Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
Originally Posted by smallmj
Any chance of telecommuting and living in rural/small town Nova Scotia? I know someone (not me) who is trying to sell a house in Springhill. It's beautiful inside, though at $139,900 it is one of the most expensive houses in that town.

The difference in housing prices across this country never ceases to amaze me. I guess it costs a lot more to buy a place where people actually want to live. Good job opportunities help too.
I was eyeing a house for $24,000 in Springhill. Bottom of Junction road, two bedrooms, looked clean enough.

This is why when people freak out about me not being on the property ladder I’m not worried. Unless something major changes, I probably won’t want to retire downtown Toronto....
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by smallmj
Doesn't pewpew still live in Europe. I was amazed how much cheaper groceries were when I was in the Netherlands a couple of years ago.
I haven’t done a huge amount of grocery shopping in recent years to compare but my recollections at least if the UK are that prices are pretty consistent, though it depends upon the goods - some cheaper, some more. Of course the key is exchange rate, I find a 2:1 against the £ to be more accurate than the current actual rate.

Apples esepcially more expensive brands like say pink ladies seem cheaper here, milk is many times more expensive. But it also lasts, cheap milk in the UK is done by its best before date - but it goes for about 70p ($1.20-1.40) a litre.

I lived on ~$20 a week groceries at University. But that was about 15 years ago. And I defninitely spent more then 60c on my evening meal.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
What is it u r eating bro.
Key word is per serving. I can make 4-6 servings in one go, so it's actually closer to €2.4 each time I cook. When I first moved here, I made a friend who's Indian, and he showed me how to make Indian food -- cheaply . It's certainly better than all the pasta I'd been eating in the past
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
6 grandmother's, apparently flying to see themselves, just took 5 minutes to sort themselves out in row 12, blocking the last 30 PAX.

Im kinda curious how snarky ops guy is going to write this up for EF.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:25 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
5 of the 6 have bags under their knees at the bulkhead.

Forgot about me making the INTL MLL.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by meagicano
I was eyeing a house for $24,000 in Springhill. Bottom of Junction road, two bedrooms, looked clean enough.

This is why when people freak out about me not being on the property ladder I’m not worried. Unless something major changes, I probably won’t want to retire downtown Toronto....
The 20k-30k houses often have major structural issues. The 60k houses usually need cosmetic renovations. The 100k houses are usually perfect. Don't buy a cheap one without a really good inspection.

Actually, if you are looking to retire in this area, I would strongly suggest Sackville, NB. That is where my wife and I plan to end up. It is a university town, so there is a much more vibrant cultural community. Housing is still dirt cheap compared to major centres, just not as laughably cheap as Springhill.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: FOTSG
Originally Posted by rangerns
6 grandmother's, apparently flying to see themselves, just took 5 minutes to sort themselves out in row 12, blocking the last 30 pax.

Im kinda curious how snarky ops guy is going to write this up for ef.
flt dlyd due onbd confusion//bluehair trvl

EDIT: That's supposed to be in all caps, but I guess FT doesn't like that...
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:52 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by RangerNS
6 grandmother's, apparently flying to see themselves ....
Well played sir - You just made my morning.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Dat Cup
Me want
The Zone 1 mug was one of the exclusive & awesome @Dorian gifts from a YVR Do in May 2015.
jc94 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Looks like it's time for me to come home -- I got into medicine
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by pewpew
Congrats!!! Great news ^
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
​​​​​​Congrats!!!!!!

what about dat MBB interview?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Congrats where will you be studying medicine pewpew?

I'm on the other end of the spectrum, finished all my board exams recently. Its a long journey - 12yrs (MD, Surgical specialty, MSc, surgical subspecialty).

I miss med school- best time of your life. Enjoy it!
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
@pewpew

quantumofforce likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Over the last few weeks, I've had the misfortune of having a root canal followed by a crown on the same tooth. Without insurance this would all cost about $2,500.

Young FTers, floss your teeth!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.