once yearly to make sure the failover happen properly. Obviously we schedule these tests at appropriate times to avoid disruptions.
​​​​​​​
Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: AC SE
My spouse was delayed and stuck at YYC sitting around the airport for ~ 5 hours this past week due to a cancelled flight from the IT meltdown. A passenger from the same flight asked the agent at the lounge desk in YYC for a meal voucher, as it was a lengthy delay. The lounge agent answered in a condescending tone that there were no meal vouchers allowed, as this was an uncontrollable delay, because all flights were delayed, so it was equivalent to weather related IRROPS or an act of God.

I'm sure it was a tough day for staff, but making up stuff about it not being within the airline's control and refusing to offer a meal voucher for a 5+ hour controllable delay doesn't really help AC's reputation in dealing with these sort of things.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by gcashin
My spouse was delayed and stuck at YYC sitting around the airport for ~ 5 hours this past week due to a cancelled flight from the IT meltdown. A passenger from the same flight asked the agent at the lounge desk in YYC for a meal voucher, as it was a lengthy delay. The lounge agent answered in a condescending tone that there were no meal vouchers allowed, as this was an uncontrollable delay, because all flights were delayed, so it was equivalent to weather related IRROPS or an act of God.

I'm sure it was a tough day for staff, but making up stuff about it not being within the airline's control and refusing to offer a meal voucher for a 5+ hour controllable delay doesn't really help AC's reputation in dealing with these sort of things.
(bolding mine)

Ah yes....
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...-re-wrong.html
Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Obviously people act with computers as them being some god. As other things such as thunder which they don't understand.

Still, my bet would be that the agent made that rule on the spot.

If you feel you might need a 10% discount code, you know what to do, right?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by 24left
Thanks for digging that up! Yes, I was originally going to post it there, but couldn't find it via FT search even with typing in pretty much the exact subject line! And this was an agent with a "Premium Agent" nametag too.

Originally Posted by Stranger
Obviously people act with computers as them being some god. As other things such as thunder which they don't understand.

Still, my bet would be that the agent made that rule on the spot.

If you feel you might need a 10% discount code, you know what to do, right?
Yes, all very true!
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Thanks for digging that up! Yes, I was originally going to post it there, but couldn't find it via FT search even with typing in pretty much the exact subject line! And this was an agent with a "Premium Agent" nametag too.
A Premium Agent working the YYC MLL desk causing issues? Say it ain't so... More attitude from YYC MLL staff
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Perhaps RES III is also used to issue meal, hotel, and taxi vouchers? When RES III went down, AC stopped operating.

At least their payroll system isn't tied in to RES III. Or is it?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Are people getting compensations from Air Canada due to the delays caused by the outage. Delta proactively offered $200 vouchers to anyone affected for a similar case in 2016.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.