Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada should abandon United Airlines and partner with someone else

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada should abandon United Airlines and partner with someone else

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Interesting comment from the UA thread thats going crazy.
Thats right, if the rumors are true, the best is yet to come.
Saw that and I posted a couple of questions to him.

That said, I wonder if AC has had an uptick in bookings from freaked out UA customers.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by jaysona
I have plenty of compassion for those that follow and comply with the rules. My compassion for the guy went out the windows as soon as he decide to consciously break the law and not follow airline crew instructions - as we are all required to do!

I never said I was rich, my comment merely stated that someone that pays for a higher fare bucket is afforded more privilege than someone on the el-cheapo ticket.

I have flown many times on el-cheapo tango, and suffered the consequences some times as well. Yet I'm not running to the news an whining whah, whah, whah crying that I wasn't treated well, etc. I know what the restrictions and consequences of flying el-cheapo and I deal with it - like a mature adult.
Fair.
But IDB is still not right IMHO. And so many problems like this would not happen if there are sufficient regulation in place to protect pax's rights
Even if it means everyone has to pay $1 or 2 more per flight. Getting rid of this and piss poor IRROPs treatment is for the betterment of overall society.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by Stranger
Agreed on there being no gods.

As to an order from police/security, if you don't follow one, and as long as the order is not abusive, surely they can use reasonable force.

BTW this was apparently not a case of overbooking.

What??? Maybe in Russia, China or a South American dictatorship.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Everyone has a price. If United had offered a higher level of compensation (i.e. paid "market" price as they say), someone on that plane would have bit the bullet. And this thread would not exist today.

From briefly reading the other thread, I understand another passenger asked for $1600 but was laughed at by the United GA...
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CanRulez
Everyone has a price. If United had offered a higher level of compensation (i.e. paid "market" price as they say), someone on that plane would have bit the bullet. And this thread would not exist today.

From briefly reading the other thread, I understand another passenger asked for $1600 but was laughed at by the United GA...
This was the info in the link I posted in .#65

"Before the flight started they were offering 150 bucks in vouchers to anyone who would get bumped but the next flight wasn't until the next day at about 3 in the afternoon.

After we got on the plane, I was zone 3, they raised it to four hundred dollars. About ten minutes later they raised it to 800. At this point the plane was completely boarded. Then the stewardess came on and basically told us this plane was not moving until four people got off, they said they needed it for four United employees (who I later noticed were two stewardesses and two pilots).

About ten minutes later (30 minutes after we should have left) the manager came on with a clipboard and told this gentleman in the video that he payed the lowest and had to get off the flight. He said absolutely not, he wasn't screaming but I could hear him as it was a small flight.

She shuffled around for a bit then talked to him again, this was the point when someone offered her 1600 and she laughed at him, then she told the asian guy that he was going to get physically removed."

Ah, if only I could read the Mandarin media right now in Asia......
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:02 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by CanRulez

He asked for $250 too much.

UA’s liability is limited to actual damages proved not to exceed 1350 USD per Ticketed Passenger as a result of UA’s failure to provide the Passenger with confirmed reserved space.
The guy missed it by thiiiiiiis much.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 24left

You are totally right! There is an outrage from Chinese readers even here in Canada. This is far beyond comprehension. The CEO accuses that Chinese passenger to be belligerent? After his staff insisted to terminate his trip and rescheduled against his wish, then the staff then blamed him for being not polite to you? Instead of punishing his employees, he seems to actually praise them for handling a difficult situation well?

I think this is just the beginning. I think United Airlines and Star Alliance will lose a lot of Asian customers.

Have a look at this Toronto Chinese web site, look at the posting activity. http://forum.yorkbbs.ca/chat/4483085.aspx
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.

I can tell you my feed in wechat is more pissed off than I am
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:14 pm
Suspended

AWESOME and LOLLLLLLLL

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Maybe this would get more volunteers:

A free ticket to Louisville the next day - $200
A suite at a fine hotel in Chicago - $2500
Transport to and from hotel in Chicago - $200
Three very expensive "companions" - $9000
Dinner for 4 at a top restaurant in Chicago - $2000
Adequate "nasal decongestants" for a party of four - $8000
Cash - $25,000
Total cost - $46,900

Cost of not having 300,000,000 people see videos of a bloody passenger being dragged off your plane - priceless.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28158402-post1589.html
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have flown to and from Louisville on UA regional aircraft from EWR or ORD. Everyone of those 6 flights have been overbooked and volunteers asked for. A flight in October 2015 still stands out as my seatmate was the one selected to be removed after FA announced we were oversold and not leaving until 2 volunteers agreed to take a flight the next day. I do not recall the exact amount offered, upwards of 500.00.
The system to do these denied boardings has been broken for a while. Small aircraft and down sizing and switching planes make life complicated for gate agents.
Ex YSB ,it is an issue for a scheduled Dash 300 that is at capacity and AC sends a Dash100 when the other goes mechanical or....

Changes are necessary. The paying public deserves better.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by jaysona
However the dude was a pretty big douche-bag baby too. When airline crew tell you to get off a plane, you get off and deal with the reasons - whatever they may be - at the gate and sort it all out later. The law is quite clear about following crew instructions and the consequences for not doing so, which happens to be a federal crime.
What information do you have that leads you to believe the passenger was a "pretty big douche-bag baby"? Are you speculating in the absence of any evidence? Why do you think attaching a demeaning label is an enlightened or mature approach?

The law is indeed quite clear about following crew instructions in the interests of safety, but this is so clearly not the case at hand here. Any assertions of a federal crime being committed by the passenger - based upon publicly released information - are slightly out of whack. And by slightly, I mean like, way out past left field.

It may be fine for some to adopt your meek sheep suggestion, but there are situations in which declining an inadequate offer to volunteer to bail out an airline become justified, regardless of status, fare paid or time of check in. Saying 'no thank you' should not make one a "douche-bag baby" in the eyes of any halfway compassionate person.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:25 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Where were all the special snowflakes when Icelandair ducked taped a passenger to his seat (god I wish I could have assisted with that one).

I have no pity for this person, yes it sucks to be selected but what makes you better than everyone else (modern day affliction for most)?

Nothing to do with meek sheep but with deflating an over-important sense of self-worth for 99% of the humans on the planet. Get off the plane, end of story. Sue them in small claims court, worse case. But no, make an entire production about ones self and delay a whole plane, yep sounds about right for the SJW brigade around these parts.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Where were all the special snowflakes when Icelandair ducked taped a passenger to his seat (god I wish I could have assisted with that one).

I have no pity for this person, yes it sucks to be selected but what makes you better than everyone else (modern day affliction for most)?
Oh Admiral, do you not see the difference between an unruly drunk passenger in mid-flight and one who was quietly sitting in his assigned seat that the airline belatedly determined it needed for its staff before they left the gate?

Your keyboard bravado would likely dissipate once it becomes you who is selected to vacate your rightful seat. Yet I trust the rest of us would feel the human emotion of pity if three large men yarded you out of your seat and smashed your face into an armrest as they dragged you down the aisle.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Yes, because Air Canada is the poster airline for ethical behaviour and customer service.
There are days when I am delighted we do not live in samurai times, as your ability to slice the flesh is terrifying.
(And yes, I watched the idiotic Samurai Hustle & Samurai Hustle Returns a few times too many. I'm probably the only person who likes that trash.)

My money. My choice.
Or in my case, your suggestions, your experience, then my option selection.

Originally Posted by keitherson
Well no, United and Air Canada are trying to file for antitrust immunity again. So they are going to be even closer partners, or the opposite of being abandoned by Air Canada.
What? Did not know that. Amazing. They never learn. Thanks for the info.

Fair.
But IDB is still not right IMHO. And so many problems like this would not happen if there are sufficient regulation in place to protect pax's rights
Even if it means everyone has to pay $1 or 2 more per flight. Getting rid of this and piss poor IRROPs treatment is for the betterment of overall society.
The corporate world needs more people like you who are able and willing to differentiate between right and wrong.

I can tell you my feed in wechat is more pissed off than I am
Weibo/Wechat gets angry over non events. Watching them spit blood and froth bile is a sport. Had the rent a thugs been American -Japanese there would be protests and flag burning outside the Japanese embassy.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
The law is indeed quite clear about following crew instructions in the interests of safety, but this is so clearly not the case at hand here. Any assertions of a federal crime being committed by the passenger - based upon publicly released information - are slightly out of whack. And by slightly, I mean like, way out past left field.
If the guy was instructed to leave his seat, no matter if the actual reason was safety or not, he was under obligation to do so.

BTW apparently he was not picked out at random, but by the UA overbooking rules. Which I don't think differ whether you have boarded or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.