Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by rkaiulani
Unfortunately I booked in December. Traveling with a group and AC is who they went with. I’ve been following this thread for about a month and have the roundel reset and comp form info. I live in Hawaii and I don’t use AC at all outside of this trip. So AC’s compensation for future flights won’t do anything for me. I am traveling in September, so I have time and am hoping AC gets on those seat repairs. I’ll keep checking the forums for updates. Thanks for answering my question. ����
I have taken 2 dozen+ flights in the pods and only had two seat issues*. Your odds are pretty good. Don't stress.

* Don't get me wrong; that's still 2 too many.

Last edited by WaytoomuchEurope; Apr 4, 2019 at 4:14 pm Reason: Changed quantity to be more factual
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lcohen999
How was 'ol 34.
Completely off-topic, but I'm embarking on AC33/34 for the third time in the last four weeks. First flight was deflated both directions, second flight was good (though tail end of 34 it was starting to get squishy), tonight is third flight (AC33) so we shall see.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 30, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by skybluesea
You post is right on topic...was deflate on long leg to AUS or short leg to YYZ/YVR?

You OK then with 50% error rate?

I cannot think of any product or service in my adult life (4 decades worth) that I have ever experienced, let alone tolerate, such a failure rate.

Fortunately, only one failure on few hundred thousand miles in pods, but as above, one too many...
Serious question, don’t take this the wrong way because I agree with most of what you’ve posted but if AC were actually compensating people reasonably say PY-J $ difference or a full refund (hahaha) instead of these token $300-$1k amounts would you be happier?

I’d be pretty peeved if it happened to me (one but by no means the only reason I’ve not flown AC J of late) however a $4k cheque would soften the blow.

Of course say I was flying YYZ BOM on a pancake and then the credit card used (ie work) got a $4k credit, well I would be less happy.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:23 am
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 30, 2020 at 9:53 pm
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Only reason it has taken this long as customers are willing to take crumbs so why hurry with the fix...
Please provide any evidence to support your position.

The only "public" statement from AC is that they're awaiting regulatory approval, which is the "only reason it has taken this long".
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow

The only "public" statement from AC is that they're awaiting regulatory approval, which is the "only reason it has taken this long".
AC33 was deflated today and SD asked me what communique had been coming from AC Corporate on this topic. All I could reference was the info I was given in March.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:58 pm
Suspended

delete

Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Fourth, let's not forget, NOTHING STOPS AC FROM REMOVING THOSE SEATS THAT ROUTINELY FAIL FROM THE SALE INVENTORY (or at least NOT sell 5-10% of seats to move affected passengers )- so for AC to blame regulators is making excuses for themselves, and then we have customers willing to accept such excuses for whatever motivation suits them. Of course, I'm not so naive to believe that AC will do the right thing for customers, although certainly doing the right thing for the shareholders, at least in the short term.
It's a 15 minute process to fix a broken seat, so there shouldn't be any seats "that routinely fail" if they're being reported correctly. Blocking them from inventory would take longer than fixing them (with another poorly-designed bladder, but at least it would rectify the immediate problem).

Blocking some percent of seats is interesting, but:

1. When do you unblock them? Ever? Or do you let the flight depart with empties? What if you have someone top of the upgrade list who would rather have a deflated J seat than a functional Y/PY seat? While I'd probably take a working PY seat over a deflated J seat on YUL-YYZ, I don't think the same is true for MUC-YYZ.

2. My TPE-YVR had at least 3 seats deflated. I can't remember the aircraft type, but this was 3/5 in our group. As I believe I stated in the opening post in this thread, the bigger issue is that most people aren't aware of the issue, even when they're experiencing it. So having an open seat might rectify the issue for all us FTers, but it won't help the people who have no idea what it's supposed to feel like.
canopus27 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
1. When do you unblock them? Ever? Or do you let the flight depart with empties? What if you have someone top of the upgrade list who would rather have a deflated J seat than a functional Y/PY seat? While I'd probably take a working PY seat over a deflated J seat on YUL-YYZ, I don't think the same is true for MUC-YYZ.
... especially if I have my own air mattress with me

I'm flying YYZ-FCO this weekend. If AC come up to me before the flight and say that "your seat is deflated, so we're going to refund your e-ups and move you back to Y" .... I'm going to decline that "refund" offer and happily take my pancake seat in J - with some proper food, some reasonable wine, some decent space, and a place to sleep with my inflated mattress underneath me.

I don't want to come across as minimizing the downside of a deflated seat. I'm just observing that:
Inflated J seat > deflated J seat > normal Y seat
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:47 pm
Suspended

delete
canopus27 and jc94 like this.

Old Apr 6, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton

And you accept the airline statement at face value? For someone who is pretty quick to challenge the airline when you feel you have been mistreated, I am surprised that you are so trusting. The issue isn't simply one of regulatory approval as there is an existing APPROVED solution and that is the use of seat mattresses. All fabric and materials used in aircraft related products requires fire rating certification and the fabric fibres and mattress material is already found onboard aircraft in the seats, carpets and cushions.

Transport Canada has fast track procedures to address urgent issues and the two years+ delay is far beyond what could be reasonably expected for a simple onboard issue. I believe that AC misjudged the extent of the defect and that the seat supplier and airline had an extensive period of going back and forth on the issue in respect to paying for the cost of repair and compensation to customers. This would also involve the seat supplier product liability insurer(s). Because this is aviation related, it falls under the purview of the aircraft liability insurers who are predominately London and Bermuda based. Overall, the aviation insurance market is difficult now. The Lloyds market has become particularly nasty in the past year. Even in good years, Lloyds syndicates can be difficult when making a claim. I would expect that there is a dispute over coverage too as the product liability may not fully address a design error and omission. The manufacturer would have needed manufacturer's E&O coverage. It's an expensive coverage and big limits are not easily placed. The point being that the "fix" may not have been agreed upon until it was decided or agreed upon as to who was paying. This aspect of the issue may not even be resolved. However, I do not see AC simply giving $1000 compensation unless it was certain that the cost could be charged back. As wonderful as Calin and Company are, the airline isn't a benevolent fund.
For reference sake, I draw your attention to the most recent crisis of Takata airbags in multiple vehicle models. Despite vehicles manufactured as far back as 2000 having the defect, most of the vehicle recalls started in 2018. The number of repairs was so overwhelming that car dealers had to delay the fix. The defective aircraft seat issue may be much more extensive than we are aware of, and the airline must find a way to pull aircraft from service to fix the issue with a minimum of disruption. The loss of the 737 Max aircraft hasn't helped the capacity exposure either.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:14 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

So, net of coupon, would you say you got what you paid for, discomfort and all?

If no, will you accept unilateral offer from AC? - trust you are well versed in contract law and thus might you challenge AC on basis that mid-flight you cannot withdraw from the contract as mitigation on your part. And the Aeronautics Act creates a huge power imbalance in favour of AC.

Of course, AC shareholders are most happy for discomforted travelers to accept the crumbs they offer.
How, exactly, to determine whether one got what one paid for? AC got me to my destination; both of my deflated flights were early, in fact. Food and wine were mediocre, but same as always. The first time I had a deflated seat, the SD was great about it (well, she was great at everything), so service was good on that flight. No issues with baggage delivery. IFE worked. And so on...

It's interesting to me that AC seems to have set the compensation formula pretty purely on distance. I suppose it's a simple and consistent way to do it, but the level to which I'm aggrieved, and feel that compensation is owed, is probably also heavily dependent on (a) how much of the seat was deflated, (b) whether I was trying to sleep, and (c) how much I paid.

In that sense, the $500 I got for YYC-FRA a few months ago felt like it might be too little - rather than the solid 4-5 hours of sleep I usually get on those flights, I mostly got tossing and turning. The whole seat was pancaked, which was extremely uncomfortable for my whole body. I actually moved from my seat to another deflated seat that had been blocked pre-flight because it was deflated, but it was less deflated than mine (and would hold air after a reset much longer). It was still fully deflated and crappy, just less awful. $500 didn't feel like a lot. Slightly offsetting that, it was a fairly cheap P fare, so $500 actually would have represented most of the fare difference between Standard and Business (pro-rated by mileage for that segment) when I bought it, so AC could argue it was reasonable.

On 34 the other day, it was only the upper lumbar, so my butt and lower back were mostly okay. Discomfort was mostly isolated to upper back/shoulders. And with 11:10AM departure, I probably wasn't going to try to sleep, even though it's a long flight. So my inconvenience was significantly less. The ticket was much more expensive, but I'm not too unhappy with the $1000. I would have rather just had a seat that worked the whole time, of course.

So, overall, I would say that AC has given me enough compensation that it hasn't felt like it would be worth my while to try to fight them for more. And, relative to the ticket prices, neither of those amounts were "crumbs". Now, had I been flying YYC-LHR last-minute on an $8000 fare and had a deflated seat, perhaps $500 would have been "crumbs". But not in the times I've had it.

The thing that bothers me more than the quantity is the form of compensation. I'm already having trouble figuring out how to use all of these stupid codes, and I haven't even had that many problems. At some point, I would probably want hard dollars back rather than future travel credit.

My TPE-YVR had at least 3 seats deflated. I can't remember the aircraft type, but this was 3/5 in our group. As I believe I stated in the opening post in this thread, the bigger issue is that most people aren't aware of the issue, even when they're experiencing it. So having an open seat might rectify the issue for all us FTers, but it won't help the people who have no idea what it's supposed to feel like.
That's a 789, so minimum 10% of the J cabin. Agree with the other point though - in hindsight, I'm quite certain that I had a seat that was at least partially deflated a couple years ago (before this thread existed), but didn't know what it was at the time. I assumed maybe I just should have played around more with the mattress firmness.

Originally Posted by canopus27
I don't want to come across as minimizing the downside of a deflated seat. I'm just observing that:
Inflated J seat > deflated J seat > normal Y seat
That's deflated J seat with inflatable mattress though, right? Where would you rank it for someone who didn't have one of those?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
That's deflated J seat with inflatable mattress though, right? Where would you rank it for someone who didn't have one of those?
Correct. And yes, it's a tougher question to answer if you don't have an inflatable mattress ... as you observed in your post, it's a combination of lots of factors - including whether or not you're trying to sleep.

This entire question came up in the context of "Should AC refuse to sell deflated seats?", and my observation is that a blanket ban on selling deflated J seats is not entirely black & white ... there may be circumstances and individuals who would still choose a deflated J over some of the other alternatives (ranging from a Y seat to a conceivable IDB)
skybluesea likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:50 am
Suspended

delete

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.