Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion of concierge pay

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2021, 12:59 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by rankourabu
https://www.narcity.com/air-canada-j...quire-a-degree

$16 an hour and you get to deal with entitled elites all day 😀
If you get to know the concierges, you will know there are entitled, PITA SEs, and then there are people who are pleasant and who they actually enjoy seeing. Some SEs have very good relationships with concierges.

I would also point out that while the hourly cash wage is not very high, $16 an hour for a concierge is not directly comparable to $16 an hour at, say, McDonald's. Concierges are unionized, so they get health and pension benefits on top of that (and I believe they're still on a DB pension plan, which makes it tremendously valuable), plus all the travel benefits.

It's by no means the best-paying job out there, but there are plenty of worse ones.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 8:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
is not directly comparable to $16 an hour
Ability to deadhead anywhere AC flies is basically a FTers dream come true.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 8:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by rankourabu
https://www.narcity.com/air-canada-j...quire-a-degree

$16 an hour and you get to deal with entitled elites all day 😀
I'm going to measure cost in concierge/hour/units for a bit.

Yesterday's announcement cost my family 1,875* concierge hours to maintain SE status post 2022

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Deadhead as a concierge? How would they qualify for access to the concierge team?

//If anyone in my family worked for AC we'd be calling each other all the time "I'll be 15-20 hours late coming home tonight. Someone no-showed in J and I'd better fly round trip."

Last edited by expert7700; Oct 19, 2021 at 10:31 pm
Old Oct 20, 2021, 2:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Uh... concierges don't deadhead.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Uh... concierges don't deadhead.
OK then. Buddy pass or employee standby.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 12:02 am

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by Jacquelyn Hyde
I saw a job posting for an Air Canada Concierge, and it got me wondering what kinds of odd requests the "top-tier premium customers" ask of concierges. What have you requested or seen others request of concierges?

Job Details:
  • The position is a busy one with duties that vary from day to day depending on the diverse requirements of our top tier premium customers.
  • A Concierge is always helpful, always follows through with a request and always has the right attitude. The Concierge creates a sense of comfort and recognition for our premium customers with a simple philosophy – “If it’s possible, consider it done”.
While I don’t have any “odd” requests of my own to share, I did get curious about this job posting and poked around the careers section of the AC website. I cannot believe that the Concierge job at YYZ pays $16/hr. $33K/yr.
Spoiler

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 27, 2022 at 2:22 pm Reason: Add quote for clarity
Old Jan 25, 2022, 7:40 am

Programs: Super Elite 100K
Originally Posted by yyckerr
While I don’t have any “odd” requests of my own to share, I did get curious about this job posting and poked around the careers section of the AC website. I cannot believe that the Concierge job at YYZ pays $16/hr. $33K/yr.
The $16/hour goes a long way to explaining the mindset at AC, i.e., let's put the lowest paid employees in charge of taking care of our most valuable, and arguably highest net-worth, clients.
As a business owner, it is painful to see nickel-and-diming at the absolute wrong place in the organizational model.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 11:06 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by yyckerr
Blows my mind.

I have friends who are/were 5-star-hotel concierges, and while their base compensation wasn't enormous, they certainly weren't going home with $33k/yr.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 11:09 am

I was under the impression you basically got hired as "airport agent", and then bid on the specific position you wanted. I certainly know people regularly move between general agent and concierge.

So I'm not surprised that the pay is listed as the same.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 1:44 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by willflyforfood
The $16/hour goes a long way to explaining the mindset at AC, i.e., let's put the lowest paid employees in charge of taking care of our most valuable, and arguably highest net-worth, clients.
As a business owner, it is painful to see nickel-and-diming at the absolute wrong place in the organizational model.
You're wrong on a number of points there.

On base pay:
  • Concierges aren't the lowest-paid employees. They make more than the check-in/gate agents and the call centre staff. They might be the best-paid front-line customer service staff in the company
  • $16/hour is the starting wage, and it goes up with seniority. They get a bump every year they stick around.
  • The base wage doesn't include overtime or shift premium for working holidays, late nights, weekends, etc.
  • The bottom line is that the vast majority concierges working full time will be making far more than $33K a year ( @YOWgary )

On total compensation:
  • This is a union job, which comes with excellent job security
  • The health benefits and pension are much better than most positions with a similar level of base pay
  • I say this with all due respect to the concierges, many of whom I know and value as people, but it's not a very high-skilled job. You don't need an advanced degree, or any degree at all, to work for AC as a concierge

Travel benefits and the airline industry in general:
  • AC employees, including concierges, get access to significant flight benefits, which can be very valuable. Even though they mostly have to fly SBY, doing so (basically) for free is very attractive to many people
  • Even though the passenger experience has been degraded, there's a certain level of glamour associated with the airline industry, and it often pays people less well as a result. This includes people at head office - I know people who have been at fairly senior roles at a certain airline in YYC, and even they generally were paid less than they could make in another industry

I was under the impression you basically got hired as "airport agent", and then bid on the specific position you wanted. I certainly know people regularly move between general agent and concierge.
You bid on it, but AC has the discretion to pick who they want.

So I'm not surprised that the pay is listed as the same.
It's the same as a lead agent though, not every agent at the airport.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jan 25, 2022 at 1:52 pm Reason: Reply to additional post
Old Jan 25, 2022, 2:04 pm

Concierges aren't the lowest-paid employees. They make more than the check-in/gate agents and the call centre staff. They might be the best-paid front-line customer service staff in the company

It's the same as a lead agent though, not every agent at the airport.
If you're bilingual (and not necessarily EN+FR), it's the same pay: https://careers.aircanada.com/jobs/7...ialist-airport

And I have a suspicion that if they actually have shortages, they'd take someone in YYZ who only spoke English.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 2:36 pm

If you're bilingual (and not necessarily EN+FR), it's the same pay: https://careers.aircanada.com/jobs/7...ialist-airport

And I have a suspicion that if they actually have shortages, they'd take someone in YYZ who only spoke English.
The agents don't have to be bilingual under the CBA. Maybe those who are get paid at the same rate as lead/concierges. But there are plenty of unilingual agents working check-in/gates.

Regardless, they're not paid better than concierges, so concierges can still be the best-paid front-line staff
Old Jan 26, 2022, 7:29 am

Programs: Super Elite 100K
You're wrong on a number of points there.
I beg to differ. You are in error for reading my post as a literal economic dissection of Air Canada's pay policies. I was speaking figuratively when I said 'lowest-paid', but as you can attest to below, it was also not far off,literally.
This is a thread dedicated specifically to the importance of AC Concierges, and the role they play in ensuring an EXCELLENT customer experience for the most valuable clients of the airline.
There is no thread discussing the importance of Rampies ($17.75/hour), Groomers ($15.20), or Call Centre Agents ($16.00).
Yes, Groomers are paid less than Concierges, and the same as AC and Aeroplan customer service agents, so concierges aren't literally the lowest-paid - but it's close!
Your error is taking my post literally. The position of concierge is crucial - otherwise why would airlines go to that additional expense? - and my post was merely pointing out that when you fail to pay up for excellent performance, you get middling performance. And the role of a concierge - be it in a hotel, cruise ship, or airline environment - must be treated as nothing less than vital to the overall success of the enterprise.
The posts in this thread run decidedly hot and cold with regards to AC Concierge effectiveness, pointing out the obvious failure in AC's recruiting, hiring, and retention for this important vocation.
And yes, the perks listed are to be considered. However, with ALL of those amazing perks - along with the obvious prestige of becoming an Air Canada Concierge - why would there be consistent, durable openings?
Old Jan 26, 2022, 8:33 am

And yes, the perks listed are to be considered. However, with ALL of those amazing perks - along with the obvious prestige of becoming an Air Canada Concierge - why would there be consistent, durable openings?
Its a large workforce. If AC concierges have 10% turnover (which is a low first pass guess from overall average labour stats) and they they have as few as 50 positions at YYZ (which is perhaps low), then they need 5 new people a year to keep steady.

I'm not sure an open position indicates anything except for a large labour force.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 11:22 am

The position of concierge is crucial - otherwise why would airlines go to that additional expense? - and my post was merely pointing out that when you fail to pay up for excellent performance, you get middling performance. And the role of a concierge - be it in a hotel, cruise ship, or airline environment - must be treated as nothing less than vital to the overall success of the enterprise.
You seem to ignore that the concierge job is a front-line customer service job. It requires minimal education, and no hard skills that take years to acquire (e.g. plumbing, electrical). It's not a sector that pays very well.

Is a rampie or groomer not "vital to the overall success of the enterprise"? If no one pushes the plane back, there will be no flight, and if the planes are never cleaned, surely no one would fly the airline (insert joke about AC's dirty aircraft). Cabin crew get paid a higher hourly wage, but only get paid from door close to brake set, so they don't make a lot of money either; are they not vital?

How much do you think concierges should make (base rate)? $25 an hour? $50 an hour? That's not the market for a job with this type of training/skill set.

The posts in this thread run decidedly hot and cold with regards to AC Concierge effectiveness, pointing out the obvious failure in AC's recruiting, hiring, and retention for this important vocation.
AC has hundreds of concierges. Many of them are excellent. A few aren't. When you're hiring hundreds of people at dozens of locations, I'm not sure you can have 100% excellence, especially in a union position where it's very hard to get rid of poor performers.

YYZ has consistently been a problem for a while, and I can't answer why they've been unable to maintain a good standard of service there, but my experiences at YYC, YVR, YUL, and foreign stations (e.g. LGA, FRA, BRU) have generally been quite good.

So I disagree that AC has any systemic problem in hiring/retaining good staff in this area (outside of, perhaps, YYZ).

I concur with @RangerNS. There are lots of concierges with long tenures with AC and in the concierge position specifically (although a number of them did take attractive early retirement offers from AC during COVID).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.