Air Canada Throwback Thursday

Old Oct 6, 16, 9:51 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Why? Why? Zed! / Why? You? Elle! / Gee! Are You!
Programs: Irrelevant
Posts: 3,525
Air Canada Throwback Thursday

I was going through various drives gathering stuff for my next round of digital shredding and came across this, brings back memories of carrying a manilla envelope stuffed with certs all the time. Glad those days are past. ^

jaysona is offline  
Old Oct 6, 16, 10:01 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC E35K
Posts: 6,917
I remember that one time in March I threw away two red certs.
zorn is offline  
Old Oct 6, 16, 10:44 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Programs: AC50 MM
Posts: 793
and I recall one January trip when the CUN agent who processed our upgrades (who really had no idea what to do, as a contract check-in agent) returned the certs for me to reuse the following month!

Balanced I guess by repeated delays in obtaining earned certs by mail. Once they were couriered to me and another time Andrew Yu kindly forewarned the local concierge that I was to be upgraded without the delayed certs. But you could book the upgrade hoping the paper cert would be delivered in time. (Don't mention kind colleagues donating them, or worse selling through a TA)

On balance I prefer the ecerts - there you go AC - an IT SUCCESS!!
tomvancouver is online now  
Old Oct 6, 16, 10:59 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 29,334
Originally Posted by jaysona View Post
I was going through various drives gathering stuff for my next round of digital shredding and came across this, brings back memories of carrying a manilla envelope stuffed with certs all the time. Glad those days are past. ^

Ah the memories. Thanks for sharing!

Psst, got any SSWUs?
yyznomad is offline  
Old Oct 6, 16, 11:15 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Why? Why? Zed! / Why? You? Elle! / Gee! Are You!
Programs: Irrelevant
Posts: 3,525
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
Ah the memories. Thanks for sharing!

Psst, got any SSWUs?


jaysona is offline  
Old Oct 6, 16, 1:08 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Canada
Programs: Aeroplan E50, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Posts: 1,645
Oh, those memories. I recall standing at the gate in LAX and being asked for them. Full flight, generally chaotic and noisy. Fumbling thru carry-on and having trouble locating them. GA snapping "you have one min, otherwise the people behind get the upgrade because they have theirs". Fortunately, they turned up. Who needs that stress?

New system is better. Except that in the old days sometimes they didn't actually ask for them. Unfortunately, that only seemed to happen nearer to the end of the benefit year when it was less likely there was another opportunity to use them.
Bartolo is offline  
Old Oct 6, 16, 1:21 pm
  #7  
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: FRA / YEG
Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Posts: 11,544
I only got to experience the paper certs for 1.5 years - and I too prefer the e-upgrade system.

Anyone remember setting an alarm clock for 2a.m./3a.m./etc. (23:59 based on the time in the departure city) so one could call AC and secure the upgrade? I certainly don't miss that.
Jasper2009 is offline  
Old Oct 6, 16, 1:37 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 29,334
Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
I only got to experience the paper certs for 1.5 years - and I too prefer the e-upgrade system.

Anyone remember setting an alarm clock for 2a.m./3a.m./etc. (23:59 based on the time in the departure city) so one could call AC and secure the upgrade? I certainly don't miss that.
I used to have other FTers call in for me.
yyznomad is offline  
Old Oct 6, 16, 1:45 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 1,314
I also remember being told J was full and to take my Y seat. At the last minute there would be no shows and they would come through the cabin to perform upgrades from the wait list. You needed to produce the cert before they would hand you the BP and let you collect your stuff and move.
172pilot is offline  
Old Oct 6, 16, 1:55 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: YOW
Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Posts: 2,678
The gate agents used to cancel these - ie write 'Used' across them in a pen or Sharpie.

I have a friend that would carefully remove the staple, hide the SSWU and claim it was already collected when they sometimes neglected to write 'Used' on them.

Or this friend would claim that they were removed at the last station...ie when connecting from YOW-YYZ-XXX- would say "my SSWU was lifted in YOW."

It was the best of times, but it was the worst of times!
Antonio8069 likes this.
Plumber is online now  
Old Oct 6, 16, 1:57 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 29,334
Originally Posted by Plumber View Post
Or this friend would claim that they were removed at the last station...ie when connecting from YOW-YYZ-XXX- would say "my SSWU was lifted in YOW."
We remember this all too well. The constant issues with agents demanding a cert when it was lifted on a previous segment.
yyznomad is offline  
Old Oct 6, 16, 2:00 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: YOW
Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Posts: 2,678
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
We remember this all too well. The constant issues with agents demanding a cert when it was lifted on a previous segment.
They never knew which way was up, and would usually give in as they have a crowed waiting to board ... BUT once in a while, they would be very insistent...LOL
Plumber is online now  
Old Oct 6, 16, 2:05 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 29,334
Originally Posted by Plumber View Post
They never knew which way was up, and would usually give in as they have a crowed waiting to board ... BUT once in a while, they would be very insistent...LOL
The contract staffers were the worst. They had no idea of protocol and I know many that exploited their ignorance to the very end.
yyznomad is offline  
Old Oct 6, 16, 2:09 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: YOW
Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Posts: 2,678
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
The contract staffers were the worst. They had no idea of protocol and I know many that exploited their ignorance to the very end.
Like my friend
Plumber is online now  
Old Oct 6, 16, 2:19 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,685
Ah...by looking at the SSWU cert, I miss the good old days when A and L fare class buckets (along with bunch of others) were Tango Plus (aka Flex).
agjil is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: