Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion of concierge pay

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2022, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Also, when concierges gain seniority, a lot of them tend to start bidding for MLL positions. It's a pretty good job to sit behind a desk scanning BPs, telling everyone "go to customer service" (while sitting under a sign that literally says "Customer Service") all day.

I've seen many former concierges (some still in their concierge uniform) behind MLL desks once they're around 25 years.
SKYEG likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 1:28 pm

With all the praise for the Concierges on here recently, I thought it might be interesting for some to read their Job Description (and pay). That's right, the new hires n Vancouver are paid about the same as you would make working in the drive-thru window at Tim Hortons.

https://careers.aircanada.com/jobs/7802998-concierge
Old Jul 27, 2022, 1:52 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Resurrection
With all the praise for the Concierges on here recently, I thought it might be interesting for some to read their Job Description (and pay). That's right, the new hires n Vancouver are paid about the same as you would make working in the drive-thru window at Tim Hortons.

​​​at that hourly rate, (and low # of hours guaranteed) it costs less to pay a concierge for a year than one sine SE100k"s minimum spend. In the US, 20-32 hours week screams out "part time" (less benefits).

//that being said, some may want the low 20hr work week. I'd use all my off time to find any anomaly nonrev flights with low J cabin loads, and keep a "go bag" at work for last minute adventures.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
​​​at that hourly rate, (and low # of hours guaranteed) it costs less to pay a concierge for a year than one sine SE100k"s minimum spend. In the US, 20-32 hours week screams out "part time" (less benefits).

//that being said, some may want the low 20hr work week. I'd use all my off time to find any anomaly nonrev flights with low J cabin loads, and keep a "go bag" at work for last minute adventures.
Perhaps but it isn't going to go very far if you're paying for housing in very expensive Vancouver. Maybe if you're living in your parent's basement.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 2:18 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

We're going to do this again?

The hourly wage may not be great, but it's not comparable to the hourly wage at Tim Horton's. I'll just recycle what I said last time.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
  • $16/hour is the starting wage, and it goes up with seniority. They get a bump every year they stick around.
  • The base wage doesn't include overtime or shift premium for working holidays, late nights, weekends, etc.
  • The bottom line is that the vast majority concierges working full time will be making far more than $33K a year

On total compensation:
  • This is a union job, which comes with excellent job security
  • The health benefits and pension are much better than most positions with a similar level of base pay
  • I say this with all due respect to the concierges, many of whom I know and value as people, but it's not a very high-skilled job. You don't need an advanced degree, or any degree at all, to work for AC as a concierge

Travel benefits and the airline industry in general:
  • AC employees, including concierges, get access to significant flight benefits, which can be very valuable. Even though they mostly have to fly SBY, doing so (basically) for free is very attractive to many people
  • Even though the passenger experience has been degraded, there's a certain level of glamour associated with the airline industry, and it often pays people less well as a result. This includes people at head office - I know people who have been at fairly senior roles at a certain airline in YYC, and even they generally were paid less than they could make in another industry
YYC3722 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 4:34 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
CSR jobs are severely underpaid across the board. It's actually pretty sad that it hasn't changed over the years. You want good customer service? pay these staff a bit more.

If you're a single income parent, $25/h would be difficult to survive comfortably nowadays. The concierge job is pretty crap for what you get paid. Dealing with issues and entitled corporate DYKWIA for that kind of pay? brutal. I'm sure some still enjoy their jobs and are proud to do it, kudos to them. Maybe concierge would be an OK job right after college while single or maybe with just a partner. Dual income no kids types. It's not a survivable wage with kids - not a career wage by any means. It's a CSR job. the flight benefits and privilege would be worthless if you can't feed your kids at home and afford to pay a mortgage. This is at $25/h. I can't even imagine trying to survive off $16/h... just insane. Execs should give up some of their crazy 7/8 figure bonuses to pay CSR's more. Yeah I'm on that team. Doesn't matter if working at tim hortons or AC, pay a better wage.

I have friends that are firefighters who do ground crew PT, EA's that are PT Gate Agents and at home CSR's. All for AC and JUST for the flight benefits. that makes way more sense as they make a livable career wage and can double dip on flight benefits with a PT job that means nothing to them. They don't think there's anything cool about what they do working for AC. Definitely don't think it's a glamorous job, they aren't proud of working for AC at all. It's just to travel free. Being unionized actually makes things worse for them but I won't even go there.

For the actually Full timers - my friends that fly AC mainline/Jazz captains, FO's and TONS of FA's constantly complain about the wages (they are also pretty underpaid, especially all junior staff) and how the "glamour" of flying has complete died off. Fun for the first few years to experience travel (if you haven't already) and hooking up with randoms in new cities but that's about it. Just becomes just a regular, low paying job. Need to be SUPER senior to make any type of decent wage, grind your life away in a union. When some of my friends started at Jazz as a pilot, they made like $45k a year lol. that's like $21/h. Had so many convos with FA's/SD's on destinations they hate flying the most because of entitled or unmannerly pax. There still are the old school career captains and FA's but for the new gen -> it's just a fun job to work a few years before settling down somewhere and getting married. Some think it's good for some clout for social media lol

Working in the airline industry sucks.
fbrdky likes this.

Last edited by SKYEG; Jul 27, 2022 at 4:48 pm
Old Jul 27, 2022, 4:43 pm

This is the pay rate chart for the call center, assuming similar wage progression for the concierges, you'll be making more than Tim Hortons by step 2. $27 with annual wage increases seems better than most entry level jobs that exist out there (and heck, even ON healthcare jobs where wage increases were capped at 1%).

Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
We're going to do this again?

The hourly wage may not be great, but it's not comparable to the hourly wage at Tim Horton's. I'll just recycle what I said last time.
Really?
Tim Hortons
Vancouver, BC
$16 an hour
Full–time

Team Member

rankourabu likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 6:08 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Really?
Tim Hortons
Vancouver, BC
$16 an hour
Full–time

Team Member

There's a lot that's being overlooked/ignored here. Compare the perks and extra earning potential that Adam listed, and you might draw a different conclusion. I'd like to think that the standby perk is worth a lot more than a breakfast muffin staff meal.
Adam Smith and talkeryxu like this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:08 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Really?

Tim Hortons
Vancouver, BC
$16 an hour
Full–time
​​​​​​Health benefits: zero
Pension contributions: zero
Job security: zero
Automatic wage increases with seniority: zero
Travel benefits: zero

Whereas the AC jobs come with all of those things, as I've already detailed.

Argue that AC's front line staff are underpaid if you like, but don't give me this garbage that it's the same as making $16/hour slinging coffee at Tim's.
BlondeBomber, m.y, CT1 and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 12:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SKYEG

If you're a single income parent, $25/h would be difficult to survive comfortably nowadays. .
In 90% of this country, it's well beyond difficult. What you're describing is near-abject poverty for someone with a dependent. I despise this part of the airline industry.

I would, in an absolute heartbeat, accept a permanent 10+% hike on airfare if I transparently knew the extra revs were going exclusively to the floor-level employees.
Benner and YOWgary like this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris
TI'd like to think that the standby perk is worth a lot more than a breakfast muffin staff meal.
Until the first time you get bumped and need to find a hotel with your $16 part time pre tax wage.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 3:58 pm

Programs: AP AS BA
Originally Posted by SKYEG
CSR jobs are severely underpaid across the board. It's actually pretty sad that it hasn't changed over the years. You want good customer service? pay these staff a bit more.

If you're a single income parent, $25/h would be difficult to survive comfortably nowadays. The concierge job is pretty crap for what you get paid. Dealing with issues and entitled corporate DYKWIA for that kind of pay? brutal. I'm sure some still enjoy their jobs and are proud to do it, kudos to them. Maybe concierge would be an OK job right after college while single or maybe with just a partner. Dual income no kids types. It's not a survivable wage with kids - not a career wage by any means. It's a CSR job. the flight benefits and privilege would be worthless if you can't feed your kids at home and afford to pay a mortgage. This is at $25/h. I can't even imagine trying to survive off $16/h... just insane. Execs should give up some of their crazy 7/8 figure bonuses to pay CSR's more. Yeah I'm on that team. Doesn't matter if working at tim hortons or AC, pay a better wage.

I have friends that are firefighters who do ground crew PT, EA's that are PT Gate Agents and at home CSR's. All for AC and JUST for the flight benefits. that makes way more sense as they make a livable career wage and can double dip on flight benefits with a PT job that means nothing to them. They don't think there's anything cool about what they do working for AC. Definitely don't think it's a glamorous job, they aren't proud of working for AC at all. It's just to travel free. Being unionized actually makes things worse for them but I won't even go there.

For the actually Full timers - my friends that fly AC mainline/Jazz captains, FO's and TONS of FA's constantly complain about the wages (they are also pretty underpaid, especially all junior staff) and how the "glamour" of flying has complete died off. Fun for the first few years to experience travel (if you haven't already) and hooking up with randoms in new cities but that's about it. Just becomes just a regular, low paying job. Need to be SUPER senior to make any type of decent wage, grind your life away in a union. When some of my friends started at Jazz as a pilot, they made like $45k a year lol. that's like $21/h. Had so many convos with FA's/SD's on destinations they hate flying the most because of entitled or unmannerly pax. There still are the old school career captains and FA's but for the new gen -> it's just a fun job to work a few years before settling down somewhere and getting married. Some think it's good for some clout for social media lol

Working in the airline industry sucks.
At the risk of veering off topic: would working for a non-unionized airline be better in terms of cash remuneration? I suppose you're trading job security for more cash but still have the travel benefits.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 11:39 pm

Programs: AC*SE
It's an interesting reflection on the position, but I'd also highlight that previous concierges made considerably more under the old agreement, or the ones on the "grandfathered" wages were making nearly double the new ones. I recall some controversy when the new pay scales kicked in a few years back.

Whether or not you need skills to do the job, I would say that the fresh off the street concierges tended to be much less helpful than the seasoned ones who had worked elsewhere in the company and had some idea how ticketing, etc worked. The new ones were a helpful check-in service but not much else where as the experience side of things really made the experience better when things went bad. I'm a few years out of date on being SE though.

It's all about how they want to approach it though, is it just about bodies and someone to answer phones who are cheap and plentiful, or do you pay more and have fewer that can really make a difference in a traveler's day. They've picked the cheap and plentiful route.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 7:12 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by CdnFlier
Whether or not you need skills to do the job, I would say that the fresh off the street concierges tended to be much less helpful than the seasoned ones who had worked elsewhere in the company and had some idea how ticketing, etc worked. The new ones were a helpful check-in service but not much else where as the experience side of things really made the experience better when things went bad. I'm a few years out of date on being SE though.
That doesn't say very much. Inexperienced people are inexperienced. These days, with the culling-because-covid, and Amadeus coming in, most everyone is inexperienced, even those with many years on the job.

Originally Posted by CdnFlier
It's all about how they want to approach it though, is it just about bodies and someone to answer phones who are cheap and plentiful, or do you pay more and have fewer that can really make a difference in a traveler's day. They've picked the cheap and plentiful route.
I suppose I've only been doing this for 7(?) years, so maybe my good 'ol days weren't that good. But the prevailing view here has been to only ever talk to an agent or concierge if you already have a plan. Even concierges sometimes have to "talk to ticketing" or whatever. The primary value is the agentax ratio.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.