Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Introducing Air Canada Basic Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Introducing Air Canada Basic Economy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2023, 6:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan;KLM;UA
Hi all - a couple of basic questions for economy basic, YYZ - AMS:
1.Am I allowed one carryon PLUS a personal item? Or just a carryon with no personal item? AC specifies "1 free carry-on", but it also says that for regular economy, which I know is a standard carryon + personal item.

2. Can I select a seat for free at OLCI, or do I have to take whatever seat AC assigns me?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by JeffersonCampervan; Nov 16, 2023 at 6:55 pm
Old Nov 16, 2023, 8:07 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE, Bonvoy Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by JeffersonCampervan
Hi all - a couple of basic questions for economy basic, YYZ - AMS:
1.Am I allowed one carryon PLUS a personal item? Or just a carryon with no personal item? AC specifies "1 free carry-on", but it also says that for regular economy, which I know is a standard carryon + personal item.

2. Can I select a seat for free at OLCI, or do I have to take whatever seat AC assigns me?
One carry-on item + one personal item is the rule for all tickets. This is one of those details that sets Air Canada apart from true budget airlines -- the cheapest ticket includes carry-on.

As for seat selection, again, all tickets can choose seats at check-in for free.
Check-in opens 24 hours before departure time.... if you've got your eye on particular seats, check in right at the 24 hour point. It'll help you maximize the chances of getting what you want.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by JeffersonCampervan

Thanks in advance.
There have been many stories of people with basic fares getting standby when they OLCI. SO be sharp, check in right at 24 hours, minimise that chance. Of course, if you do not get to board, they do owe you $$$.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 7:36 am

Programs: EB Diamond (SK*G), Accor Platinum
Hi! I am a *G passenger and bought a basic economy Air Canada ticket. I know AC gives me one free check-in bag but the problem is my first leg is SWISS.

When I bought my ticket from United, even though United basic eco gives me one free check-in baggage, Lufthansa group always ignored it. I don't know if it's also the same for this SWISS leg on Air Canada ticket (all the other international legs are AC).

At least I could see the status on AC website states I have one free check-in baggage for the whole journey but I am afraid if it's not the case with SWISS. Is there anybody who had the same situation?
Old Apr 24, 2024, 2:52 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond (SK); Hilton Diamond + few others
Originally Posted by LaziestRaccoon
Hi! I am a *G passenger and bought a basic economy Air Canada ticket. I know AC gives me one free check-in bag but the problem is my first leg is SWISS.

When I bought my ticket from United, even though United basic eco gives me one free check-in baggage, Lufthansa group always ignored it. I don't know if it's also the same for this SWISS leg on Air Canada ticket (all the other international legs are AC).

At least I could see the status on AC website states I have one free check-in baggage for the whole journey but I am afraid if it's not the case with SWISS. Is there anybody who had the same situation?
Seeking this info as well. I'm afraid that Air Canada has the same policy as LH and they don't give 1st checked bag free anymore if you are on a Basic Economy ticket (regardless of Star Gold status with partners). It would be great if someone could clarify or confirm. Thx.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by EBGflyer
Seeking this info as well. I'm afraid that Air Canada has the same policy as LH and they don't give 1st checked bag free anymore if you are on a Basic Economy ticket (regardless of Star Gold status with partners). It would be great if someone could clarify or confirm. Thx.
It's not AC it's LH/LX. If you go to the *A website you will see that certain fares for this group (LX) are excluded from the *Gold baggage allowances. Since your first flight is with them it will likely be an issue. I admit I don't have any experience on this issue, I'm just aware of the policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.