Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby and Upgrade List

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It's hard to tell with the minimal information available in those screenshots.

I would have shown the screenshot to the GA as soon as their statement didn't match what you saw. Not to be combative, but just to see if it could be clarified. After the fact, and without real data, we can't help much.
Good point, I'll chalk it up to a lesson learned and to ask more directly in a polite way. Thanks for the quick reply and next time if something is strange I'll try to document more.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Did you notice any captains in J when you boarded? My first guess would be the 2 names added were pilots, who have priority J seating over e-ups. Perhaps they were a late add to the manifest...
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
Did you notice any captains in J when you boarded? My first guess would be the 2 names added were pilots, who have priority J seating over e-ups. Perhaps they were a late add to the manifest...
Deadheading captains. Or J positive AC employees.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
Originally Posted by Stranger
Deadheading captains. Or J positive AC employees.
I've seen J-entitled employees before. They appear on the list, with checkmarks. They count towards a "full cabin".

Unless two were added right at the last minute, but why would it be done like that?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Accor Plat
I've seen J-entitled employees before. They appear on the list, with checkmarks. They count towards a "full cabin".

Unless two were added right at the last minute, but why would it be done like that?
I didn't notice any pilots but I wasn't actively looking for them nor when I boarded and walked through but only 2/3rds of J was boarded at that point - as I wasn't even next on the list I figured to board and get my bin space.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same as dead heading captains. Because they showed up at the last minute.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: AC SEMM, Marriott Titanium
Since the route switched to the Embraer my upgrade success has dropped from never missing to 50/50 at peak times. Whether I’m upgraded or not that cabin seats plenty of transitioning crew.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Premiere Elite - YEG
Since the route switched to the Embraer my upgrade success has dropped from never missing to 50/50 at peak times. Whether I’m upgraded or not that cabin seats plenty of transitioning crew.
If you're seeing FAs or FOs in J while you're on the upgrade list, there's a problem.

If you're seeing captains, that's annoying (for you), but working as intended.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I just boarded AC413 YUL-YYZ. J is full. There is a captain in J but there is also an FA. There is also one name still on the upgrade list. That name is also on the standby list so most likely a non-rev. It appears to be working properly.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
I'm assuming if you see a non-rev crew member in J, in uniform that got an U/G ahead of people on the list, it's probably due to positioning and crewing needs, or at least I would *hope* it is.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by jazzsax
I'm assuming if you see a non-rev crew member in J, in uniform that got an U/G ahead of people on the list, it's probably due to positioning and crewing needs, or at least I would *hope* it is.
Yes, that would be the typical reason. Those flying for personal reasons that have J rights, show up on the list below upgrades (and on both J & Y lists, which is how to spot them).
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:26 am

It seems we're wrong about what double-listing can mean.

I'm booked on AC 423 YUL-YYZ today, waitlisted for an upgrade. I am number 1 on the list.

However, I wanted to stand by for 421. I called the concierge, because I wanted to make sure I could clear into J. She seemed to think the upgrade request would follow the standby, and after putting me on standby, confirmed that it did.

I'm #2 for J and #1 for Y.

Speculating, #1 for J is a revenue passenger confirmed on the flight in Y, so would be above me (but there's positive R space, so that would be weird).

#3 and #4 for J are at the top of Y, right under me. I would guess that they're higher-up employees who are entitled to J travel. Or maybe they're in the same situation as I am.

However, this is definitely interesting, as it means revenue passengers can show up on both lists.
Attached Images   
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:45 am

Speculating, #1 for J is a revenue passenger confirmed on the flight in Y, so would be above me (but there's positive R space, so that would be weird).
Why would this be weird?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: *$ Green
Makes sense. Basically "standing by for Y but entitled to J" like an employee?

Did you request to be put on the flight even if you were in Y though? Cause I feel like this means you could potentially clear in Y but not J.

Also, are you on a lat fp?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by MaxFlying
Why would this be weird?
Because if there's R space on your flight, you can confirm the upgrade

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Makes sense. Basically "standing by for Y but entitled to J" like an employee?

Did you request to be put on the flight even if you were in Y though? Cause I feel like this means you could potentially clear in Y but not J.

Also, are you on a lat fp?
I made no such requests. I'm not even sure my inbound will arrive in time to make 421. If it was valid MCT, I would have just booked it that way. But I can't wait until I land in YUL, because the flight will have closed already.

I regularly go on standby for flights I have no clue if I'll make. Just a couple weeks ago, I was booked on 759, on standby for 739. I was downtown Toronto until after 739 departed.

This is a Flex booking for EYW. Real J standby doesn't show on both lists, and I suspect the priority is higher (though my position could be based on "SE J standby", which would be the same either way).

I like how we begged for the priority order to be disclosed, and were so grateful when it was, but it's missing so much information for situations like this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.