Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Throwback Thursday

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2020, 1:22 pm

Seats in most intercontinental jets such as the DC8,707,VC10 etc. were definitely wider than the 18-20" seats of today. The overhead bins were smaller, but back in the day people weren't trying to bring their whole wardrobe and the kitchen sink into the passenger cabin like today so smaller bins were not a major issue..
Old May 22, 2020, 1:34 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Genetk44
Seats in most intercontinental jets such as the DC8,707,VC10 etc. were definitely wider than the 18-20" seats of today.
The 707 was the same width as the 737 is today (and 757), and I think the DC-8 was about the same. Was AC doing 5-across seating at that time? That's the only way it would work to have wider seating, just looking at basic math.

The overhead bins were smaller, but back in the day people weren't trying to bring their whole wardrobe and the kitchen sink into the passenger cabin like today so smaller bins were not a major issue..
But didn't you also walk out of the plane and pick up your baggage there? Contrast that to today when one might have to arrive at the airport significantly earlier to drop off baggage, risk bags misconnecting (and eliminate possibilities for SDC etc), and have a lengthy wait for bags at the other end.
Old May 22, 2020, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The 707 was the same width as the 737 is today (and 757), and I think the DC-8 was about the same. Was AC doing 5-across seating at that time? That's the only way it would work to have wider seating, just looking at basic math.

But didn't you also walk out of the plane and pick up your baggage there? Contrast that to today when one might have to arrive at the airport significantly earlier to drop off baggage, risk bags misconnecting (and eliminate possibilities for SDC etc), and have a lengthy wait for bags at the other end.
you are correct...the cabin widths of the DC8, 707 and 737 are virtually the same. I've just tried to find actual seat widths on the older aircraft. As best as I can tell they are virtually the same as today. The big difference is in padding, much much thicker than today...and far more comfortable and seat pitch....seems like it was 34-38 inches in economy depending on the airline.

as far as luggage....its like today...checked bags were dropped at curbside( if available) or at the checkin counter when you checked-in and got your boarding pass. Upon arrival you got your checked luggage at the luggage hall just like today. Of course in those days every bag was weighed. Did bags misconnect or go missing in those days...of course. No different than today.
Old May 22, 2020, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you are correct...the cabin widths of the DC8, 707 and 737 are virtually the same. I've just tried to find actual seat widths on the older aircraft. As best as I can tell they are virtually the same as today. The big difference is in padding, much much thicker than today...and far more comfortable and seat pitch....seems like it was 34-38 inches in economy depending on the airline.
Apparently they were the same on all three Boeing, 148 in fuselage with, about 140 in cabin width. The DC-8 appears to have been one inch narrower.

as far as luggage....its like today...checked bags were dropped at curbside( if available) or at the checkin counter when you checked-in and got your boarding pass. Upon arrival you got your checked luggage at the luggage hall just like today. Of course in those days every bag was weighed. Did bags misconnect or go missing in those days...of course. No different than today.
Worked as of today, correct. As to weighing, definitely they were at least in those parts of the world where the rules were weight-based. Not sure in North America where rules were piece-based.

But I suspect the rate of misconnect was likely less. First because more point-to-point, and second, because the business was slower and more fancy. And typically luggage would take less time to show up.
Old May 22, 2020, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Apparently they were the same on all three Boeing, 148 in fuselage with, about 140 in cabin width. The DC-8 appears to have been one inch narrower.

Worked as of today, correct. As to weighing, definitely they were at least in those parts of the world where the rules were weight-based. Not sure in North America where rules were piece-based.

But I suspect the rate of misconnect was likely less. First because more point-to-point, and second, because the business was slower and more fancy. And typically luggage would take less time to show up.
i do remember, every time we checked in for a flight the checked bags were weighed, here in Canada,in the US and in London and Rome. South America too. Weight was very critical in those days for both weight and balance and for fuel calculations. Plus those turbojets did not have the kind f thrust and power that modern engines have.
Old May 22, 2020, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i do remember, every time we checked in for a flight the checked bags were weighed, here in Canada,in the US and in London and Rome. South America too. Weight was very critical in those days for both weight and balance and for fuel calculations. Plus those turbojets did not have the kind f thrust and power that modern engines have.

I do remember in Europe and south America, where luggage rules were weight based. I neverflew in North America in the seventies, so no direct experience. :-)

But sure, I believe you.
Old May 28, 2020, 1:29 pm

This may be slightly off topic as it clearly has the wrong livery, however it seemed appropriate for the Throwback thread.

circa 1973 if I had to guess, taken from dad's plane
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old May 28, 2020, 2:52 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Nice shot! Although it might be more appropriate to post in the CP thread.

And Yes, I am kidding.

But now you've got me trying to figure out the livery of those DC-3s (I think) in the background.
nomadic.relief likes this.
Old May 28, 2020, 11:38 pm

You're safe. Lots of AC Viscounts in the background.
Which airport is that?
Old Sep 17, 2020, 10:56 am

Spring of 1998 seat sale from YVR.
Airfares included meals, luggage, blankets, pillows.....

AJchang and YYCCL3 like this.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Perfect timing for this thread to make an appearance. I found an old luggage tag from my time in YYE in the 80s and didn't know where to post it
Old Sep 17, 2020, 3:06 pm

I don't recall AC flying to YYE in the '80s.
Or any decade for that matter.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 3:18 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by tracon
I don't recall AC flying to YYE in the '80s.
Or any decade for that matter.
I'm not sure where the tag was acquired, but the address on the other side is in Fort Nelson and in my mom's handwriting so I know it's from someone in my family.

We always flew CP to get home.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 6:01 pm

1993 YVR
Old Sep 24, 2020, 7:21 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Anyone have any old timetables? I'm curious what aircraft type would have been operating YYC-LHR back in 1999.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.