Discussion of concierge pay

Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I guess we'll have more to talk about when someone posts "Concierges make $15.00/hr?" in 2019.
Since when are concierges getting a pay raise in 2019 (presumably in Ontario)? Do you know something we do not?
skybluesea likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Since when are concierges getting a pay raise in 2019 (presumably in Ontario)? Do you know something we do not?
(Yes, Ontario)
Unless something has changed (and I missed it), the minimum wage legislation has it at $15.00 starting January 1, 2019. This was in the news for awhile leading up to the start of this year when the $14.00/hr came into effect.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:02 am
Suspended

(Yes, Ontario)
Unless something has changed (and I missed it), the minimum wage legislation has it at $15.00 starting January 1, 2019. This was in the news for awhile leading up to the start of this year when the $14.00/hr came into effect.
https://www.nationalobserver.com/201...y-first-debate

While the new Conservative government has not acted on this, if they do as they campaigned, this will no longer come to fruition.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
https://www.nationalobserver.com/201...y-first-debate

While the new Conservative government has not acted on this, if they do as they campaigned, this will no longer come to fruition.
True true.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: *$ Green
Was there ever a party that reduced the minimum wage? Inb4 Trump.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Was there ever a party that reduced the minimum wage? Inb4 Trump.
It's not a reduction if it hasn't come into effect.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
This thread was created when the starting salary was $13.49/hr, but now it seems to have been bumped up to $14.00/hr.

So you should be happy to know that you make the same as an AC Concierge (or an AC Concierge makes the same as you).
lol I forgot about the minimum wage increase, not that I really pay attention to Ontario news (I’m just here as a student). Even once I’m done my commercial pilots license I’ll still be around that $14.00 an hour mark for a while
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
(Yes, Ontario)
It’s still meant to be the case but I believe it was listed as one of the promises to wipe out. But, unlike cap and trade, green rebates etc it’s not yet been blown away afaik.

The issue is when it went out to $14 many prices went up 20% or whatever it was compared to the old one. Of course many people not earning minimum wage did not get a $2.40/h increase (of course if you make $100/h it probably did but you probably don’t care then).

Either way, I wonder how close AC can come to avoiding minimum wage due to perks. Some people are exempt if they get tips etc... while concierges don’t get tips they may get free travel perks that would allow AC to pay them less?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jc94

It’s still meant to be the case but I believe it was listed as one of the promises to wipe out. But, unlike cap and trade, green rebates etc it’s not yet been blown away afaik.

The issue is when it went out to $14 many prices went up 20% or whatever it was compared to the old one. Of course many people not earning minimum wage did not get a $2.40/h increase (of course if you make $100/h it probably did but you probably don’t care then).

Either way, I wonder how close AC can come to avoiding minimum wage due to perks. Some people are exempt if they get tips etc... while concierges don’t get tips they may get free travel perks that would allow AC to pay them less?
Political discussion aside since it really has no place here, I don't believe your comment re: free travel perks would allow Air Canada to pay someone less than the minimum wage, especially since these are full time employees with AC, not contract staff. In fact, I'd like to challenge that thought process if I may - where does it say that if someone gets free perks through work that they may be exempt from the minimum wage as imposed by the government?
skybluesea likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
A select few Canadian provinces allowed a slightly lesser wage for those serving alcohol or receiving tips. But not much less, and not Ontario.

I've only read the Nova Scotia code with any detail; it is very clear that it is a cash wage, period, and the employer can't deduct anything that would bring the wage below the minimum cash wage.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
So apologies if I was unclear I was asking if it’s possible that AC could pay less due to perks. I wasn’t saying it was happening or possibly, just asking.

As far as minimum wage in ON goes I thought it was possible to underpay for say waitress jobs but my information is second hand from a limited sample and a number of years out of date. Regardless it sounds like this is and would not be permitted in the case of the concierges so they will be paid $14 at YYZ and potentially less in day YVR. I intentionally picked the two most expensive areas there yes.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by jc94

It absolutely has an effect on pricing, you're right.

However, from an economics perspective, the income mobility coming from a compression of the income spread is allegedly excellent for the economy.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyway...

Do new Concierges shadow experienced/senior Concierges?
Old Oct 19, 2021, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
https://www.narcity.com/air-canada-j...quire-a-degree

$16 an hour and you get to deal with entitled elites all day 😀
Old Oct 19, 2021, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
https://www.narcity.com/air-canada-j...quire-a-degree

$16 an hour and you get to deal with entitled elites all day 😀
That's an improvement* on the $14 discussed not too long ago!

* "improvement" does not necessarily mean "good", however

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.