Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Folks, after deleting or editing a number of chippy posts I will be blunt in reminding everyone to focus on the tread topic instead of other posters. Those unable to refrain from personal invective may lose their ability to participate in the discussion altogether.

tcook052
AC forum moderator
visitor, krayZpaving and lallied like this.

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 24, 2019 at 7:56 pm
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:00 am

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
I don’t fly widebody J that often, so I am legit in shock that I got a pancake today. Upper is flat.

SD didn’t pretend to know nothing. Said it wasn’t on the report. No maintenance in HNL so couldn’t get it swapped if we wanted. Under seat reset didn’t work. 3-2-1 reset inflated the bottom half of the back for about 3 minutes then it went flat again.

SD is pretty cool, offered to stuff it with an extra duvet to make it more comfortable. Sure, I’ll try it. Asked for a white form, she said no problem. Currently have a duvet and pillow pile beside me. Feel like Mr. Pillows

Thought about switching seats with my 4 year old, but I’m not a monster.

Will update the database. FIN 732 4K. Will let y’all know what kind of compensation comes of it.

Edit: Tore the Velcro seat cover up and shoved a duvet in there. Actually not too bad. Not good enough to get out of white form land though.

Last edited by yyckerr; Mar 25, 2019 at 3:31 am
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: AC MM+
Tactics, to each their own. On the passive-agressive side of things, sending on a weekly basis copies of fares paid on other carriers demonstrating clearly avoiding flying an AC route that I've done 100's of times is likely, IMO, the only way that I'll get any attention. I'm speaking for myself as my travel is mostly on the same route. Ever since they cut back on the compensation last month, my breaking point, adding insult to injury, I've decided to take another approach. Making threats of taking business elsewhere has no impact. Actually reallocating the spend to a competitor and making them aware of it was the only option that I had left given that AC doesn't officially acknowledge that they have a real problem with those seats.

Many of us have a 6 figure+ spend and have some of full discretion on where and with who to spend it.
lallied, Bohemian1, 24left and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Well. I can’t claim to spend 6+ figures. I’m a meagre 5-figures also with full discretion on where to spend it. I simply criss-cross North America all year with the occasional TPAC or TATL, so my attitude is admittedly different than those of you that are impacted by this on the regular. Most of my time on my 60+ annual airplanes is in domestic J.

I suppose with enough of these encounters and dwindling or disappearing compensation I may eventually hit a breaking point.

I certainly did not intend to minimize the issue. AC definitely has a widespread issue here that needs remedy. I’m just not sure taking business elsewhere will actually do anything. But I don’t have a better solution, so I’ll continue to approach all challenges with AC like I do every other challenge... by persistently trying to get people to do things for me they don’t particularly want to do.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by mamau
Tactics, to each their own. On the passive-agressive side of things, sending on a weekly basis copies of fares paid on other carriers demonstrating clearly avoiding flying an AC route that I've done 100's of times is likely, IMO, the only way that I'll get any attention. I'm speaking for myself as my travel is mostly on the same route. Ever since they cut back on the compensation last month, my breaking point, adding insult to injury, I've decided to take another approach. Making threats of taking business elsewhere has no impact. Actually reallocating the spend to a competitor and making them aware of it was the only option that I had left given that AC doesn't officially acknowledge that they have a real problem with those seats.

Many of us have a 6 figure+ spend and have some of full discretion on where and with who to spend it.
And bingo! @mamau, thank you for posting this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:16 pm

I’d like to add that I appreciate this thread and all of the opinions and information herein. Without it I would not have been educated on the issue, or understood available recourse.

Thanks to all
mamau, ffsim, lallied and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:06 pm

I'm flying on 2 AC flights next week in J (first time in AC J, looking forward to it), but now I'm quite nervous after reading these reports ... how common is this issue on the 787s and 77Ws? I.e. is it normal for at least one seat to deflate on every flight, or is it much more rare than that?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 24, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by kthpence
I'm flying on 2 AC flights next week in J (first time in AC J, looking forward to it), but now I'm quite nervous after reading these reports ... how common is this issue on the 787s and 77Ws? I.e. is it normal for at least one seat to deflate on every flight, or is it much more rare than that?
Use the AC app to figure out what FIN you’re on then check it against the wiki in this thread. At least that will tell you whether someone has previously had (and reported) a problem with the particular seat you’ve chosen.

Unfortunately, considering how widespread the problem happens to be, you have a not-insignificant chance of being affected.
24left likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite for life; Fairmont Platinum; Delta Platinum Plus
I received an Ipso's survey about my flight from London last Thursday so I took the opportunity in the comment section to mention the deflating seats. I have no idea if this will do any good but at least another arm of AC may become educated on the topic.
skybluesea and 24left like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: Free Agent
moved into quote

Last edited by canolakid; Mar 26, 2019 at 8:02 am Reason: double posted in error
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by kthpence
Be prepared vs nervous. We are taking our inflatable sleeping pads along routinely and no longer worry about quality of the seat- realism vs idealism.

Truthfully, the pads are so small we are using them at the hotel/deck chairs so no longer just an AC glamping accessory. For $40, cheap peace of mind and functionality works for us. Holding up on numerous inflate/deflates so far...

If you win (lose) deflate-seat lotto:
  1. tell SD as soon as possible- on the ground is preferred because maybe the mechanics can fix...
  2. ask for seat reset to be done by the SD/FA (procedure in wiki). This may/may not work but you need to do this step to support the next step
  3. ask for compensation form- get this on board so you have a reference # for subsequent follow up with AC Customer Service.
  4. if the seat keeps going down during your flight, do Step 2 yourself. My last TPAC I had to 'self reset' 3 times... sucks but we do what we do for self care...
visitor, ACYYZ/SD, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ffsim

Use the AC app to figure out what FIN you’re on then check it against the wiki in this thread. At least that will tell you whether someone has previously had (and reported) a problem with the particular seat you’ve chosen.

Unfortunately, considering how widespread the problem happens to be, you have a not-insignificant chance of being affected.
I actually have to disagree with that.

They are pretty good at fixing the seats that are reported to them, so the wiki is a good historical record, but I wouldn't use it for predictive purposes unless you're flying the same aircraft within a day or two of a report.

However, the failure rate is high enough that there is still a decent chance of issues.

I flew TPE-YVR and my party of 5 had 3 deflated seats.

I am on FRA-YYZ right now, and in 3 flights in the past 4 days, none of my seats had any issues.

Preparation is definitely key, but I'm not sure my inflatable mattress would work well on a 777. The seat dimensions are different.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by canadiancow
They are pretty good at fixing the seats that are reported to them, so the wiki is a good historical record, but I wouldn't use it for predictive purposes unless you're flying the same aircraft within a day or two of a report.
I didn’t think I had to spell it out, but that’s along the lines of what I’m suggesting. I hope that seats don’t remain broken for months on end
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ffsim

I didn’t think I had to spell it out, but that’s along the lines of what I’m suggesting. I hope that seats don’t remain broken for months on end
I understood what you meant, FWIW. (otherwise, what's the use of the wiki in the first place)
ffsim likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.