Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada should abandon United Airlines and partner with someone else

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada should abandon United Airlines and partner with someone else

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by WR Cage
I would be hesitant to go down the rabbit hole that the airline cannot use IDB provisions after the passenger has boarded.
Indeed, that wouldn't make much sense as an iron-clad rule either. e.g., suppose weight & balance issues are determined after everyone is on board. Or after everyone is boarded, a flight attendant becomes unable to continue, zero options to get a replacement, and some number of pax must disembark to maintain 1:40 or 1:50 ratio. In such cases, it's either a few people disembark or the whole flight gets canceled.

OTOH, I can imagine lots of airline execs now contemplating a change in practice to never attempt to IDB a boarded passenger for non-safety reasons!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by 28isGreat
OTOH, I can imagine lots of airline execs now contemplating a change in practice to never attempt to IDB a boarded passenger for non-safety reasons!
The problem there is what if every passenger on the plane refuses to disembark? Should the airline simply continue to up the VDB compensation, even if it becomes thousands and thousands of dollars in airline funny money, until enough people take a VDB? The bean counters (and more importantly, the shareholders) won't like that.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
The problem there is what if every passenger on the plane refuses to disembark? Should the airline simply continue to up the VDB compensation, even if it becomes thousands and thousands of dollars in airline funny money, until enough people take a VDB? The bean counters (and more importantly, the shareholders) won't like that.
Seems to me the bean counters are part of the problem and the shareholders only care when it affects their returns.

Further, few airlines and perhaps none in North America, have done a decent job managing customer expectations.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Bean counters, executives and shareholders don't like bad publicity either if the cost is greater than the compensation.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:50 pm

I agree. Companies don't do what is in the best interest for their consumers. It is up to the government to regulate that.

Would you prefer it be like how some LCCs are in Asia, and just cancel cause they think the flight isn't worth it, and consumers have no recourse?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Originally Posted by canopus27
If you could explain how this is relevant in any way, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
Same here, I'd really like to know????
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by mtdd
Innocent question:

IDB stands for "Involuntarily Denied Boarding"? So what is the legal definition of boarding? Surely a passenger who has been issued a boarding pass, presented this pass at boarding gate and been waved through onto the aircraft and sat in his assigned seat - has by definition been boarded. How can you, in legal terms, deny boarding to someone already boarded?

Surely, in legal terms, what was done to this passenger was not IDB, it was something else in law. And I would like to know what this something was, and whether it was sanctioned in law.

Also, if the passenger was somehow in breach of the airline's terms and conditions, is it permissible to enlist the police to enforce a clause in a civil contract? Let alone by use of physical force?

(EDIT: someone earlier in the thread mentioned that the cops involved are not permitted to carry firearms, to which my reaction is: thank the Lord for small mercies, given the firearm indiscipline that American cops seem to display at the earliest opportunity that presents itself).

Purely as an aside, someone earlier mentioned that those that decide to boycott (or choose not to fly with) an airline, more often than not do so without announcing the fact in advance. In my case, having achieved gold membership of one airline, I became displeased with them after a certain event for which I thought the explanation/apology was inadequate, and simply stopped flying with them. It is now three years since I made that decision. That decision probably cost the airline over $100,000 in lost revenue - but hey that is a drop in the bucket, what do they care?
Each of us is one revenue passenger but if there are many of us spending significant sums annually, it adds up.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:02 pm

What's wrong with allowing an airline just to codifying the compensation into their CoC.

Don't like the compensation available? Don't buy "that" sort of ticket.

The deepest-discount Tango tickets, for example, could offer no compensation.

Full-Y or Full-J tickets, could offer, for example, the chartering of a private aircraft to transport the passenger if he/she is IDB'ed as 'compensation' if protection on another carrier, even if outside the alliances, is not possible. (AFAIK, AC will not buy an IDB/VDB'ed customer a ticket on WS under current policies, although most J/Y tickets could be refunded and used to buy a cash walk-up fare on WS without additional outlay!)

The root cause of the 'problem' here is too many people who really have no business (economically) setting foot on airplanes, think they're entitled to the world because they paid a fare which barely does much more than cover the cost of the fuel, but may be 'expensive' or "full fare" to them personally.

Each of us is one revenue passenger but if there are many of us spending significant sums annually, it adds up.
Spending doesn't matter, profit does. AC has lots of customers who spend big, but don't add anything to the bottom line. Altitude changes over the past few years have attempted to, with reasonable success, remove status and 'recognition' from those sorts of people who may be on AC aircraft often, but aren't profitable. So that profitable customers can be recognized.

Last edited by pitz; Apr 11, 2017 at 1:12 pm
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by 24left
Seems to me the bean counters are part of the problem and the shareholders only care when it affects their returns.

Further, few airlines and perhaps none in North America, have done a decent job managing customer expectations.
Agreed on the latter. On the former, IDBing this passenger instead of further increasing VDB compensation, had the Chicago Aviation police not treated the passenger like a common criminal, was arguably the short-term smart choice for the financial bottom line of the business. Every airline does it daily. When the cost to the airline of IDBing a customer is, say, $500, offering $1000+ in airline funny money as VDB compensation doesn't make short-term financial sense. Of course, it ignores that VDB/IDBs aren't numbers on a spreadsheet; they are living, breathing human beings being severely inconvenienced. Arguably, the most effective and fastest move to do in response to this is to significantly increase the IDB compensation required under US federal regulations. It's a major inconvenience to people who are IDBed; they should be compensated heavily for that inconvenience.

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Bean counters, executives and shareholders don't like bad publicity either if the cost is greater than the compensation.
The cost of this to United will be hard to directly measure (though it looks to be, as the US President would say, YUGE). The cost of compensation is easy to measure. Not saying that it is right, but this sort of event is what happens when you measure people on fiscal numbers and getting the flights out on time, rather than a more nebulous concept of "customer's best interest". It's also on United for not getting these crew members to Louisville sooner. If the majority of regular FTers know "don't book the last flight of the night if you absolutely positively must be there first thing in the morning" how come United doesn't know this?

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I agree. Companies don't do what is in the best interest for their consumers. It is up to the government to regulate that.
Agreed. Companies will do what is best for the bottom line. It is in fact considered bad governance not to. However, see my above posts for how "what is best for the bottom line" can have different definitions, despite too often a focus heavily biased towards "measurables" even if flawed ones.

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Would you prefer it be like how some LCCs are in Asia, and just cancel cause they think the flight isn't worth it, and consumers have no recourse?
Hardly, and I would never suggest such. If you offer a scheduled flight, you operate that flight unless safety concerns prohibit it. If your scheduling department is routinely offering flights that are so empty as to be uneconomical, you need new scheduling staff.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Star Alliance
Sue them all!

Originally Posted by MoreMiles
It is simply disgusting to see how United Airlines dragged someone forcefully out of a seat. This is physical assault. Under no circumstance this type of behaviour should be acceptable.

Air Canada has many code-share flights with United. This will definitely make me avoid Air Canada too... I don't want to be rerouted to UA-operated metals and get assaulted.
The doctor will have a much higher balance in his bank account in due course. Agreed about A/C. Returned from Mexico one month ago with the "friendly skies" airline...say again? Stood at ticket counter for over 20 mins as agent tried to assign seats for flight 1 to Denver, en route to Calgary. computer wouldn't work. Had seats for 2nd flight though - somehow. Agent said to ask for economy plus at the gate as they would not charge us, but he would have to...i.e. if his computer would work. Hurried to gate (about 1 hr prior), and waited on agents until the flight was totally boarded...you know, "hurry up and wait"? One question about the progress of seat assignment was responded with "wait!" - that's it, wait! There were at least 5 of us without seats; many on standby. Four of us ended up in an exit row, albeit with at least 1 seat # duplicated. I may be wrong, but don't think any of the seat backs on this plane were adjustable...ours weren't....to add more joy. Did I mention we waited in line at the PV airport in the United line up for...maybe 30 to 40 mins at least before reaching the agent with a malfunctioning computer. No lunch for us (United menu). Safe to say this flight was really over booked. United can't pre-book crew for a flight?? Well we will assume thier computers do work most of the time, or are they that incompetent? Maybe the CEO does need to go.

Denver security line up was 30 mins?...back and forth like cattle or sheep to reach x-ray. I never see these people inspect shoes or belts, or even lap tops. Guess they will soon. No supper (United menu).

A/C may stick with United. We won't! We changed our frequent flyer plan 2 weeks ago to Am/Ex. ...choose any airline. Will fly A/C still, and WestJet, if a direct flight. No offense to our American friends, but we will avoid US airlines and US airports as best we can. US government - and the airlines - have what, prostituted the industry? A sad state of aviation affairs for North America. We know it will be worthwhile to shop long and hard for our next flight.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posted by UA 2:08PM ET April 11 2017.

Quite the change of tone and words. Hmmmm.
I'll assume AC and its PR people are watching and taking notes

http://newsroom.united.com/news-releases?item=124755
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joyofflying
T
United can't pre-book crew for a flight??
I don't see how they could in case of a last minute substitution.

People seem to all fired up because they bumped paying customers for a crew. ut surely a crew needed to take over a flight early in the morning should be higher priority. Simply a matter of having 4 vs. 130 passengers delayed. Or more if it spills over.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:19 pm

Well, on the plus side, i'm sure service will be EXCELLENT on United flights for the next few weeks...
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I can't read all the thread updates on my iPhone, but reports are that the man taken off the plane had his medical license revoked at least once due to anger management issues and was caught prescribing opiates in exchange for gay sex.

Maybe there's another side to this story. I'll try and find the article.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

There are so many posts that are about the actual UA incident itself rather than the thread topic that a thread clean-up was considered but quite frankly there are simply too many so will leave this thread closed and encourage the crowd so eager to continue discussing this matter to please do so in the appropriate thread in the UA forum which is here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...il-2017-a.html

Regards,

tcook052
AC forum Mod.

Last edited by tcook052; Apr 11, 2017 at 8:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.