Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Latitude fare flight pass upgrades to business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Latitude fare flight pass upgrades to business class

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2023, 5:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by yowcat
I tried using the app to do a comp upgrade on a Florida Pass Lat on a flight that was J0Y0. I assumed it would fail but figured it never hurts to try once. The error was not that the upgrade was available but that I have an eUpgrade already confirmed. I know you can't confirm a comp when you are already upgraded; however, I removed my waitlist from this flight but I *do* have a confirmed upgrade on the return. Due to all the flights on that route that day being practically J0/Y0 cancelling and rebooking seems too risky.

If I do see J>1 occur should I expect the app to work or will I need to call in and hope I'm quick enough?
I believe you cannot downgrade yourself without calling in.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 9:07 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
If I do see J>1 occur should I expect the app to work or will I need to call in and hope I'm quick enough?
I can’t answer this, but would love to know the answer if your flight goes J>0.

I agree that cancelling a booking for a J0Y0 flight is definitely risky — I wouldn’t do it. I cancelled some eUpped segments when my complimentary upgrade window opened, and the J inventory did not return after the cancellation. I wouldn’t risk it.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ffsim

I agree that cancelling a booking for a J0Y0 flight is definitely risky — I wouldn’t do it. I cancelled some eUpped segments when my complimentary upgrade window opened, and the J inventory did not return after the cancellation. I wouldn’t risk it.
I had it worse. Flight was J1. I cancelled, and it went to J0
yowcat and aquanine like this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 9:24 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Brutal
yowcat likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 10:09 am

Sign error on the part of the programmer.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by vancouver25k
Sign error on the part of the programmer.
Jokes aside, I think there was likely a 2 pax PNR waitlisted for proper J (i.e. not an upgrade), so with J1, it couldn't clear, but with J2, it could.

So it's just another thing to consider in these situations.

I still don't think I've ever flown Y (on a multi-cabin aircraft) on a Y FP, nor have I used eUps. But sometimes things can get messy.
vancouver25k and aquanine like this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 11:04 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Jokes aside, I think there was likely a 2 pax PNR waitlisted for proper J (i.e. not an upgrade), so with J1, it couldn't clear, but with J2, it could.

So it's just another thing to consider in these situations.
With eUps no longer clearing within T-36, perhaps a reason to wait until after that marker to avoid this issue?

I still don't think I've ever flown Y (on a multi-cabin aircraft) on a Y FP, nor have I used eUps. But sometimes things can get messy.
I've used eUps many times, including just last week. When J=0, I'm not that inclined to risk it to save a few eUps and the other minor benefits the comp up confers. If there are a few seats in J, sure, I'll go ahead.

Although when I did a cancel and re-book the other day, the flight went from J3 before I cancelled, to J3 after I cancelled, to J1 after I re-booked. It did go back to J3 a bit later, but a good illustration of the imperfections in the process.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
With eUps no longer clearing within T-36, perhaps a reason to wait until after that marker to avoid this issue?
I don't think it was eUps. I think it was likely something like a paid J YYC-YVR-SYD, with YYC-YVR booked in Y but waitlisted for (paid) J.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 2:43 pm

Not sure if mine was worse: flight had plenty of J, I cancelled. Then the flight was sold out in Y.

Because of this I no longer request eups beforehand.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Changeup2000
Not sure if mine was worse: flight had plenty of J, I cancelled. Then the flight was sold out in Y.

Because of this I no longer request eups beforehand.
Well, you should be checking Y loads before attempting this

I think "having done all possible research", mine was worse. But if you don't do research, then yes, you can definitely have a worse outcome.

I request eUps beforehand because I've encountered J0 Y9 a lot more than J9 Y0. (but in the J0 case, I find it usually opens up somewhere between 24 and 2 hours before departure).
Adam Smith and aquanine like this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 4:56 pm

Well, you should be checking Y loads before attempting this

I think "having done all possible research", mine was worse. But if you don't do research, then yes, you can definitely have a worse outcome.

I request eUps beforehand because I've encountered J0 Y9 a lot more than J9 Y0. (but in the J0 case, I find it usually opens up somewhere between 24 and 2 hours before departure).
I swear it was Y = 2 before I cancelled it. But it took a few minutes to reload the booking page. Probably the Y space was gone during that period of time. I did make the mistake thinking cancelling would have put another Y into the pool. From hindsight, I should have called in to downgrade myself.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 7:19 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM
Originally Posted by ffsim
Since you asked! At T-2.5 hours it went from J0 to J2 (talk about excitement); however, the app failed to allow me to do the upgrade nor the website. I had to panic-call concierge where I actually got someone in about 5 minutes. Apparently if you have an eUpgrade on any leg of your file the app doesn't seem to know how to do the Comp upgrade. Concierge managed to make the magic work

So just reminds me not to book an outbound and return on the same file. Normally I always book FP as one ways but I think I booked this one early out when someone said "lets head out" and I just grabbed seats quickly and forgot to clean it up before it was too late =/
Old Feb 17, 2023, 1:40 pm

Since you asked! At T-2.5 hours it went from J0 to J2 (talk about excitement); however, the app failed to allow me to do the upgrade nor the website. I had to panic-call concierge where I actually got someone in about 5 minutes. Apparently if you have an eUpgrade on any leg of your file the app doesn't seem to know how to do the Comp upgrade. Concierge managed to make the magic work

So just reminds me not to book an outbound and return on the same file. Normally I always book FP as one ways but I think I booked this one early out when someone said "lets head out" and I just grabbed seats quickly and forgot to clean it up before it was too late =/
Awesome, thanks for the update — I’m glad it worked out.

I also tend to book 1-ways when using a FP, so that’s a good tip!
Old Mar 12, 2023, 6:23 am

Thanks for all the information on this thread! My first time doing this by calling in for complimentary upgrade at 5:30am, for a flight departing at 9am same day. It was a close one.
This flight was sold out months in advance (J0 Y0), probably due to March break.
Before the drive to airport, I found out plane swap from 12 seats Premium Rouge to 16 seats Premium Rouge.
EF said J4 Y9 then, but I was still too nervous to cancel the reservation at the last minute.

Called AC on the drive to airport, it took 30 minutes for agent to complete the complimentary upgrade. Perhaps I had checked-in and the process took longer?
Anyway, happy to bypass the gate eupgrade. As a lowly 50K, I wouldn't have cleared at gate.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 8:37 am

SDC after comp upgrade

Another case where my favorite flight (BOS - YYZ - YVR with an overnight layover in YYZ) has no Y, but quite some J.

Not wanting to wait the Y to be available at the last minute (which it may not), I plan to book my second best option (BOS - YUL - YVR with an overnight layover in YUL) and comp upgrade it to J. I suppose I can then SDC it to my first choice when the checkin is open (if the J cabin is still available).

I do not see any hole in my plan, but would like to hear critics from more experienced flyers here! Thanks a lot!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.