Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Latitude fare flight pass upgrades to business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Latitude fare flight pass upgrades to business class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by martinintheair
Does cancelling and rebooking run the risk of giving your cancelled J seat to an oversold passenger?

Thanks so much for your thoughts!
No, but there is a risk that AC's RM zero'ed out the flight in a way that the seats will not be returned to inventory.

Unlikely T-48 to T-24, but not impossible.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Does cancelling and rebooking run the risk of giving your cancelled J seat to an oversold passenger?

Thanks so much for your thoughts!
I have seen it before where if it's Y1J0 or similar where it won't release the space. If it's due to oversold or just a system mistake where it takes X hours to release the seat I'm honestly not sure. But if it's sitting in J0Y1 range I wouldn't play the game and just go with the eup (happens to me on the YYZ - YVR red eyes with the pods which tend to go J0 in advance often).
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
No, but there is a risk that AC's RM zero'ed out the flight in a way that the seats will not be returned to inventory.

Unlikely T-48 to T-24, but not impossible.

Oh! you're up too! morning!
Old Dec 27, 2019, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Yeah, if it's J1 Y1 I will absolutely risk everything.

If it's Y0 you simply can't do it. If it's J0 there's a risk it won't come back, but apart from one route, I've never personally experienced cabin sizing with that effect. And I've actually had decent luck getting RM to release J space in those situations, but I wouldn't recommend that for most people.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yeah, if it's J1 Y1 I will absolutely risk everything.

If it's Y0 you simply can't do it. If it's J0 there's a risk it won't come back, but apart from one route, I've never personally experienced cabin sizing with that effect. And I've actually had decent luck getting RM to release J space in those situations, but I wouldn't recommend that for most people.
This is so helpful, newbie here!

Do you know if the risk is still there if I called and asked for them to remove the eupgrade and add the comp upgrade online on the existing PNR vs. cancelling the PNR and rebooking?

I also looked up the flight availability on BCD and the numbers don’t necessarily always add up to the seat map totals for J on AirCanada.com. Is that normal?
Old Dec 27, 2019, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

I also looked up the flight availability on BCD and the numbers don’t necessarily always add up to the seat map totals for J on AirCanada.com. Is that normal?
Normal.

BCD, EF, KVS, etc. show inventory available to be sold by Air Canada, which does not necessarily match the seatmap. In addition, the seatmap shows SELECTED seats only, and people often book without selecting seats.

So, the seatmap is not a very good source for capacity, although you can sometimes infer from it at best.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'd say the risk is higher if an agent does it because they're slower than just doing it yourself
BlondeBomber likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: AC SE
Latitude FP - Complementary Upgrades

Hi All,
Considering buying the Latitude FP for East - West Trasnborder, Curious to hear from someone whom has bought this and their experience with the complementary upgrades and how often you get the upgrade, Other threads mention that if J>0 then you get the upgrade,
If you booked 12 hours before departure and J=1 with the $4500 seat available, would you get this complementary upgrade? assuming no one else buys that ticket. If J=0, and PY has room - Do you get access to seats in that cabin
Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:00 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
If J>0 when you request the complimentary upgrade, you get the seat. So in your example, if you book that flight and request the upgrade, yes, you will get it.

Note that the comp up is not automatic, you have to request it.

Probability of getting the upgrade is very high, but never guaranteed. It's possible for J to = 0 at T-48 when the comp up window opens. The best strategy is to eUp at the time of booking, then cancel and use the comp up if it's available at T-48. If J=0, leave it as-is. That virtually guarantees that you will get to sit in J.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 8:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Latitude Flight Pass upgrade question

Just purchased a Western Triangle to US Northeastern/Midwest Latitude Flight Pass.

After carefully reading the T&Cs, I suppose I can maximize my chance to get business upgrade while saving eupgrades by the following manner:

1. First, pre-book a flight that has either R space (by checking with cowtool's AC Reward Space Searcher) or appears eupgradable from Latitude fare in the AC website, and apply eupgrades to get instant upgrade into J cabin.
2. 48 hours before the flight takes place, check whether this flight still has J space (by checking with cowtool's AC Reward Space Searcher) or by dummy booking in the AC website. If it does have J space, just book another flight and immediately request complimentary upgrade. Once the complimentary upgrade is confirmed, cancel the original eupgraded booking.
3. If that flight does not have J space, but an alternative booking which is acceptable does have, then do step 2 with the alternative booking.
4. If no remaining flight credit is available, or no alternative booking which is acceptable has J space, call in and ask an agent to un-upgrade my original flight back into the Y cabin, and immediately request complimentary upgrade, hopefully the un-upgrade will create new J space.

Please let me now if there are any suggestions or comments on my plan. Thank you very much!
Old Jan 5, 2023, 8:12 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Changeup2000
Please let me now if there are any suggestions or comments on my plan.
You can't book the same flight twice, nor the same O/D pairing twice. Neither the FP app nor website will let you do so. You have to cancel first, then re-book and comp up, or phone in.
D582, canadiancow and Changeup2000 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
You can't book the same flight twice, nor the same O/D pairing twice. Neither the FP app nor website will let you do so. You have to cancel first, then re-book and comp up, or phone in.
Thanks a lot. Will do according to your instructions.

Sorry for one more question: I have yet to select my bundle 2 benefit, which I planned to defer with the bundle 1 benefits until after July 1. If I select the bundle 2 benefit after July 1, will it retroactively credit all my flight pass activities prior to that? Thanks a lot!
Old Jan 5, 2023, 9:59 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
Yes will do
Old Jan 6, 2023, 9:29 am

Sorry for one more question:

If the FP booking involves multiple legs, are those cleared for complimentary upgrade at two calendar days before the first flight, or each leg has to be cleared at two calendars before the respective flight? I ask this question because one of my trip involves an overnight layover ...

Edit: Since the last leg is a regional one, I decided to go ahead and book the trip anyway. Upon request of complimentary upgrade, all legs were cleared into J. It appears the two calendar days are calculated from the first flight.

Last edited by Changeup2000; Jan 6, 2023 at 9:39 am Reason: question solved
Old Feb 15, 2023, 4:40 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM
I tried using the app to do a comp upgrade on a Florida Pass Lat on a flight that was J0Y0. I assumed it would fail but figured it never hurts to try once. The error was not that the upgrade was available but that I have an eUpgrade already confirmed. I know you can't confirm a comp when you are already upgraded; however, I removed my waitlist from this flight but I *do* have a confirmed upgrade on the return. Due to all the flights on that route that day being practically J0/Y0 cancelling and rebooking seems too risky.

If I do see J>1 occur should I expect the app to work or will I need to call in and hope I'm quick enough?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.