FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Bid Upgrade Program
View Single Post
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:30 am
TechnoTourist

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by iYassin
Hi everyone!

I'm new to FT so please forgive any rookie mistakes

I'm travelling FRA-BOS on AC on August 6th, 2022 (AC845 FRA-YUL, AC750 YUL-BOS). My employer booked it so I could only get Economy class, but I would like to upgrade to Premium Economy or Business now. So from what I'm seeing, for AC845, bids are between 680€ and 1300€ for Business or between 230€ and 570€ for Premium Eco. Instant Upgrade to Business is 1225€ but I don't want to spend that much. For AC750, bids are 135€ to 355€ for Business, although if possible I'd actually rather not upgrade that leg, doesn't seem worth it for me.
So for FRA-YUL, EF shows 12 free seats in Business (although all with a handicapped symbol) and 4 free in Premium Eco. I'd be happy spending 400€ for Premium Eco, which would get me in the "even better" range, or 700€ for Business, which has no indicator.

I wanted to ask what you would recommend - go with a rather high bid for Premium Eco, or nearly the lowest possible for Business since half the seats are still unoccupied?
Or would you rather wait for a last minute upgrade during check-in, or even at the airport? Is it possible to say what the price range on these usually is?
And is it actually possible to only upgrade FRA-YUL, but not YUL-BOS? Or does that reduce my chance of a successful bid, or is even not possible at all?

Thanks a lot in advance, I'd appreciate your help a lot!
Since you have Expert Flyer, do an availability search and look for the number of available seats in J (for business) and O (for PY) instead of looking at the seat map. Seat maps are not an accurate representation of availability as not everyone will select a seat when booking.

No issue doing each leg separately, I would not pay to upgrade YUL-BOS, especially if I could just pay for a preferred seat.