Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Do we actually know when this is effective?
An official date has never been announced. "By end of 2019" is the most definitive timeline I've seen.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
As most of the IT experts here will tell you, it will go swimmingly. No problems at all. Nothing to watch here. It will be smooth as silk.

LOL.

(Expect havoc)
I doubt that any IT professional would say that.
Amadeus is a vendor to my company (in a different industry). Any sort of implementation / migration project with them doesn't generally run without incident. However, their airline software is more established, and they have a lot more to lose if things go wrong. Expect quite a few resources put in place to ensure the migration is successful.
Although there have been disastrous airline IT migrations in the past, a great example of one that went very, very well was AA/US. Hopefully AC & Amadeus have tapped into resources within AA and Sabre and are preparing for this cutover with the same diligence that AA used. Like AC, AA isn't exactly known for their IT prowess, so if they can make it work, there is hope.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:54 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Pretty sure the cutover is in May. Also - LX migrated a couple years ago - - and it did not make the news so it likely went pretty good.

I think the most important is that DCS operates completely seamlessly immediately and that the window for not being able to book reservations is short. All the rest of the migrations have been done before and so there is a lot of experience with it.

After so many years of RES III (I think its ~25 years) - - I guess it was time to finally get with something a bit more modern.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:36 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Do we actually know when this is effective?
Almost never.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by YUL-Insider
Jokes aside. Doesn't this mean that Aeroplan also needs to switch to Amadeus? Are Aeroplan and Air Canada working together on this migration of data and change of reservation system? It makes the battle on the FF side look even more interesting.
I expect that Aeroplan is working directly in RES III with logins and access control commensurate to their needs. They can likely pull up any AC PNR directly and can build AE itineraries. I think they are allocated pseudo-city QAE - -

So - on going to Amadeus, AE will also have all of their agents switch as well.
D582 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
I expect that Aeroplan is working directly in RES III with logins and access control commensurate to their needs. They can likely pull up any AC PNR directly and can build AE itineraries. I think they are allocated pseudo-city QAE - -

So - on going to Amadeus, AE will also have all of their agents switch as well.
Then right after that, there is the prospect of another transition to AC’s new FF system.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by fin 645

Then right after that, there is the prospect of another transition to AC’s new FF system.
The IT required to maintain a FF program would be either a simple expansion to Amadeus, or a third party application. There isn't any rip & replace for that additional functionality.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:40 am

Through the grapevine, AC is hiring like crazy for their PSS redevelopment project (they have a mass hiring event next week in Montreal).My understanding is the bulk of the team on this project will be new (to AC) and won't hit the ground running for a few more months - so 2019 seems optimistic at this point.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
After so many years of RES III (I think its ~25 years) - - I guess it was time to finally get with something a bit more modern.
It appears that RES-III was an update of RESERVAC, which dates from 1978.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
I have to be honest that I have little to no understanding of what this means. Is the use of different systems why UA is consistently unable to issue AC boarding passes when I commence a trip in Europe or Asia, connecting to Canada through the US? If it is the case and if this fixes it then I am pleased. If it is unrelated then I will settle back into my ignorance and carry on as before.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Fizzer
I have to be honest that I have little to no understanding of what this means. Is the use of different systems why UA is consistently unable to issue AC boarding passes when I commence a trip in Europe or Asia, connecting to Canada through the US? If it is the case and if this fixes it then I am pleased. If it is unrelated then I will settle back into my ignorance and carry on as before.
There are many major platforms in the game. Amadeus, Sabre, Galileo, Abacus, Worldspan, etc. Each have their own quirks and features.

The problems you hear about "lost tickets" , "cancelled seats" , etc is usually due to how these systems interact. So in theory, the least players you have, the least issues would crop up.

Every time an airline or agency wants to introduce a new feature, they have to take into consideration how it will affect each of these systems. So I'm sure you can appreciate how it's not an easy task.

But if anyone thinks merging to A1 will solve all issues, it might be time to come down to earth. The AC website has been running off the Amadeus online booking engine for a while now, and I don't think anyone has much good to say about it. It can't even handle multi fare rules properly (instances where fare rules say X but website displays Y).

That being said, if I was part of the "migration" team, I would probably be scared ......... The changes of things going wrong is probably huge, probably even more so for bookings going from RESIII to A1 with codeshares involved (aren't some AC codes are bookings dne on the back end with gallileo?). The potential losses and workload generated from migration issues is likely larger than what we can even imagine...
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
we can hope for lots of fare errors, when the system launches.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by mellon
we can hope for lots of fare errors, when the system launches.
Or we just won't be able to buy any tickets.
smallmj likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, it looks like when one buys on aircanada.com, ticket already is issued on amadeus. And I believe this has already been the case for quite a while. E-mail confirmation is actually sent by amadeus:

Authentication-Results: spf=pass (sender IP is 82.150.225.79)
smtp.mailfrom=aircanada.ca; ucalgary.ca; dkim=none (message not signed)
header.d=none;xxxx.ca; dmarc=pass action=none
header.from=aircanada.ca;compauth=pass reason=100
Received-SPF: Pass (protection.outlook.com: domain of aircanada.ca designates
82.150.225.79 as permitted sender) receiver=protection.outlook.com;
client-ip=82.150.225.79; helo=mail3.amadeus.net;
Received: from mail3.amadeus.net (82.150.225.79) by
xxxxxx.mail.protection.outlook.com (xx.xxx.xxx.xxx) with Microsoft
SMTP Server id xxxxxx via Frontend Transport; Mon, x xxx 2018 xx:xx:50
+0000
Received: from MUCEAP264 (unknown [171.17.134.1])
by mail3.amadeus.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id 8 xxxx
for ....
Date: xxxx
So it's clear amadeus is the issuer.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: *$ Green
IIRC, AC uses an Amadeus system to build/price tickets through its online platform. Basically they file their fares with Amadeus, and they take care of search and price.

But ultimately, the ticket ends up being booked on RESIII once the website passes the info through to it. If the bookings are HOSTED on A1, then there's something new that happened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.