Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
Moderator note: Any questions regarding availability/fare buckets on a specific flight or flights should be posted in the fare bucket check request thread. Any such posts in this thread will be deleted.

Q: When should I use eUpgrades, and when should I use AC Bid?
A: For starters, you can use both of them on a single booking. If one upgrade is accepted, the other is cancelled at no cost to you. One thing to consider is that eUpgrade priority is highly influenced by your Aeroplan Elite status and the fare class of the original ticket, but AC Bid is influenced by your bid as compared to other people. If you don't have a high Aeroplan Elite status, AC Bid may be the better choice for you.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade do I get additional SQM / SQD now for my flights?
A: No.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade on an International Flight leaving YYZ/YVR do I get access to the Signature Lounge?

Q: When will I find out if my bid was successful?
A: You will be sent an email within 36 to 48 hours prior to your departure.

Q: If I am successfully upgraded, which baggage limit applies?
A: The baggage rules of the upgraded ticket apply. Note that this is different than eUpgrades, where the original tickets baggage rules still apply.

Q: When do I pay for a bid?
A: Your credit card is only charged when the bid is accepted, which will happen no earlier than 48 hours before departure. Note that if your card is declined, even temporarily for a fraud check, you will lose the bid and will not get another opportunity.

Q: Can I cancel an AC Bid?
A: Yes, but only until 48 hours before departure.

Q: If I cancel the booking after successfully bidding for an upgrade, or if I miss the flight, will I get a refund?

Q: If Air Canada rebooks me on another flight, what happens to my AC Bid upgrade?
A: You keep it and Air Canada will put you in the upgraded cabin on the new flight. If the new flight does not have Premium Economy, or if there are not enough Business class seats, then your AC Bid will be refunded.

Q: I have a flight going from XXX to YYY on DD-MM-YY and the minimum bid is $ZZZ - what are my chances / what should I bid?
A: No one here really knows how Plusgrade as implemented by AC really 'decides' which bids to accept.
There are so many potential variables that it's best just to bid what you feel the upgrade is worth to you.

AC Bid Upgrade - FAQs

If your upgrade request is accepted, the fare conditions for the original ticket you purchased shall remain in effect and will be applicable with respect to cancellation policies, change fees, conditions for minimum and maximum stay, and rules relating to the accrual of frequent flyer miles. All other conditions will be per the upgraded fare class.

On the AC website:

"AC Bid Upgrade - Your opportunity to travel in a higher cabin class"

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Bid Upgrade Program

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I've also had situations where the bid was not apparently not successful, but got no email of any kind.
Did the bid status page update? My offer page says, 'pending'.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 1:58 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Rip2184
Did the bid status page update? My offer page says, 'pending'.
The status page said pending until departure and then it basically said nothing. And no email. Other times I got notified at T-72 or around T-48 either way.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:52 am

I just received an 'unable to upgrade' message.

Flight AC5 (YYZ-HND)
Business Class Min/Max bid $1000-2500
My bid $1750

There still appears to be one seat for sale on the AC website
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:04 pm

Wow! I can't believe such a high bid wasn't successful.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mykel67
Wow! I can't believe such a high bid wasn't successful.
Rather than bid, might as well call AC and find out what the cost is to change to J (Z/P etc). May be the same or perhaps less than the $1700 bid.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Rip2184
I just received an 'unable to upgrade' message.

Flight AC5 (YYZ-HND)
Business Class Min/Max bid $1000-2500
My bid $1750

There still appears to be one seat for sale on the AC website
Be interested to see what sort of LMU you are offered if any. Though $1750 wouldn't be unheard of if you are currently Tango.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
Be interested to see what sort of LMU you are offered if any. Though $1750 wouldn't be unheard of if you are currently Tango.
I just called AC to confirm my economy seat number and ask about a potential upgrade. It appears only one business class seat remains and according to her the flight is "almost oversold". I expect any LMU option to be quite expensive.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:40 am

Been reading this thread for awhile now, I placed a bid just to try as I wouldn't mind sitting in PE instead of Economy for the AC6 flight. Bid $600 and got it, minimum bid was $480. Last I checked the cost of PE was $1900 for the flight so I wasn't expecting to get it as I only paid $550 for tango. The flight was actually pretty full which explained why LMU to Business was really high.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:53 pm

Bid $1505 for Business Class AC11 (YUL<->PVG). Not accepted. Looks like maybe only one seat left - still hoping for LMU option tomorrow at a reasonable price.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by Sopwith
I have an opportunity to bid YYZ-TLV in mid April. Haven't done this bid thing before. Currently booked in PE. If I bid and it isn't accepted is there any chance my PE seat selection will be messed up? I'm seeing successful bids in the $500-650 range.

Any advice?
My $730 bid was not accepted, but on check in it offered an LMU for roughly double that, so apparently seats were available.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:46 am

April 7th - AC5 YYZ-HND I bid $1,750 on Business Class and it was denied. The LMU price ended up being $5,200.

April 22nd - AC6 HND-YYZ I bid $1,750 on Business Class and it was denied. The LMU price ended up being 144,000 Yen. I was able to purchase the seat and it ended up being slightly less than my bid ($1,698/Cdn hit my credit card).

Last edited by Rip2184; Apr 24, 2018 at 12:27 pm
Old Apr 25, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA PLAT, EK GOLD, Hilton Diamond
Going through this thread, but can't find my answer, so forgive me if this has already been asked. My bid was accepted from PE to J, and now my booking shows Fare Class R. I know the upgrade comes from R, but does that mean that is my new fare class now, or does it remain N? As far as I can tell, R class does not earn any mileage on United, or even with Aeroplan? What am I getting wrong here?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by M Singh
Going through this thread, but can't find my answer, so forgive me if this has already been asked. My bid was accepted from PE to J, and now my booking shows Fare Class R. I know the upgrade comes from R, but does that mean that is my new fare class now, or does it remain N? As far as I can tell, R class does not earn any mileage on United, or even with Aeroplan? What am I getting wrong here?
Points will be credited per the original booking class, N.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by M Singh

@M Singh

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Points will be credited per the original booking class, N.
Right.

As per the FAQ page on Air Canada linked in the wiki above:

What are the fare rules of the upgraded ticket?

If your upgrade request is accepted, the fare conditions for the original ticket you purchased shall remain in effect and will be applicable with respect to cancellation policies, change fees, conditions for minimum and maximum stay, and rules relating to the accrual of frequent flyer miles. All other conditions will be per the upgraded fare class.

How many miles can I earn?

Aeroplan Miles may be accrued from flights auctioned in the AC bid upgrade online auction. The basis for calculation is the original booking class of the flight segment being auctioned and not the upgraded class of service.
Old May 15, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy PE; Hilton Diamond
Here's a data point for those that care:

T-48hours -- advised that my bid was not accepted
YYZ-TLV -- bid $440 USD
PE to J
Air Canada online is showing 8 J seats available

LMU -- T-24 hours notes upgrade from PE --> J -- $1437 CDN -- no wonder my bid was rejected
**edit***. TLV - YYZ — bid $480USD — ACCEPTEDPE to JAir Canada showed 10 seats available in J and 6 in PE. Post upgrade, there were 8 seats left in J.

Last edited by Sam_AE; May 20, 2018 at 11:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.