Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Introducing Air Canada Basic Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Introducing Air Canada Basic Economy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
AC might be clever for their own good in thinking they can get more more when they could actually get less.
Not really.

Corporate policy today is I must book lowest fare for business travel - So today I'm booking Tango.

My prediction is AC will price these "basic" fares same as Tango is priced today - So no loss of revenue, as I'll have to book the Basic fare.

...biggest potential revenue loss is I'll likely just say "Another trip to Halifax in Basic? Naw. I'll just do it by Webex instead."

With zero earnings of anything I'll just not go in the first place - So no ticket purchased at all. Bean-counters will like that even more.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Originally Posted by gglave
Not really.

Corporate policy today is I must book lowest fare for business travel - So today I'm booking Tango.

My prediction is AC will price these "basic" fares same as Tango is priced today - So no loss of revenue, as I'll have to book the Basic fare.

...biggest potential revenue loss is I'll likely just say "Another trip to Halifax in Basic? Naw. I'll just do it by Webex instead."

With zero earnings of anything I'll just not go in the first place - So no ticket purchased at all. Bean-counters will like that even more.
Umm ... doesn't that make Sunny Day right?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
Won't work for me. The beancounters in accounting will calculate that even if 1 out of 8 tickets is thrown away completely we'll still be ahead of the game with these fares and will tell me to book them.
Most of our flights are allocated to clients, either as part of a flat fee structure (so they never see our expenses, but they come out of a pot of money), or billed directly. As long as they don't start cracking down on expenses and bring in expense chaos, it will be ok.

But I mean, I get my status through segments, like a chump. Forced into basic economy for 50+ segments per year would be enough for me to reconsider my employment relationship
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by jc94
Given the age of ACs fleet I fear we’ll have the E190 and others for many years to come however. But perhaps some hope is good.
By the end of 2019, half of them will be gone. They will be replaced by the CS300s as soon as possible. They are getting rid of them before the CS300 replacements are even ready. I quite like the E-Jets, I'll miss 'em.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by marke190
Will status benefits still be exercisable when travelling on these fares?
If you assert your status, you can exercise anything.

(classic image from Dorian)
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:17 pm
Original Member

Well that took a lot longer than I thought it would.

I don't really care about it.

And even if I did care about it, I wouldn't care about it.

The Mexican Hat Dance was in part doable because in an effort to extract every last penny from every last passenger airlines made their fare rules and fare structures so complex even they didn't understand them. When airlines started to rationalize fares in the mid-2000s I predicted it would not be long until they started down that road again. It took longer than I thought it would, but it seems they are again on that path. I imagine the more creative and clever will find ways to use this to their advantage.

The only difference is they won't announce it publicly.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Arcanum
If they can make an extra dollar upselling someone in BE with a Bid or LMU, I'm sure they'll find a way.
I don’t see it. If AC start allowing LMUs and Bids from BE it’ll encourage more people to
buy it. Oh okay maybe. If they were to allow offers, I suspect the additional cost would be obscene. I do wonder about legal repercussions, I bought full Tango so I could LMU and then found it was changed so I would have booked BE? Not that waking a that line is something AC steer clear of; EYW wifi anyone?

Won't work for me. The beancounters in accounting will calculate that even if 1 out of 8 tickets is thrown away completely we'll still be ahead of the game with these fares and will tell me to book them.
This is typical. Just book all flights a week out Firms with beancounters tend to, in my opinion, be shortsighted enough to never advance book travel. Like my friend who flew TATL Y for twice the cost of TATL PY because bean counters wanted ticket bought Jan 2018 instead of Dec 2017. For travel in Jan ‘18.
Originally Posted by Fiordland
The problem is going to be these passengers are in the last boarding group. Do you want agents trying to process credit card transactions at that point in the process. As a passenger I would rather they get the aircraft door closed and up and away as quickly as possible.

I assume like you it’s Z5 guaranteed.
Or a new zone 6. Or perhaps it’s Z3 if you buy a preferred seat, if you can .. I assume you refer to other airlines policy of charging for baggage at gate, I don’t see any mention of this within BE. There are still unanswered questions here. The mere fact it took the bloggers a day to get a hold of it (VFTW from FT I suspect) indicates it was not a well planned release.

Nor one that went through QC for typos (now fixed) or flawed data, like saying up to 50% for Tango on a page that says Canada only.

In addition, if these fares are available now, then has anyone found one? OMAAT reports “including the ability to select economy seats at no charge.” For status pax. Well that’s wrong no? Even for non preferred seats AC says “Seat selection fees may apply with some fares.”. And only SE get free preferred seats... on Tango.

Is the ability to eUp from Tango with a copay now permanent rather than an offer extended for the 9th time?

Last edited by jc94; Feb 21, 2018 at 9:43 pm
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
Firms with beancounters tend to, in my opinion, be shortsighted enough to never advance book travel. Like my friend who flew TATL Y for twice the cost of TATL PY because bean counters wanted ticket bought Jan 2018 instead of Dec 2017. For travel in Jan ‘18.
Not my beancounters. If you fail to book (Tango) tickets as soon as your trip is confirmed (in order to maximize advance booking discounts) then they'll expect an explanation.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:55 pm

Not my beancounters. If you fail to book (Tango) tickets as soon as your trip is confirmed (in order to maximize advance booking discounts) then they'll expect an explanation.
Tango was sold out when my boss rang me up at 3pm Friday telling me he wanted me in Chicago Monday.

His name is X. Go speak to him. There’s a $200 cancellation fee.

Okay I’m being somewhat glib (though the first half of that did happen) and Tango is now often available at short notice if the flight isn’t busy, but I would seriously say this if I was queried. Fortunately I just phone the TA or an EA and give em dates and that I’m not routing around the entire continent to save $50.

Anyhow they book whatever. Hopefully that won’t be BE.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by AC681
There are 5 ex-Sky Regional and 5 ex-Republic Q400s, 9 of them have small overhead bins, one (498) has the larger bins.

The ex-Sky Regional planes are 74 seats with dark blue seats morm like tge Dash 8 100/300. The ex-republic planes are 78 seats with a slightly different dark blue seat simalar to the Q400s (no coat hooks on the side though )
Sounds like you are a Q400 warrior!

Not really.

I love my webex meetings, as much fun as I enjoyed flying, I am much happier being home with the family as opposed to darting everywhere.

I am sure the next recession will be very hard on Airlines as businesses switch to Web meetings more and more .
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Sounds like you are a Q400 warrior!

I love my webex meetings, as much fun as I enjoyed flying, I am much happier being home with the family as opposed to darting everywhere.

I am sure the next recession will be very hard on Airlines as businesses switch to Web meetings more and more .
I think it is a mixed bag. I also love join.me. What I have noticed over the last couple of years, is as the technology improves there are more people working from home. That is step one. Once you have more people working from home, step two in the evolution is they don't need to be in the same city anymore. It is a completely different dynamic. It probably is creating as much new travel as it is displacing.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cranky Flyer likes Economy Basic.....

Air Canada?s Basic Economy Introduction Shows How a Even a Slightly Smoother Booking Process Makes A Big Difference | Cranky Flier
Old Feb 22, 2018, 6:40 am

Has this guy flown with AC? I was wondering if held flown AC Y in Zone 5 until I read the article including this gem “That’s primarily because Air Canada has spent years focused on improving the booking process on its website. If only others could take a hint.”

Yeah ACs website is awesome. When it actually works.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by quantumofforce

Even though my travel was and is 100% economy class, I enjoy travelling for business - I enjoy seeing different cities, meeting different cultures. I enjoy getting caught up on a superhero movie on a transcon that I haven't been able to watch due to family pressures at home. I enjoy meeting clients face-to-face.

I enjoy the perks that came with business travel - Booking rewards tickets, taking my family into the lounge, boarding in the priority lines.

But if the experience of travel becomes so miserable and those perks disappear, well then I'll just do the webex things.
ffsim and quantumofforce like this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
Even though my travel was and is 100% economy class, I enjoy travelling for business - I enjoy seeing different cities, meeting different cultures. I enjoy getting caught up on a superhero movie on a transcon that I haven't been able to watch due to family pressures at home. I enjoy meeting clients face-to-face.

I enjoy the perks that came with business travel - Booking rewards tickets, taking my family into the lounge, boarding in the priority lines.

But if the experience of travel becomes so miserable and those perks disappear, well then I'll just do the webex things.
This is me, exactly. Even when I'm sent somewhere not great, I have fun with it. I also find that my client relationships are stronger when I'm face to face as opposed to a voice speaking over a phone or through video conference. Humans are generally social creatures - technology is great (and I say that as a tech strategy consultant), but it's not always enough. You can miss out on a lot without the spontaneous interactions that occur when you're on site.
quantumofforce likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.