Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada should abandon United Airlines and partner with someone else

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada should abandon United Airlines and partner with someone else

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Stranger
Indeed. It's called the race to the bottom.

Direct consequence of people searched for rock bottom prices and airlines having no choice but obliging. Going to happen again, but next time, probably won't be UA but your favorite airline.
Agree with all of this, certainly, but somehow I don't see it happening in Europe. It hasn't quite reached that stage yet, although I think fares are even cheaper over here. Never before has it been cheaper to fly.

Originally Posted by ridefar
There is a lot more than just one thing wrong with the flying world. Why do you think this forum exists? It offers both utility maximization and therapy for the FF. Both of which are pretty much mandatory for a FF.

Indeed, and I'm very glad to be part of it. It makes me feel that, if somehow anything goes wrong in the future, there's a network of potential help out there even if in reality this probably wouldn't be the case. On the other hand, if I was to refuse to listen to crew orders then I wouldn't be able to expect things to go smoothly. I would be up for just keeping calm, getting off and sorting it all out later. But, you know, people are tired, already stressed with the security and airport experience and, who knows, maybe jetlagged. I know that when I am extremely tired I don't always react in a rational manner!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by 24left
People with far more creative skills than me.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28156707-post829.html
These spoofs - some humorous, some less so - are all posted throughout the UA forum and on Twitter, which has exploded since early this morning.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Wow
The more info come out, the more pissed I get

Guy was already super nice enough to volunteer to be bumped. It was only until he was told the next flight he can take wasnt until next day at 2:30PM he told them he has patients to see in the morning.

And these animals just went ahead and did what we saw.

Pathetic human beings. UA, FA, those cops , all of them. Head better roll on this one, Oscar should resign for this embarrassment. So should the FAs or any GA crew who did not stop police from carrying out this brutal act.

Also super nice of UA to threaten all of the pax with something along the line of "we are not leaving until we get four pax off"
Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:04 pm

It's just that while I agree this is a PR disaster for UA, I also believe the guy brought it upon himself. And that from a legal standpoint UA is likely in the clear. Not that it will help PR wise.
I can't comment upon the legalities, but the optics are about as bad as they can be. There is no way we can assert he "brought it upon himself". No he did not. The company brought it all to him.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I can't comment upon the legalities, but the optics are about as bad as they can be. There is no way we can assert he "brought it upon himself". No he did not. The company brought it all to him.
Nah bro, he clearly brought it upon himself because he did not hand those cops a can of pepsi.

Also I am not sure if Stranger practices law(if he does than I would most definitely defer to his opinion). At least based off the limited CAN business laws I l was taught, the pax was clearly under UA's care. UA has EVERY obligation to ensure the pax does not get treated the way that was depicted in the video. Esp since they already boarded the plane.

Not sure how different US laws can be though.. you never know with merica

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Apr 10, 2017 at 5:14 pm
Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
the pax was clearly under UA's care.
But then surely he was supposed to accept direct orders by the crew.

You seriously think you can say no if they order you out? Think again. I definitely would not even think of it.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:09 pm

You seriously think you can say no if they order you out?
In this scenario, yes, I do.

This was not an issue of poor passenger behaviour or non-compliance with safety rules. This was a case of a customer who was invited onto the plane with a valid ticket, sitting in his assigned seat and declining to be the stooge who accommodated the airline's poor planning in return for the compensation they were offering.

Airline staffers, as I'm sure they will be finding out shortly, if they haven't already, are not without limitations, nor immune from accountability.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite

This was not an issue of poor passenger behaviour or non-compliance with safety rules. This was a case of a customer who was invited onto the plane with a valid ticket, sitting in his assigned seat and declining to be the stooge who accommodated the airline's poor planning in return for the compensation they were offering.

Airline staffers, as I'm sure they will be finding out shortly, if they haven't already, are not without limitations, nor immune from accountability.
Serious question: does a captain need a reason to remove you from a plane (at the gate)? Could he or she do it out of total caprice and still be in the right, legally speaking?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:16 pm
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond

This.

If the flight was overbooked, why then did they wait until passengers had boarded and were seated to ask for not 1, but 4 volunteers?

Very poor handling of this situation.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsfrSE
This.

If the flight was overbooked, why then did they wait until passengers had boarded and were seated to ask for not 1, but 4 volunteers?
They were not. There were asked at the last minute to take on a crew for operational reasons.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Serious question: does a captain need a reason to remove you from a plane (at the gate)? Could he or she do it out of total caprice and still be in the right, legally speaking?
Used to be that in open seas they could hang you on the tall mast if they would have found you guilty...
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:21 pm

I think any member of the airline crew would need a valid and defendable reason for such action. Capriciousness is not a trait associated with long careers in a command position.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
And now with video from the front of the cabin.

I am horrified.

Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt it matters. Especially nowadays.

As to "poor planning," who knows. There are minor details such as weather which have a habit of standing in the way. Of course there is the issue of costs vs. ability to deal with unpredictability. Which in the era of cheap tickets, has gone were?

First, it's likely the crew, not ground staffers. Accountable to their employer surely they are. But beyond that? Goes back to the first question.

At the end of the day, to me it comes across as poor judgement and possibly miscommunication.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think any member of the airline crew would need a valid and defendable reason for such action. Capriciousness is not a trait associated with long careers in a command position.
My guess would be: the captain told the cabin crew to bump four people ASAP. No more detail given.

The crew tried. Unsuccessfully. Called security to deal with an "unruly passenger." Security overdid it. Can you blame the captain?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.