Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2019, 10:44 pm

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Ace Cdn
Apparently this date has been pushed back. I don't remember the exact date...the 18th????
Yes, the 18th is the correct new date, it was announced yesterday externally.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by bawm
Yes, the 18th is the correct new date, it was announced yesterday externally.
So, as of yesterday, the 18th is the new correct date. But what about as of next Tuesday... will the correct date change again?
Jebby_ca, bawm and canadiancow like this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 8:45 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by 24left
So, as of yesterday, the 18th is the new correct date. But what about as of next Tuesday... will the correct date change again?
All depends, is October a leap-month?
Jebby_ca, smallmj and RangerNS like this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
On the bright side, all my EYW flying will be done by then.

But I may be flying within two days of that switchover, which could be interesting.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: various
I doesn't bode well that Amadeus can't handle flight numbers with stops en-route (eg AC33/34 YYZ-YVR-SYD). So AC had to abandon all their same plane flight numbers that had stops and make them separate flight numbers. Not a very sophisticated system if it can't even handle that....................... no?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by YYZFlyboy
I doesn't bode well that Amadeus can't handle flight numbers with stops en-route (eg AC33/34 YYZ-YVR-SYD). So AC had to abandon all their same plane flight numbers that had stops and make them separate flight numbers. Not a very sophisticated system if it can't even handle that....................... no?
Design choice. There is some level of cruft built up with 80+ years of airline ticketing rules, in Air Canadas case over 50 years of in-house IT solutions.

There is really no modern reason for route numbering like that anymore; not implementing stuff that only exists for historical reasons is probably a great idea.
canadiancow, monkai and ecc like this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Air France does weird things like this with flights to Africa. There are also the odd ones where the aircraft leaves Paris, does two stops then returns to Paris.

Air France, Iberia, Lufthansa and SAS founded Amadeus. British Airways also does these types of flight and is on Amadeus.

Why AC can't do the same thing on Amadeus is an interesting question to ask?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: AC SE MM
Originally Posted by Fiordland
Air France does weird things like this with flights to Africa. There are also the odd ones where the aircraft leaves Paris, does two stops then returns to Paris.

Air France, Iberia, Lufthansa and SAS founded Amadeus. British Airways also does these types of flight and is on Amadeus.

Why AC can't do the same thing on Amadeus is an interesting question to ask?
Maybe the dateline crossings?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by mountainboy
Maybe the dateline crossings?
When did the dateline move to Africa?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Firstly - this is crazy - because it can really mess up some fares which have a limit on "transfers" as now an extra transfer may be required for some routes.

Second - I wonder if the other flights in the Amadeus systems which run multiple stops with the same flight number basically don't board any local passengers at the mid-point and thus can make it work. It's all a bit strange that this is not possible. . . For example - LX 294 is a circle trip ZRH-NBO-DAR-ZRH.

how can that one be handled but somehow AC can't do GVA-YUL-YYZ??
Old Oct 13, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
This is nothing to so with Amadeus's capabilities - it can easily handle flights with multiple stops and is much more of a powerful system than RESIII.

This is about making one of the most significant system transitions for any airline to go through the simplest as possible. Two reasons:

1. Training. Working multi-stop flights will always be slightly different and more complex than non-stop flights. Even today on flights like AC33, the agents in YYZ have to manage the different OFF points as two flights. Removing multi-stop flights right now eliminates the requirement to deal with this scenario and keeps things simple and uniform.

2. Transition integration. AC is not moving EVERYTHING to Amadeus overnight. They are only first cutting over RES. Once that is stabilised, they will transition airport DCS to Amadeus in waves. So they will be a multiple hybrid situations where RES is Amadeus and DCS is current and has to interface. And then RES and some airports are Amadeus whereas others are current DCS. Not having multi-stop flights at the moment makes this easier.
canadiancow, Adam Smith and ecc like this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
Firstly - this is crazy - because it can really mess up some fares which have a limit on "transfers" as now an extra transfer may be required for some routes.

Second - I wonder if the other flights in the Amadeus systems which run multiple stops with the same flight number basically don't board any local passengers at the mid-point and thus can make it work. It's all a bit strange that this is not possible. . . For example - LX 294 is a circle trip ZRH-NBO-DAR-ZRH.

how can that one be handled but somehow AC can't do GVA-YUL-YYZ??
Where this shows up all the time are flights that involve an intermediate stop in another country. BA flights to Australia usually involve a stop somewhere. Air France flight to Tahiti involves a stop in California. I believe it has to have the same flight number to be legal as it is a continuation of a flight that starts in the airlines home country. They do sell the second segments independently.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Found this: https://travel360benelux.com/nl/air-...s-altea-suite/

Seems like night of Nov 18 / 19 is the current cutover date...
Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca

Well, my 5am Atlantic time flight on the 19th should go either swimmingly or be a nightmare then. Good thing it's a nice long 70 min transborder connection
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca

Jebby_ca

Thanks for the link.

Courtesy of Google Translate :

"During the switchover from RESIII to Altéa, on the night of November 18-19, all Air Canada ticketing and reservation facilities will be offline for some time. Air Canada Contact Centers, aircanada.com, aircanada.com/agents and related GDS links are not available from anywhere between 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. Eastern Time (13-15 hours Belgian time) and that for a maximum of 12 hours.

All Air Canada flights and airport services, including the check-in kiosks, are available during that time. However, tickets, new reservations and additional services for existing reservations cannot be entered. Seat configurations can also not be consulted, nor can seat preferences be reserved. E-ticketing facilities are also unavailable. Flight information is not provided via the GDS but remains available on aircanada.com and aircanada.com/agents."..........

I wonder if this will make those regular "down for maintenance" pages from Aeroplan look like fun. Well, perhaps pack some extra snack and extra patience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.