Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
Moderator note: Any questions regarding availability/fare buckets on a specific flight or flights should be posted in the fare bucket check request thread. Any such posts in this thread will be deleted.

Q: When should I use eUpgrades, and when should I use AC Bid?
A: For starters, you can use both of them on a single booking. If one upgrade is accepted, the other is cancelled at no cost to you. One thing to consider is that eUpgrade priority is highly influenced by your Aeroplan Elite status and the fare class of the original ticket, but AC Bid is influenced by your bid as compared to other people. If you don't have a high Aeroplan Elite status, AC Bid may be the better choice for you.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade do I get additional SQM / SQD now for my flights?
A: No.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade on an International Flight leaving YYZ/YVR do I get access to the Signature Lounge?

Q: When will I find out if my bid was successful?
A: You will be sent an email within 36 to 48 hours prior to your departure.

Q: If I am successfully upgraded, which baggage limit applies?
A: The baggage rules of the upgraded ticket apply. Note that this is different than eUpgrades, where the original tickets baggage rules still apply.

Q: When do I pay for a bid?
A: Your credit card is only charged when the bid is accepted, which will happen no earlier than 48 hours before departure. Note that if your card is declined, even temporarily for a fraud check, you will lose the bid and will not get another opportunity.

Q: Can I cancel an AC Bid?
A: Yes, but only until 48 hours before departure.

Q: If I cancel the booking after successfully bidding for an upgrade, or if I miss the flight, will I get a refund?

Q: If Air Canada rebooks me on another flight, what happens to my AC Bid upgrade?
A: You keep it and Air Canada will put you in the upgraded cabin on the new flight. If the new flight does not have Premium Economy, or if there are not enough Business class seats, then your AC Bid will be refunded.

Q: I have a flight going from XXX to YYY on DD-MM-YY and the minimum bid is $ZZZ - what are my chances / what should I bid?
A: No one here really knows how Plusgrade as implemented by AC really 'decides' which bids to accept.
There are so many potential variables that it's best just to bid what you feel the upgrade is worth to you.

AC Bid Upgrade - FAQs

If your upgrade request is accepted, the fare conditions for the original ticket you purchased shall remain in effect and will be applicable with respect to cancellation policies, change fees, conditions for minimum and maximum stay, and rules relating to the accrual of frequent flyer miles. All other conditions will be per the upgraded fare class.

On the AC website:

"AC Bid Upgrade - Your opportunity to travel in a higher cabin class"

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Bid Upgrade Program

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2022, 11:48 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Do they accept anything above the minimum bid level if there are seats available?
Old Apr 14, 2022, 5:28 pm

When your bid is accepted do they assign you specific seats or can you go in and manually choose? Looking to upgrade my husband and myself and I would like us somewhat together.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 6:13 pm

Programs: AC 50K
Originally Posted by Kerrilyn Short
When your bid is accepted do they assign you specific seats or can you go in and manually choose? Looking to upgrade my husband and myself and I would like us somewhat together.
You do get to choose
Old Apr 16, 2022, 10:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan
If you purchase PY, but bid upgrade to J, do you get the J level SQM percentage?
Old Apr 16, 2022, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TheViperOne
If you purchase PY, but bid upgrade to J, do you get the J level SQM percentage?
I'm going to update the wiki, but no.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: AC 50K
Originally Posted by TheViperOne
You get the SQM of your pruchased fare. Upgrade is just the seat and ground service. SQD is not included as well
Old Apr 18, 2022, 10:31 am

Odd situation

tonight HNL - YYZ

bid $750 for business class got denied ….each person

today online check in … $417 USD each passenger … scooped that up. Thanks Air Canada - saved me $500 cad lol.

Tickets were bought $888 for both us (buddy pass).

$744 one way business class for the each of us on a red eye flight for 8 hrs 45 mins was a steal (I think)
YULRvR, Bohemian1, YYC3722 and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 1:24 am

LHR-YYC 22nd April looks to be 2/3 empty in J. I have put in a bid, just above minimum. Is it worth seeing what the deal is at online check in for an upgrade? Considering the cabin looks to be very empty.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by AJL49
LHR-YYC 22nd April looks to be 2/3 empty in J. I have put in a bid, just above minimum. Is it worth seeing what the deal is at online check in for an upgrade? Considering the cabin looks to be very empty.
If your bid gets rejected, why not give it a shot at OLCI? I'd certainly give it a look, and you don't have to commit if it's beyond your range!
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:54 am

My bid to upgrade was accepted (lowest bid). But my card blocked the payment so AC cancelled my bid!? How stupid is that, why not in the email let me resubmit my card details. Less than 48 hours now, so I can’t submit another offer
Old Apr 21, 2022, 10:05 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
How early do they really decide to accept the bids? I know that you can submit unto 48 hours but in reality do they decide it earlier or they wait for the 48 hours to do so?
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:36 am

Sad to see that HNL-YYZ direct flight is no longer available somehow...
Old Apr 21, 2022, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
It's the end of the Hawaii travel season now so many of the flights are ending or are getting downgauged to 737 Max from YVR.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 12:22 pm

Hi all,

I am looking for advice on how to get the best value on Air Canada flights next year. We are planning for a skiing trip next year and would like to travel in the best class possible at a reasonable price.
  • I wonder if booking early means the prices are low and we would only save a little by taking the risk of using bid upgrade or if the saving is good enough to take the risk knowing that we may end up in coach?
  • Also advice on which tickets to book (and any other hints) to maximise chances e.g. is Latitude better then standard?

Flying LHR-YYC outbound 2nd or 3rd April 2023, return 13th April, 3 of us, 2 adults and a 12 year old.
I recently setup on Aeroplan account, but don't have any points.
Do not need to have flexible tickets (although nice to have)

Economy tickets vary from CAD$ 627 to $932 for Latitude out, $290 to $686 return
Premium is CAD$1220 outbound, $1054 return
Business is CAD $2096 out (which is less important), $1764 return

Many thanks
Old Apr 25, 2022, 7:55 am

Programs: AP AS BA
Originally Posted by fopmr
Hi all,

I am looking for advice on how to get the best value on Air Canada flights next year. We are planning for a skiing trip next year and would like to travel in the best class possible at a reasonable price.
  • I wonder if booking early means the prices are low and we would only save a little by taking the risk of using bid upgrade or if the saving is good enough to take the risk knowing that we may end up in coach?
  • Also advice on which tickets to book (and any other hints) to maximise chances e.g. is Latitude better then standard?

Flying LHR-YYC outbound 2nd or 3rd April 2023, return 13th April, 3 of us, 2 adults and a 12 year old.
I recently setup on Aeroplan account, but don't have any points.
Do not need to have flexible tickets (although nice to have)

Economy tickets vary from CAD$ 627 to $932 for Latitude out, $290 to $686 return
Premium is CAD$1220 outbound, $1054 return
Business is CAD $2096 out (which is less important), $1764 return

Many thanks
Welcome to FT!
Booking early will always be cheaper (in all classes). Using bid upgrade will most likely save you some money but as you said, your bid might not be successful. A good compromise would be to book in PY. I don't think the type of fare you buy (PY lowest vs PY flex) affects your odds of your bid being successful - only the bid amount needed.

If you're not married to AC/*A, consider Westjet as well.

Lastly, April might be a bit late for good skiing. March would be better but it all depends on your availability. DM me for more hints and tips.
fopmr likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.