Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Introducing Air Canada Basic Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Introducing Air Canada Basic Economy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:11 am

Has anyone had any success with changes to Economy - BAsic fares? I know the rules say no changes...but do they allow any leyway?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by llbean
Has anyone had any success with changes to Economy - BAsic fares? I know the rules say no changes...but do they allow any leyway?
What leeway are you interested in? Are you SE?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:18 am

Date change...it is for an earlier departure
I am SE but it is for my mom
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by llbean
Date change...it is for an earlier departure
I am SE but it is for my mom
Yeah I dunno... for yourself on a Economy Basic I'd say 50/50 at best if talking to a concierge... but for someone else, even if it's your mom... all I have to say is good luck!
I'm batting around .500 on Flex fare changes with the concierge. I've never tried with legacy Tango (Standard) or the new even lower Basic.

But there are some SEs here who probably have a better record than me.

Please do report back
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Well parents are booking next years Canada trip on TS because when you include a bag and seat it’s cheaper then AC Basic + bag + seat.

I wonder how many others will choose this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jc94
Well parents are booking next years Canada trip on TS because when you include a bag and seat it’s cheaper then AC Basic + bag + seat.

If I didn't have any status with AC, I probably would as well.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:21 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Always double check your bookings. I'd made YEG-LHR RT in PY outbound / Standard inbound. When checking my booking a few days ago, I noticed it said the return was in Basic even though my receipt said Standard. A FB message to AC yielded the request that I call them. The first agent said that it was supposed to be a basic fare, and I would have to call back the next day to speak to a lead to get this corrected. The next day, the agent just put in a request for a lead to call me (and apparently the first agent could've done that too), and they fixed it without my having to send in anything. Still, it could've been pretty annoying at the airport
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pewpew
Always double check your bookings. I'd made YEG-LHR RT in PY outbound / Standard inbound. When checking my booking a few days ago, I noticed it said the return was in Basic even though my receipt said Standard. A FB message to AC yielded the request that I call them. The first agent said that it was supposed to be a basic fare, and I would have to call back the next day to speak to a lead to get this corrected. The next day, the agent just put in a request for a lead to call me (and apparently the first agent could've done that too), and they fixed it without my having to send in anything. Still, it could've been pretty annoying at the airport
What was the original fare basis for the return? I no longer look at the words "Standard" "Flex" "Basic" etc. anymore as I can't trust them. I just look at the fare basis so I know without a doubt what I have.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:36 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jc94

I would say a few, but AC most likely does not care. There business model doesn't always work for the low end flyer. In life or business, cheaper is not always better. Plus, TS has a lower operating cost structure than AC, so maybe they can make money at a X fare and AC can not.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:39 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yyznomad
If I didn't have any status with AC, I probably would as well.
Does status work/count when on basic fare?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5mm
Does status work/count when on basic fare?
Yes, status still works with a Basic fare.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
AC basic fare vs expedia question

I look for the cheapest YVR-YEG flights. Occasionally paid extra for flex when wanted AQM.
When purchasing the basic fare, I rarely use eups as its too costly (4eups +copay).

The price on expedia is very comparable to AC basic fare, and always cheaper than flex. However, the ticket class is always in upper flex, and I constantly only need 2 eups and no copay to get to business, which has worked almost all the time as this is a low demand route.

Is this normal, is this expected to last longer term (or will expedia in the future be expected to only get basic fare buckets)?

Last edited by YVRYEGYVR; Nov 17, 2018 at 12:05 am
Old Nov 17, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
AC basic fare vs expedia question

I look for the cheapest YVR-YEG flights. Occasionally paid extra for flex when wanted AQM.
When purchasing the basic fare, I rarely use eups as its too costly (4eups +copay).

The price on expedia is very comparable to AC basic fare, and always cheaper than flex. However, the ticket class is always in upper flex, and I constantly only need 2 eups and no copay to get to business, which has worked almost all the time as this is a low demand route.

Is this normal, is this expected to last longer term (or will expedia in the future be expected to only get basic fare buckets)?
Are you sure you’re purchasing a Basic fare? eUpgrades are not permitted on Economy Basic fares.

Sounds like a branded fare issue with Expedia.

canadiancow and jc94 like this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Originally Posted by ChrisA330

Are you sure you’re purchasing a Basic fare? eUpgrades are not permitted on Economy Basic fares.

Sounds like a branded fare issue with Expedia.

ya you are right. I meant standard, old tango. Forgot they introduced something even lower.
Mods delete the post prn, but my question about expedia offerring higher fare buckets than AC for the same price remains
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by 5mm
I would say a few, but AC most likely does not care. There business model doesn't always work for the low end flyer. In life or business, cheaper is not always better. Plus, TS has a lower operating cost structure than AC, so maybe they can make money at a X fare and AC can not.
I am looking at LIS for next summer vacations with the family and may well end up on TS. And that is despite trying to apply a 20% discount code and a $200 voucher on AC’s fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.