Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by jasdou
This problem must be getting real bad if AC is running out of comp forms.
I think they’re all stuck up on my noticeboard. At least the detachable part
jc94 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by D404
Given they seem to now 100% require these forms in order to be compensated, I don't think that is an acceptable outcome...
I can definitely state that form requirement is not 100% (as of Mar 29, 2019).
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by capedreamer
I can definitely state that form requirement is not 100% (as of Mar 29, 2019).
Does this statement only apply to S100Ks?
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:48 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yyznomad
That's unusual because there is no stub for you or the SD to take regarding the small IFE comp card. It's literally just you taking the card itself.
I wonder how AC reconciled yours with a deflated seat and not an actual IFE issue.
Doesn't the SD have to note the details of the incident on some form or logbook that then gets submitted to head office for the card to become valid/activated/whatever? I once had one of those cards that didn't work and had to fill in a customer relations form to get my compensation. I seem to recall telling this to someone at AC (SD or concierge, probably) and them telling me the SD probably had forgotten to note that the card had been issued to me.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Doesn't the SD have to note the details of the incident on some form or logbook that then gets submitted to head office for the card to become valid/activated/whatever? I once had one of those cards that didn't work and had to fill in a customer relations form to get my compensation. I seem to recall telling this to someone at AC (SD or concierge, probably) and them telling me the SD probably had forgotten to note that the card had been issued to me.
Beats me... every time I get a card the SD opens a bin up, grabs a box of the cards, picks one and gives it to me. I don't recall seeing them perform any other writing action, but it is very possible they went away somewhere and recorded it... since there is no stub, either they memorized the code on the card (opens up possibilities for errors without a stub portion), or they simply recorded something like name/flight/seat... the last time I received a comp card was a few months ago and didn't notice the SD writing anything elsewhere after handing me the card... maybe @ACYYZ/SD can clarify.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Beats me... every time I get a card the SD opens a bin up, grabs a box of the cards, picks one and gives it to me. I don't recall seeing them perform any other writing action, but it is very possible they went away somewhere and recorded it... since there is no stub, either they memorized the code on the card (opens up possibilities for errors without a stub portion), or they simply recorded something like name/flight/seat... the last time I received a comp card was a few months ago and didn't notice the SD writing anything elsewhere after handing me the card... maybe @ACYYZ/SD can clarify.
In addition to documenting the issue in the cabin log book, it is also noted in a post-flight electronic on-board report. AFAIK, there is no special activation required other than on-line submission by the Customer.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
In addition to documenting the issue in the cabin log book, it is also noted in a post-flight electronic on-board report. AFAIK, there is no special activation required other than on-line submission by the Customer.
Thanks for the fast response.

Yes, I knew it goes in the logbook (it's gotta be fixed/looked at!)... but the electronic on-board report I didn't know about.

We were wondering how AC reconciles the comp card online submission since there was no stub like the white (former green) comp forms. So it's probably the electronic on-board report?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete
jc94 likes this.

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 31, 2020 at 11:02 am
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Nothing worse (and more ironic) than a missed upgrade from BNE due to the last J seat being broken, to get into a J pod for YVR-YYZ yesterday and have solid plastic back to try and fall asleep on.

They also changed the password so I couldn't reset it.

In charge was great about it and had a form ready. Still frustrating as I didn't sleep a wink on BNE-YVR
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:50 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
@lcohen999
Sorry to hear about your experiences.

Originally Posted by lcohen999
They also changed the password so I couldn't reset it......
OK, that's hilarious.
It's like a giant cat and mouse game.

In today's episode of Punishing Your Customers........
1. Buy J and get stay-flat
2. Try to use rondelle reset. But now, new passcode, lol (@yyznomad, time to update the wiki)
3. Ask SD for form..... and they seem to have not been boarded, accidentally.....
4. Argue with AC that seat was deflated but no forms available
5. Argue with AC over compensation (which really isn't, just a coupon toward future purchase of another box of corn flakes)

Maybe I should be more creative with my #AirCanadaCamping efforts.
wrp96 and smallmj like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Does this statement only apply to S100Ks?
I don’t know as I can only speak for myself (who happens to be one).
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Of course, now in J you can pay extra for seat reset code - didn’t everyone get the promo for discount on 1st seat reset?

oh yeah, dear AC customers, please ignore our advertising- you cannot believe anything we say. 😫
Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by 24left
@lcohen999
Sorry to hear about your experiences.

Maybe I should be more creative with my #AirCanadaCamping efforts.
Meh. I've been doing this long enough to roll with the punches. I was more upset about not getting J on BNE-YVR than a deflated pod.

That said, 12C on the 787 isn't bad, even on a 13 hour flight...other than being way too close to the lav
Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: Air Canada Altitude, Star Alliance
Angry What’s the compensation you get for a CPH-YYZ deflated seat

This typically happens on about 1/2 the flights on a 777-787. Yesterday I was on the CPH-YYZ flight on a newly painted 787 sitting at 5A (only 1 window btw) and the seat deflated about 1 hour into the flight when they just started the meal service. The flight director, who oddly enough served me a few weeks earlier on a FRA flight and where I had the same issue on a 777, offered to do the usual reset (the full one, where they press a button under the pod). It worked for about 2 hours, woke up with a sore back. Cabin was full and there were no employees to move so she padded the seat with a couple of blankets and it was slightly better but seriously, they charge $4k per segment and offered me $500 last time. I’d be more comfortable in a working Premium Economy. So I tried another approach

I asked them to move me to Premium Economy where they had an employee they could move. Can I ask for them to compensate me for the difference in price instead of the usual $500 they give (is it still $500? I heard they went up to $800 now for this issue?). The difference in price is about $2,500 or so. Has anyone tried this? What will it take for Air Canada to take this issue seriously, I get so upset when I see those big “Signature Class” ads showing how wonderful it is, when it’s usually not...
Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:51 pm
Suspended

delete
wrp96 and YVRYEGYVR like this.

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 31, 2020 at 11:01 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.