Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
Moderator note: Any questions regarding availability/fare buckets on a specific flight or flights should be posted in the fare bucket check request thread. Any such posts in this thread will be deleted.

Q: When should I use eUpgrades, and when should I use AC Bid?
A: For starters, you can use both of them on a single booking. If one upgrade is accepted, the other is cancelled at no cost to you. One thing to consider is that eUpgrade priority is highly influenced by your Aeroplan Elite status and the fare class of the original ticket, but AC Bid is influenced by your bid as compared to other people. If you don't have a high Aeroplan Elite status, AC Bid may be the better choice for you.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade do I get additional SQM / SQD now for my flights?
A: No.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade on an International Flight leaving YYZ/YVR do I get access to the Signature Lounge?

Q: When will I find out if my bid was successful?
A: You will be sent an email within 36 to 48 hours prior to your departure.

Q: If I am successfully upgraded, which baggage limit applies?
A: The baggage rules of the upgraded ticket apply. Note that this is different than eUpgrades, where the original tickets baggage rules still apply.

Q: When do I pay for a bid?
A: Your credit card is only charged when the bid is accepted, which will happen no earlier than 48 hours before departure. Note that if your card is declined, even temporarily for a fraud check, you will lose the bid and will not get another opportunity.

Q: Can I cancel an AC Bid?
A: Yes, but only until 48 hours before departure.

Q: If I cancel the booking after successfully bidding for an upgrade, or if I miss the flight, will I get a refund?

Q: If Air Canada rebooks me on another flight, what happens to my AC Bid upgrade?
A: You keep it and Air Canada will put you in the upgraded cabin on the new flight. If the new flight does not have Premium Economy, or if there are not enough Business class seats, then your AC Bid will be refunded.

Q: I have a flight going from XXX to YYY on DD-MM-YY and the minimum bid is $ZZZ - what are my chances / what should I bid?
A: No one here really knows how Plusgrade as implemented by AC really 'decides' which bids to accept.
There are so many potential variables that it's best just to bid what you feel the upgrade is worth to you.

AC Bid Upgrade - FAQs

If your upgrade request is accepted, the fare conditions for the original ticket you purchased shall remain in effect and will be applicable with respect to cancellation policies, change fees, conditions for minimum and maximum stay, and rules relating to the accrual of frequent flyer miles. All other conditions will be per the upgraded fare class.

On the AC website:

"AC Bid Upgrade - Your opportunity to travel in a higher cabin class"

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Bid Upgrade Program

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
Speaking of 15-hr transpacific routes...

At T-40, bid upgrade accepted AC7 YVR-HKG 820 CAD (range was 800-1700 CAD) from PY Award (58k miles + $7) lowest to Signature Class (J). Pretty much a guarantee because Hong Kong requires 7 days quarantine hotel and those are bloody impossible to book, so the only people booking YVR-HKG last minute are those that are connecting somewhere. I had seen 12 open seats in J beforehand (and at least J9 C9 D8 Z7 by fare bucket thread). Took 1K on the 787-9. 15h40m flight, so ~$60CAD/hr.

Honestly I was tempted for a Last Minute purchase upgrade to save a few hundred, but for such a long flight I'd feel like an idiot if I didn't get offered it at check-in. Ironically now my PY Award has no PY in it, only mixed Y (SFO-YVR, selected a preferred seat for free?) and J.
commaspace likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by aquanine
Speaking of 15-hr transpacific routes...

At T-40, bid upgrade accepted AC7 YVR-HKG 820 CAD (range was 800-1700 CAD) from PY Award (58k miles + $7) lowest to Signature Class (J). Pretty much a guarantee because Hong Kong requires 7 days quarantine hotel and those are bloody impossible to book, so the only people booking YVR-HKG last minute are those that are connecting somewhere. I had seen 12 open seats in J beforehand (and at least J9 C9 D8 Z7 by fare bucket thread). Took 1K on the 787-9. 15h40m flight, so ~$60CAD/hr.

Honestly I was tempted for a Last Minute purchase upgrade to save a few hundred, but for such a long flight I'd feel like an idiot if I didn't get offered it at check-in. Ironically now my PY Award has no PY in it, only mixed Y (SFO-YVR, selected a preferred seat for free?) and J.
That's a robbery. I'm salty bc their transcon NA flights pricing is terrible. Wish more of these airlines J are pod-config instead of the typical NA domestic "first-class" config.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 2:00 am

Question Instant Upgrade payment declined

I have made repeated efforts (trying different UK credit cards) to buy an "Instant Upgrade" for my upcoming flight from LHR to YVR - but in all cases the payment is declined. My card issuers say that this is due to the website's failure to implement the correct 3D Secure protocols and there is nothing they will do to allow me to complete payment. Since the Instant Upgrade from plusgrade is only available online I cannot get any help with the transaction from the call centre. Can anyone suggest a solution - or am I doomed to travel in economy?
Old Jul 30, 2022, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeFlying
I have made repeated efforts (trying different UK credit cards) to buy an "Instant Upgrade" for my upcoming flight from LHR to YVR - but in all cases the payment is declined. My card issuers say that this is due to the website's failure to implement the correct 3D Secure protocols and there is nothing they will do to allow me to complete payment. Since the Instant Upgrade from plusgrade is only available online I cannot get any help with the transaction from the call centre. Can anyone suggest a solution - or am I doomed to travel in economy?
Can you buy a gift card then use that to upgrade?
Old Jul 30, 2022, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by vancouver25k
Can you buy a gift card then use that to upgrade?
I don't think it accept anything but a credit card, not even AC's own travel voucher.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 6:21 am

Programs: M&M, Oneworld, Aeroplan
Hi everyone!

I'm new to FT so please forgive any rookie mistakes

I'm travelling FRA-BOS on AC on August 6th, 2022 (AC845 FRA-YUL, AC750 YUL-BOS). My employer booked it so I could only get Economy class, but I would like to upgrade to Premium Economy or Business now. So from what I'm seeing, for AC845, bids are between 680€ and 1300€ for Business or between 230€ and 570€ for Premium Eco. Instant Upgrade to Business is 1225€ but I don't want to spend that much. For AC750, bids are 135€ to 355€ for Business, although if possible I'd actually rather not upgrade that leg, doesn't seem worth it for me.
So for FRA-YUL, EF shows 12 free seats in Business (although all with a handicapped symbol) and 4 free in Premium Eco. I'd be happy spending 400€ for Premium Eco, which would get me in the "even better" range, or 700€ for Business, which has no indicator.

I wanted to ask what you would recommend - go with a rather high bid for Premium Eco, or nearly the lowest possible for Business since half the seats are still unoccupied?
Or would you rather wait for a last minute upgrade during check-in, or even at the airport? Is it possible to say what the price range on these usually is?
And is it actually possible to only upgrade FRA-YUL, but not YUL-BOS? Or does that reduce my chance of a successful bid, or is even not possible at all?

Thanks a lot in advance, I'd appreciate your help a lot!
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by iYassin
Hi everyone!

I'm new to FT so please forgive any rookie mistakes

I'm travelling FRA-BOS on AC on August 6th, 2022 (AC845 FRA-YUL, AC750 YUL-BOS). My employer booked it so I could only get Economy class, but I would like to upgrade to Premium Economy or Business now. So from what I'm seeing, for AC845, bids are between 680€ and 1300€ for Business or between 230€ and 570€ for Premium Eco. Instant Upgrade to Business is 1225€ but I don't want to spend that much. For AC750, bids are 135€ to 355€ for Business, although if possible I'd actually rather not upgrade that leg, doesn't seem worth it for me.
So for FRA-YUL, EF shows 12 free seats in Business (although all with a handicapped symbol) and 4 free in Premium Eco. I'd be happy spending 400€ for Premium Eco, which would get me in the "even better" range, or 700€ for Business, which has no indicator.

I wanted to ask what you would recommend - go with a rather high bid for Premium Eco, or nearly the lowest possible for Business since half the seats are still unoccupied?
Or would you rather wait for a last minute upgrade during check-in, or even at the airport? Is it possible to say what the price range on these usually is?
And is it actually possible to only upgrade FRA-YUL, but not YUL-BOS? Or does that reduce my chance of a successful bid, or is even not possible at all?

Thanks a lot in advance, I'd appreciate your help a lot!
Since you have Expert Flyer, do an availability search and look for the number of available seats in J (for business) and O (for PY) instead of looking at the seat map. Seat maps are not an accurate representation of availability as not everyone will select a seat when booking.

No issue doing each leg separately, I would not pay to upgrade YUL-BOS, especially if I could just pay for a preferred seat.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
Since you have Expert Flyer, do an availability search and look for the number of available seats in J (for business) and O (for PY) instead of looking at the seat map. Seat maps are not an accurate representation of availability as not everyone will select a seat when booking.

No issue doing each leg separately, I would not pay to upgrade YUL-BOS, especially if I could just pay for a preferred seat.
Thanks a lot for your reply then I won't bother for YUL-BOS, I got myself a preferred seat now on the AC website.

Thanks for the hint with seat maps! So for FRA-YUL, Expert Flyer shows the following: J5 C4 D2 Z2 P0 R0 O0 E0 A0 N0 Y0 B0 M0 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0
From that I understand there's 13 seats left in Business, from that there are 5 in J (is that what they use for upgrades?), and nothing in PY at all? So no point in bidding for PY, but only for J?

Would you then bid something for Business or try your luck with the last minute upgrade?
Old Aug 1, 2022, 9:33 am

J is full fare business. R is the allocation for e-upgrade. The other ones are discounted business.

General rule $100/hr for business seat is considered to be worth it. If you decide PY, I would pick the right side (H,K) and not the left. AC for some reason let Y use PY lavatory so there'll be a queue of riffs raffs from Y using the toilet on the left. The one on the right side is curtained off. But it looks like full-house in PY already. You can check seatmap on ExpertFlyer and see if most seat are occupied.

If you are keen to fly J, I would pay the fare different/ instant upgrade for FRA-YUL, an 8 hr flight, and secure a pod. YUL-BOS isn't worth it's only an hour flight. Bid upgrade is a lottery process, there is no guaranteed. If you are keen to roll the dice, I would still pay for a preferred seat in Y first so at least I have a decent Y seat (row 18 on the dreamliner) if upgrade request isn't accepted.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by commaspace
J is full fare business. R is the allocation for e-upgrade. The other ones are discounted business.

General rule $100/hr for business seat is considered to be worth it. If you decide PY, I would pick the right side (H,K) and not the left. AC for some reason let Y use PY lavatory so there'll be a queue of riffs raffs from Y using the toilet on the left. The one on the right side is curtained off. But it looks like full-house in PY already. You can check seatmap on ExpertFlyer and see if most seat are occupied.

If you are keen to fly J, I would pay the fare different/ instant upgrade for FRA-YUL, an 8 hr flight, and secure a pod. YUL-BOS isn't worth it's only an hour flight. Bid upgrade is a lottery process, there is no guaranteed. If you are keen to roll the dice, I would still pay for a preferred seat in Y first so at least I have a decent Y seat (row 18 on the dreamliner) if upgrade request isn't accepted.
Thanks for the explanation! According to the seat plan there's still 4 seats free in PY, but @TechnoTourist mentioned people might not have selected a seat yet. So I guess PY is full? Too bad

Unfortunately row 18 is already full, too €1200 for the instant upgrade is really too much though, I guess then I'll take my chance in the bid upgrade and bid €700 or so. Or would anyone advise waiting for LMU?
Old Aug 1, 2022, 10:41 am

Can probably bid and hope it go through. If unsuccessful, inquire about LMU at check-in.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 5:41 pm

Programs: air canada, british airways,
I have successfully bid on an upgrade on an AC flight before. I had actually called AMEX to tell them that within the next 48 hrs a charge might be coming through, and gave the amount.... and the charge was declined by Amex because it came through under a name other than Air Canada. It may well be that they use a third party domain but of course proceed with caution! I wish I could remember what name it was as I have another bid in on a flight in September and would love to avoid this happening again!
Old Aug 3, 2022, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Plusgrade
Old Aug 4, 2022, 2:28 am

Same just happened to me. Will try my luck with the LMU now...
Old Aug 8, 2022, 4:42 pm

Programs: Asiana Diamond+, Qantas Gold, Virgin Gold
Offering another data point: I'm new to Air Canada long-haul in/out of Australia but booked a trip that includes SYD-YVR-SYD later this month as the fare in PY was less than what Qantas wanted in Y.

I'd then bid on an upgrade to J for $1,500 CAD, which I later found on this thread matches up quite nicely to the $100/hour benchmark.

Today I noticed an instant upgrade available for $1,700 CAD for the SYD-YVR and figured I'd just do it. The original bid may have been successful in the end, but worth it to me to pay just a touch more for the peace of mind to know I have it and look forward to over the next week, as well as grab one of the last window seats.

As an aside, I see what a few of you mean about the less impressive pricing on domestic and trans-border flights: for my next sector, YVR-DEN on a 737, they wanted $500 CAD for the instant upgrade. I'll stick to my exit row. 😉

Will report back on the return YVR-SYD sector in a few weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.