Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada should abandon United Airlines and partner with someone else

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada should abandon United Airlines and partner with someone else

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Let me point out the words for those of you who did not peek at the link I posted above:

"Even if you feel the passenger being involuntarily bumped was partly to blame by refusing to leave his seat, does United believe it was okay to let all its other customers watch a fellow passenger being dragged down the aisle, midriff bared, face bloodied?"

......"Aside from the very real damage United has done to itself with this incident, this will hurt its Star Alliance partners – airlines that promise “seamless service” across the partner airlines. Can you imagine ANA, Singapore Airlines or Lufthansa contemplating whether one of their customers might be exposed to this type of “service” if they fly on a United-operated aircraft with a boarding pass that carries their brand?"..
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by jsfrSE
This.

Very poor handling of this situation.
No argument there, the police handled the situation in prety much the worst possible way. However the dude was a pretty big douche-bag baby too. When airline crew tell you to get off a plane, you get off and deal with the reasons - whatever they may be - at the gate and sort it all out later. The law is quite clear about following crew instructions and the consequences for not doing so, which happens to be a federal crime.

Originally Posted by jsfrSE
This.
If the flight was overbooked, why then did they wait until passengers had boarded and were seated to ask for not 1, but 4 volunteers?
It probably a last minute change at SDF where the original crew in SDF had timed out and a new crew was needed right away. It was an operational issue, do you inconvenience 4 people or do inconvenience 80-100 people on the subsequent flight leaving SDF?

This kind of thing happens all the time. I was taking a flight with my ex. once, she was scheduled to operate YYZ-YHZ and then layover. Eight minutes before departure crew sked calls, she's taken off the flight and changed to operate YYZ-YYC, because one of the FA's would have timed out on the way to YYC. The YYC FA operated the flight to YHZ. Good thing I had an unlimited flight pass.

Last edited by jaysona; Apr 10, 2017 at 7:49 pm
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by jaysona
However the dude was a pretty big douche-bag baby too. When airline tell you to get off a plane, you get off and deal with the reasons - whatever they may be - at the gate and sort it all out later.
Well I hope its going to happen to Mr.Bigboy here soon, maybe you can show us how its supposed to be done while not being a complete dbag about it.
Or are we gonna see some crybaby rage post about an SE being mistreated?

Let me apologize here for my fellow dude about being dbag for not wanting to be kicked off a flight that he paid for, but hey, maybe a head bash wasnt enough.

Follow crew instruction? Better not say no when they ask you to hand him your lunch money.

Quick get the RCCHMP here before he fall off his high horse!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Well I hope its going to happen to Mr.Bigboy here soon, maybe you can show us how its supposed to be done while not being a complete dbag about it or are we gonna see some crybaby rage post about an SE being mistreated?
Let me apologize here for my fellow dude about being dbag for not wanting to be kicked off a flight that he paid for, but hey, maybe a head bash wasnt enough.
Pretty simple, gather your belongings and boarding pass in hand, get off the plane, go up the jet-bridge and talk with the agent(s). Then if you feel the reasons are unjust or that you have been slighted in some way by the airline you write in for compensation. You don't start throwing a tantrum and refuse to follow the instructions of the crew.

If this type of response escapes you, I feel (teeny bit) kinda sorta sorry for you when you are presented with similar situations.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Then if you feel the reasons are unjust or that you have been slighted in some way by the airline you write in for compensation.
Oh yes, Just wait 21 days turnaround time via email for a 15% voucher.
#Winning

Oh wait, what about his patients? I guess someone should tell them to piss off.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Oh yes, Just wait 21 days turnaround time via email for a 15% voucher.....
I thought it was 25 days and 5%
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
I thought it was 25 days and 5%
get your head bashed and collect 5%
Social media pleading to collect another 5%
Get CBC involved for another 5%

#Winning
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:54 pm

Oh wait, what about his patients? I guess someone should tell them to piss off.
Oh wait, what about the hundred or so other people that would have been affected on the follow-on flight? I guess they're less important?

IDBs happen hundreds if not thousands of times every day with nary a mention in the press or anywhere else for that matter. It's just when poor looking optics come out that the fly-once-a-year-to-see-your-grandma types come out and complain.

The short of this is the guy refused to comply with crew instructions. That is a Federal Crime which requires the response of police. The police responded extremely poorly and in an unprofessional manner imho, but I have no issue with the IDB itself, that's par for the course in flying pretty much anywhere in the world.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:58 pm

It's just when poor looking optics come out that the fly-once-a-year-to-see-your-grandma types come out and complain..
Or its because SE such as you don't get IDBed?
NIMBY problem?

Those people the following are United's problem. Not this doctor's problem. He paid for a ticket from A to B, he boarded, he did not fight. I would refuse in the exact same situation because its not a reasonable or just request. Not a single UA employee in the video were seen putting a stop to the madness even when he was under their care. A contract requires both parties acting on good faith, THIS IS NOT ACTING on good faith on UA's side.

Per CNN interview, this guy went above and beyond to offer to be VDBed at first, only said no when he was told the next flight wont be until next day 2:30 PM, how nice is this person already?

Reddit post by one pax said someone offered 1600 to be VDBed but was "laughed at"

I bet UA is wishing like hell they paid out 800 more to avoid this poop blizzard they are in atm.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Apr 10, 2017 at 8:06 pm
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Many things are illegal. Not every illegal act merits a full throated police response, particularly when no risk of harm is posed to the public. The delay that may or may not have occurred to ex-SDF pax is not a "harm" that the police need to be involved in.

Every day the police exercise basic discretion and good judgement in choosing to de-escalate situations even when they have every legal right to use force. Failure to do this results in needless injury and death.

The mere fact that the pax may have been on the wrong side of the law is not an excuse for the way that United and Chicago Aviation Police conducted themselves (acting at the behest of the airline).
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector
The mere fact that the pax may have been on the wrong side of the law is not an excuse for the way that United and Chicago Aviation Police conducted themselves (acting at the behest of the airline).
Agreed! I don't think anyone is defending their deplorable actions either.

Or its because SE such as you don't get IDBed?
Yes, pax paying higher ticket prices and that have higher status generally do not get IDB'ed. That's par for the course in aviation travel that has more than a dozen fare classes - as it should be. If I pay $3500 for my ticket, the person paying $350 better get IDB'd before me.

NIMBY problem?
No, but it sounds like an Envy problem from someone that is gifted everything.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:07 pm

Agreed! I don't think anyone is defending their deplorable actions either.

Yes, pax paying higher ticket prices and that have higher status generally do not get IDB'ed. That's par for the course in aviation travel that has more than a dozen fare classes - as it should be. If I pay $3500 for my ticket, the person paying $350 better get IDB'd before me.

No, but it sounds like an Envy problem from someone that is gifted everything.
I am not envying you, I just hope to see more compassion, empathy from you, instead of calling him a dbag. After this person went above and beyond in terms of exercising good faith.
But your comment does give off the vibe that "I am rich therefor the poor lad can go screw him self up the wrong end"

I haven't had the honor to meet you and I am sure you are a very nice guy, but calling him that term really triggered me hard. (Sorry )
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:15 pm

I am not envying you, I just hope to see more compassion from you, instead of calling him a dbag. After this person went above and beyond in terms of exercising good faith.
I have plenty of compassion for those that follow and comply with the rules. My compassion for the guy went out the windows as soon as he decide to consciously break the law and not follow airline crew instructions - as we are all required to do!

But your comment does give off the vibe that "I am rich therefor the poor lad can go screw him self up the wrong end"
I never said I was rich, my comment merely stated that someone that pays for a higher fare bucket is afforded more privilege than someone on the el-cheapo ticket.

I have flown many times on el-cheapo tango, and suffered the consequences some times as well. Yet I'm not running to the news an whining whah, whah, whah crying that I wasn't treated well, etc. I know what the restrictions and consequences of flying el-cheapo and I deal with it - like a mature adult.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:15 pm

Interesting comment from the UA thread thats going crazy.
Thats right, if the rumors are true, the best is yet to come.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Well it didn't take long, but my agency is getting our first batch of cancelation requests (all paid Biz) and now we need to update our customer list with a whole new batch of blacklist requests for United....and the list wasn't short to begin with.

The team will be up late moving people off UA and over to NH and LH for international, and we're running out of options for domestic flights on an airline that doesn't straight out suck.

Worse, there are rumors going around now (maybe the truth, who knows) the GA targeted Asian customers specifically for IDB - 3 of the 4 targeted were Asian, and only 1 non-Asian because she ran out of Asians to target. Needless to say, the PR nightmare on this has so many tentacles, it will be an ongoing exploding nightmare for days, if not longer.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:24 pm

I purposely left race out of my comments because I wanted to address the actions and operations policy only. I really do not like delving into writing about rumours and such until all the facts are presented.

However, if it indeed does come to light that some sort or racial prejudice was at play, then people need to be fired and pursued legally to the extent possible.

Interesting comment from the UA thread thats going crazy.
Thats right, if the rumors are true, the best is yet to come.
Originally Posted by bocastephen

Worse, there are rumors going around now (maybe the truth, who knows) the GA targeted Asian customers specifically for IDB - 3 of the 4 targeted were Asian, and only 1 non-Asian because she ran out of Asians to target. Needless to say, the PR nightmare on this has so many tentacles, it will be an ongoing exploding nightmare for days, if not longer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.