Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada should abandon United Airlines and partner with someone else

Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:28 am
Original Poster

It is simply disgusting to see how United Airlines dragged someone forcefully out of a seat. This is physical assault. Under no circumstance this type of behaviour should be acceptable.

Air Canada has many code-share flights with United. This will definitely make me avoid Air Canada too... I don't want to be rerouted to UA-operated metals and get assaulted.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
ooo....kk....
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Well in that case there may be other 'partners' you might want to take issue with. AI as an example.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
You're going to avoid AC because of something that UA did?

So are you also going to avoid:
Aer Lingus
Aeromar
Air China
Air Dolomiti
Air New Zealand
ANA
Asiana Airlines
Austrian Airlines
Avianca
Avianca Brazil
Azul Brazilian Airlines
Brussels Airlines
Cape Air
Copa Airlines
Croatia Airlines
EgyptAir
Ethiopian Airlines
Eurowigs
EVA Air
Germanwings
Great Lakes Airlines
Hawaiian Airlines
Island Air
Jet Airways
LOT Polish Airlines
Lufthansa
Scandinavian Airlines
Silver Airways
Singapore Airlines
South African Airways
Swiss International Air Lines
TAP Portugal
Turkish Airlines

And since you're worried about being re-routed, and since the following airlines have bought tickets for re-routed pax on United, I assume you will also avoid:

Delta
American Airlines
Alaska Airways
Allegiant
Frontier
Jetblue
Southwest

I hope the answer is yes you will avoid all of these because if you won't that would be hypocritical
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Air Canada is not going to end it's relationship with UA. It makes too much money off it.

Since the universe is venting big time on this incident, we are sometimes reminded that we have a choice of airlines when we fly. We don't have to like all of the choices available either based on prices, schedules or the inability of an airline's staff to solve an issue without it hitting the media. Once it does, it will never go away.

You fly Air Canada because they get you where you need to go, when you need to get there, for the price you may or may not be willing to pay.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Yes, because Air Canada is the poster airline for ethical behaviour and customer service.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
And whom exactly would that be???

AA who recently ejected a cellist from their aircraft for being a "flight risk"?

DL who back in December deplaned a Young Arabic speaking Gentleman?

They/We all make faux pas's that are handled in a less than stellar manner. Hopefully, a lesson is learned from the experience.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by 24left
Since the universe is venting big time on this incident, we are sometimes reminded that we have a choice of airlines when we fly. We don't have to like all of the choices available either based on prices, schedules or the inability of an airline's staff to solve an issue without it hitting the media. Once it does, it will never go away.
To be fair, the post immediately above yours actually makes the case one doesn't have much of a choice of which airline to fly given the nature of airline relationships and codeshares and rerouting. To avoid United you'd need to avoid them all!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Nazdoom
To be fair, the post immediately above yours actually makes the case one doesn't have much of a choice of which airline to fly given the nature of airline relationships and codeshares and rerouting. To avoid United you'd need to avoid them all!

I'm talking big picture, not Star Alliance.

There isn't a day that goes by in the FT universe, where someone somewhere isn't ranting about a bad experience on a particular airline.

Otherwise....I am one of many on this forum who fly to Asia and SE Asia regularly. I fly AC when they deliver what I need on all levels. I also fly CX as they can deliver what AC cannot.

If my goal was to be a MM, I would pay the higher fares and put up with other things and fly AC.

That was my point.

I do not fly most of those *A partners and I avoid some of them at all cost.

My money. My choice.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
The United "incident" today IMO goes beyond airline incompetence (although incompetence was present in spades) into larger issues of police brutality. You cannot avoid the Chicago Police by avoiding one airline.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eigenvector
The United "incident" today IMO goes beyond airline incompetence (although incompetence was present in spades) into larger issues of police brutality. You cannot avoid the Chicago Police by avoiding one airline.

"The officers who removed the man from the plane were Chicago Aviation Police personnel, not Chicago Police officers. Chicago Aviation Police are sworn officers who graduated from the Chicago Police Training Academy but they are not allowed to carry weapons."

http://www.pprune.org/9735101-post19.html

Back to regular programming......Neither AC nor any other *A partner is dumping UA.

Forgot to mention under the topic of we have choices: sure, for those who must fly *A and to/from the US, UA may be the choice. You can still express your displeasure at their behaviour.

And here is an example from PPRuNe (bolding mine):

"I am a Star Alliance Gold member who has, until now, used United and its partners when it was convenient and appropriate to do so. I was so angered by this story and video that I tried calling United to voice my concerns about this incident (I have been in the aviation business for more than 45 years). It is nigh impossible to talk to a real human via their "Customer Service" phone system so I submitted an email with my comments about this bizarre, needless -- and violent -- treatment of a customer (and suggestions on how to avoid similar events in the future).

I made it clear to United that I will no longer fly on United Airlines or any of its partners and I will encourage others to do the same -- at the very least until United makes a very public apology and assures its customers that this kind of event will NEVER be handled this way again. This incident shows a significant need for customer service training, new SOPs -- and of course some obvious PR lessons must be learned.

Almost inexplicable behavior."

http://www.pprune.org/9735126-post21.html
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:40 pm

Not that i am condoning this in any way, but it seems to me like the culprit here isnt UA, (or by extension AC) it's airport security. I can't help but think that forcibly removing someone from the airplane was a very bad solution but i can't figure out what else they could have done? Offer more money? Probably cheaper to them than what this will cost them in bad PR but once again all UA did was call security, not drag the poor guy. The dragging is on the security guys.
I'm puzzled that once this started happening no one just got up and said :" OK OK, i'll go just leave the poor guy alone. "
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Thatguyatthebar
Not that i am condoning this in any way, but it seems to me like the culprit here isnt UA, (or by extension AC) it's airport security. I can't help but think that forcibly removing someone from the airplane was a very bad solution but i can't figure out what else they could have done? Offer more money? Probably cheaper to them than what this will cost them in bad PR but once again all UA did was call security, not drag the poor guy. The dragging is on the security guys.
I'm puzzled that once this started happening no one just got up and said :" OK OK, i'll go just leave the poor guy alone. "

So many mistakes.

But never let a bad situation miss an opportunity like....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28155520-post489.html
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: Horrorplan/Priceline Junkie
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
DL who back in December deplaned a Young Arabic speaking Gentleman?
What exactly does gentleman sound like?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Well no, United and Air Canada are trying to file for antitrust immunity again. So they are going to be even closer partners, or the opposite of being abandoned by Air Canada.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.