Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

OSM - Onboard Service Manager on AC flights

Old Sep 1, 2017, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
Links to the other threads where the OSM - Onboard Service Manager is mentioned.

Weird or just plain incorrect things FAs/SDs have said while on board
Mentions starting with post 437
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1675221-weird-just-plain-incorrect-things-fas-sds-have-said-while-board-30.html

Summary of North America Executive class meal service
Mentions starting with post 3278
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/982441-summary-north-america-executive-class-meal-service-219.html
Print Wikipost

OSM - Onboard Service Manager on AC flights

Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:34 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
100% on-board service manager.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: AC SEMM, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
100% on-board service manager.
^ Yes

I've encountered a few of them this year on popular routes like YUL to FRA and LAX. Interesting conversations with them and good on AC for introducing this program.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
In Charge's...In Charge

Just ran into this on a recent flight

Apparently AC is adding on (random) routes a special in charge manager to oversee operations of said flight.

Had not run into them before but it seems to be a new initiative.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by lcohen999
Just ran into this on a recent flight

Apparently AC is adding on (random) routes a special in charge manager to oversee operations of said flight.

Had not run into them before but it seems to be a new initiative.
Yes, mentioned in another thread this past week.

See post 437 and onward.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-board-30.html

AC launched OSMs a while back. Does anyone know:

1. What's there difference between these 2 managers

2. AC had reduced the number of FAs on routes, now down to 11 on AC 15/16 for example. Are these new "managers" now just there for decoration or to be an added layer between FAs, SDs and... ?

Last edited by 24left; Sep 1, 2017 at 11:09 am Reason: spelling
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: *$ Green
Are you sure it's not just one of the suits people that do the usual inspection or whatever?

Are you saying that some routes will have a "super SD" /"manager" of some sort on board on a regular basis?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by 24left
Yes, mentioned in another thread this past week.

See post 437 and onward.

Weird or just plain incorrect things FAs/SDs have said while on board

AC launched OSMs a while back. Does anyone know:

1. What's there difference between these 2 managers

2. AC had reduced the number of FAs on routes, now down to 11 on AC 15/16 for example. Are these new "managers" now just there for decoration or to be an added lever between FAs, SDs and... ?
Must have missed it.

From what I could gather and talking to the crew, they are not FAs or SDs. They are simply managers (think middle management). They cannot assist with any tasks (although the one on my flight did help try and fix a broken seat) or meal service. They are just there to supervise (apparently)
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Are you sure it's not just one of the suits people that do the usual inspection or whatever?

Are you saying that some routes will have a "super SD" /"manager" of some sort on board on a regular basis?
That is what I was told.

They are put on random flights (or I am guessing flights where they may have issues with some SDs)
Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I think it is absurd that they chose the least problematic of all their service and hard product issues to do this with. How about cabin cleaning? How about OTP? How about meal quality? Etc. In air service is, in my experience, not a problem at all. All those other things are.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by ridefar
I think it is absurd that they chose the least problematic of all their service and hard product issues to do this with. How about cabin cleaning? How about OTP? How about meal quality? Etc. In air service is, in my experience, not a problem at all. All those other things are.
How about answering the phone?

I agree re on board service. This is not where they need improvement.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Wait. AC has phones? I thought they could only be reached by the CBC via bird courrier.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
I saw two black-coat/green or was it red? tie wearing employees whom I thought were concierges/SDs working my TPAC flight last year. They helped with food and form distributing, but didn't seem to have the same efficiency that most FAs display during inflight service.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:57 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by lcohen999
Must have missed it.

From what I could gather and talking to the crew, they are not FAs or SDs. They are simply managers (think middle management)....They are just there to supervise (apparently)
I hope they give them a shovel to lean on so we can tell them apart. Or maybe just a Pope hat.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by ridefar
We don't know why the, er, suits, are in place. Maybe they are there to make sure the FA's only give out half a can of coke out.

Maybe they are there to observe the total cabin experience. Slow IFE, broken stuff, puke soaked seats.

It wouldn't be the first time in history executives have spent a decade ignoring their own line staff and customers, and send in someone at their level to tell them the exactly the same things
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
This new role is to fix the broken culture on board of AC's flights and to encourage engagement of Cabin Crew from complacent to optimum performance in order to become a top 10 global airline.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by RangerNS
We don't know why the, er, suits, are in place. Maybe they are there to make sure the FA's only give out half a can of coke out.

Maybe they are there to observe the total cabin experience. Slow IFE, broken stuff, puke soaked seats.

It wouldn't be the first time in history executives have spent a decade ignoring their own line staff and customers, and send in someone at their level to tell them the exactly the same things
We can only hope. A couple of overheard conversations would incline me to believe that they are there monitoring service. Perhaps ACYYZ/SD will be able to enlighten us.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.