Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

OSM - Onboard Service Manager on AC flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2017, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
Links to the other threads where the OSM - Onboard Service Manager is mentioned.

Weird or just plain incorrect things FAs/SDs have said while on board
Mentions starting with post 437
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1675221-weird-just-plain-incorrect-things-fas-sds-have-said-while-board-30.html

Summary of North America Executive class meal service
Mentions starting with post 3278
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/982441-summary-north-america-executive-class-meal-service-219.html
Print Wikipost

OSM - Onboard Service Manager on AC flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by tracon
Some math isn't adding up.
1382 assessed does not equal 1142+268+86.
If the 268 exceptional SDs are included in the 1142 that still doesn't = 1382.

24L your percentages = 107%
@tracon
Right. I wouldn't expect it to.

I quoted the numbers listed in the PDF document that @rehoult posted. I never added up AC's numbers to see if they equaled 100% or the total shown. I just used the numbers that were provided, looked at the percent based on the total listed and went from there.

Perhaps the total is the 1600 SDs and thus only 1382 were actually measured, which may mean 1600 is the 100% and not 1382.

Still, the points I listed in my OP were what I found interesting. Calculating the percent of successes and failures was really just a curious exercise.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The thing I found most interesting is that the coaching flight is the one immediately prior to the first evaluation flight.

"Service Directors should be informed of their shortcomings and given the opportunity to improve."

I agree with that.

However, "in a population of approximately 1400 Service Directors who had been assessed by July 3, 2018, only 18 failed to meet standards following the second assessment."

So it seems like the program was working reasonably well?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:14 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by rehoult
For anyone interested, the Union's grievances over the OBSM program were heard last summer and the ruling was issued on Monday: https://gallery.mailchimp.com/6c7637..._2_Rulings.pdf

In sum, the program is allowed to continue, subject to some modifications on union representation and scoring disclosure.
A very interesting read, thanks for sharing.

I'm glad to see AC's effort to enforce customer service standards won't be materially derailed by the union, although I'm surprised that so few SDs failed to meet expectations. I guess the bar for meeting expectations is lower than I would have expected.

Anyone want to guess whether @yyznomad's favourite, serial food burning, SD was one of those who ended up getting demoted?
canadiancow and gcashin like this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
A very interesting read, thanks for sharing.

I'm glad to see AC's effort to enforce customer service standards won't be materially derailed by the union, although I'm surprised that so few SDs failed to meet expectations. I guess the bar for meeting expectations is lower than I would have expected.

Anyone want to guess whether @yyznomad's favourite, serial food burning, SD was one of those who ended up getting demoted?
I have to agree with this overall assessment - the bar is pretty low to meet AC's expectations for a SD. Roughly 50-60% of the time in J I have the SD come by to introduce themselves. Only a handful of times in J (approx 5-7 occasions) have I had a SD who has been attentive to the point where it stands out from their colleagues.

In the end, it is expectations on the part of passengers, but if my experience is the norm, then there really isn't much that stand-out about being a SD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.